Introduce a song

Rutlefan

That others might not have heard before but is worth hearing. The Church vs Echo and the Bunnymen thread got me You Tube surfing, and stumbling across this old favorite inspired this thread.

Not an obscure song -- you might have heard it at Bed Bath and Beyond for example -- but you might not know who made it ... or why: from Kids soundtrack, best description of the song I've read: "Nearly impossible to separate (the song) from the film that made it famous, "Natural One" is a lullaby to androgyny and drugs. Where lack of responsibility is confused for freedom and f*cking is confused for love, the song and film seem to encapsulate their own private hells that make for an odd cleansing process for the viewer." Thank you YouTube commentator. Well put!

• Like 4

From their 1st EP, released just before 2nd album:

Riverside - Acronym Love

Edited by marb1984

Also recommended are Spaniards from Franklin (the album Life Circle needed 33 years from recording to be released):

Everyone's heard of Marilyn Manson but I feel like not enough people recognize his musical and empathetic talent, and how much he has matured as an artist. His new album is great, and Third Day of a Seven Day Binge is very dark and catchy.

Edited by Day of Light

Here's a band I've posted about before. They're a Spanish band called Pata Negra (Black Foot). They play a fusion of blues and flamenco. This track is instrumental, and captures the spirit of what they do. It's the title track of their 1987 album, which was a big seller for them in Europe.

• Like 1

I saw Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon, solo) perform with Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Jesu and many other eclectic projects) play their Jesu/Sun Kil Moon collaboration album on Friday night in Brooklyn at their only American show in support of the album. This track lean towards the Sun Kil Moon sound over the Jesu sound, but it's of my favorite tracks off the album and the lyrics Mark wrote paint a heartfelt tribute to Chris Squire and Kozelek's friend also named Chris who like Squire had leukemia (but according to Mark himself, he ended up dying of a totally unrelated cause).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDxH0-F8i8

• Like 2

One of my all time favorite singers

RIP Stiv

Whores Of Babylon

( Dee Dee and Johnny Thunders had a fight before the session began, and Stiv ended up using guys from The Godfathers, Generation X and Sigue Sigue Sputnik for the recroding )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

Johnny Thunders reminds me of my personal favorite "rock n roll bad boy" -- the Keith Richard/Slash/Joey Ramone hair-in-the-face-don't-give-a-sh*t attitude I mean -- the late Nikki Sudden of Swell Maps lore, especially as he counts Johnny Thunders as an influence. From wiki: The main influences on Sudden's music were artists such as T. Rex, the Rolling Stones, the Faces, Bob Dylan and Johnny Thunders. Good stuff.

• Like 3

Adagio is a French prog metal band. A friend of mine joined them and sang on one album - 2005´s Dominate. This is one of the best tracks on that album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNgwmlYlEbs

This song is great! I like this band...I am going to check them out! Great singer.

• Like 1

Since I threw out a Nikki Sudden tune earlier, I'll follow up with his former band's poppermost tune. Three-chord progression? They don't need no steenking three-chord progressions. Why use three chords when two works perfectly fine. The "I'm in Love with My Car" of the garage/post-punk scene:

• Like 1