2016 MLB Season Thread

The Analog Cub

What has gotten into the Indians? Three taters - and almost a fourth - in one inning? :notworthy:

It happens a lot in the softball league.

• Like 1

What is happening with Hamels? This is really, really bad! :(

Holy cow. Sorry to see what happened. In more ways than one.

Yours,

Bitter Phillies Phan

It was even worse in person. Hamels ain't right. Probably just age but his control is off. I'll be betting the r@ngers tomorrow.

What has gotten into the Indians? Three taters - and almost a fourth - in one inning? :notworthy:

Yeah, that inning would have been better with a couple of hapless pitchers thrown into the line up. Pinch hit Stevie Wonder while they're at it...

Yeah, that inning would have been better with a couple of hapless pitchers thrown into the line up. Pinch hit Stevie Wonder while they're at it...

Nah, old fat guys with shriveled up balls provides a nice contrast. Just don't call it baseball.

Nah, old fat guys with shriveled up balls provides a nice contrast. Just don't call it baseball.

christie-softball-3.jpg
  • Like 1

christie-softball-3.jpg

:LOL:

Christie couldn't even play in the American League these days, not even as a catcher. Especially with the new rule that you have to leave a lane open to the plate.

• Like 1

Whew Tribe survived,,, Bauer starting is always a fingers crossed proposition. Kluber on the mound tonight feel better about our chances. Just observation, but man those announcers really seemed butt sore because Porcello was rocked with those three homers. Really cheerleading him on inning afterward.. :cheerleader: Showing little bit of biased for the bean town boys... GO TRIBE!!!!!
  • Like 1

Yours,

Bitter Phillies Phan

It was even worse in person. Hamels ain't right. Probably just age but his control is off. I'll be betting the r@ngers tomorrow.

Its extremely difficult for a lefty to have any success against Toronto

And now for the resumption of the Tx Tor drama. Ill be there thurs afternoon to see who gets checked. I'll be watching for a Ged sighting as well.

I'm not real thrilled, to be honest. A week of having to look at that a**hat Bautista, and then the chance of our outfield having to dodge racial slurs and beer cans in Toronto? I was definitely rooting for Baltimore.

Last year TOR had home field, and the away team won 4 of the 5 games, with the Jays winning game 5. You guys have home field this year, so grabbing those first two in Arlington is crucial.

I feel a little better about pulling this off than I did last year. But, our pitching is making me nervous.

Just saw a clip of that bomb by Encarnación. Holy smokes, he crush it! The Blue Jays are easy to root for... I'm on board! :cheerleader:

The O's relief pitcher, who is normally a starter, who was in there in the 11th inning of a one-game playoff with runners on first and third and one out, who was facing the heart of the Jays' lineup, who was in there instead of ace closer and probable Cy Young candidate Zach Britton (who is a perfect 47-for-47 in saves on the year), served up a fat juicy meatball to Encarnación. In other words, Showalter f***ed up.

This is a product of the coddled closer movement going on in MLB. Closers only want to come in in save situations. This is how most teams would have handled the situation. If Baltimore would have taken the lead in the top half of the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th etc, then Britton could have come in and got the glamorous save. Saves are a dumb statistic IMO.

• Like 1

And now for the resumption of the Tx Tor drama. Ill be there thurs afternoon to see who gets checked. I'll be watching for a Ged sighting as well.

I'm not real thrilled, to be honest. A week of having to look at that a**hat Bautista, and then the chance of our outfield having to dodge racial slurs and beer cans in Toronto? I was definitely rooting for Baltimore.

Last year TOR had home field, and the away team won 4 of the 5 games, with the Jays winning game 5. You guys have home field this year, so grabbing those first two in Arlington is crucial.

I feel a little better about pulling this off than I did last year. But, our pitching is making me nervous.

Just saw a clip of that bomb by Encarnación. Holy smokes, he crush it! The Blue Jays are easy to root for... I'm on board! :cheerleader:

The O's relief pitcher, who is normally a starter, who was in there in the 11th inning of a one-game playoff with runners on first and third and one out, who was facing the heart of the Jays' lineup, who was in there instead of ace closer and probable Cy Young candidate Zach Britton (who is a perfect 47-for-47 in saves on the year), served up a fat juicy meatball to Encarnación. In other words, Showalter f***ed up.

This is a product of the coddled closer movement going on in MLB. Closers only want to come in in save situations. This is how most teams would have handled the situation. If Baltimore would have taken the lead in the top half of the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th etc, then Britton could have come in and got the glamorous save. Saves are a dumb statistic IMO.

No question, the arbitrary save definition is complete and utter bullshit, but Britton was pretty pissed about not being used (not to mention he had better stats in non save situations). And Buck used him in Toronto in a tie game late in June. Buck f***ed up but it wasn't that he wanted to appease his closer.

No question, the arbitrary save definition is complete and utter bullshit, but Britton was pretty pissed about not being used (not to mention he had better stats in non save situations). And Buck used him in Toronto in a tie game late in June. Buck f***ed up but it wasn't that he wanted to appease his closer.

I don't think Britton was griping or the cause for this particular situation. It's incredible during the regular season how many extra inning games are lost by visiting teams and they never use their closer.

In this situation I don't know how the hell you don't bring in Britton once you get the runner on first.

I don't think Britton was griping or the cause for this particular situation. It's incredible during the regular season how many extra inning games are lost by visiting teams and they never use their closer.

In this situation I don't know how the hell you don't bring in Britton once you get the runner on first.

I agree with all of this. Fortunately it appears that at least some managers (Francona for one) are starting to use their best guys in higher leverage situations than in the ninth with a three run lead. And Showwalter not withstanding, I think we'll see a much better usage pattern in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Giants-Cubs on Fox Sports 1? :moon: How about putting the playoffs on a major network?

In other news...how about those Dodgers?

It's NL Baseball, with pitchers hitting and managers thinking. Who wants to watch that? Fat guys on roids.. much more compelling.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Yours,

Bitter Phillies Phan

Its extremely difficult for a lefty to have any success against Toronto

You think people would learn :LOL:

Good game this morning (last night over there) with the Cubs just pipping the Giants with a solitary (home) run in the 8th.. looking forward to tonights encounter.. I still think it'll be a B. J's v Indians final though !
  • Like 1

Always hopeful yet discontent.... Our track record closing out series against Red Soxs.... GO TRIBE JUST DO IT!!!!