Top 5 Favorite rock solo acts

Entre_Perpetuo

Seems straightforward, interesting question. Here's some notes:

--The obvious ones obviously count (e.g. Sammy Hagar, Billy Squire, Bryan Adams, etc.)

--The ones with their name followed by the name of their band--or a similar name configuration--also count (e.g. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Paul McCartney and Wings, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, etc.)

--The artists who came kinda close to rock, but were more of another genre, are decidedly debatable and must be defended (e.g. Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison etc.)

--artists who had a solo career but are much more well known for their career with a band are extremely debatable and must must must be defended (e.g. Geddy Lee, Roger Taylor, maybe even Ozzy Osborne, etc.).

--if an artist is mentioned in someone's list and is questioned by another person, that artist is considered debatable and must be defended

--top 5 lists are preferable

I can't decide yet, so go! :)

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Great choices (though I'm tempted to question Chris Cornell, but I heard a solo song of his on the radio a few times recently, so I'll let it be)! :)

I'm going to now say that top 5 lists would be preferable, and edit the OP.

Keep on goin'!

• Like 1

Great choices (though I'm tempted to question Chris Cornell, but I heard a solo song of his on the radio a few times recently, so I'll let it be)! :)

Keep on goin'!

Fair enough on Chris Cornell, but come on the guy has golden pipes. It's the main reason I listen to his stuff. He could sing me the phone book. :coy:

• Like 2

Keep on goin'!

Fair enough on Chris Cornell, but come on the guy has golden pipes. It's the main reason I listen to his stuff. He could sing me the phone book. :coy:

Can't argue with that.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Jon Bon Jovi (Blaze Of Glory is amazing)

Stevie Nicks

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

I just knew you'd put down the Boss (been listening to Darkness on he Edge of Town recently, btw, like it). However, I'd like to hear a case for MJ being a ROCK solo act.

• Like 1

Ozzy's first two albums are two of my favorite studio albums by anyone, ever. They are as good as any Ozzy era Sabbath album.

After revitalizing Sabbath in 1980, and then leaving two years later, Ronnie James Dio (Dio is not a band, sorry) put out two absolutely amazing solo albums.

Elton John.

Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Jimi Hendrix.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

I just knew you'd put down the Boss (been listening to Darkness on he Edge of Town recently, btw, like it). However, I'd like to hear a case for MJ being a ROCK solo act.

Most of Bad, bits of Thriller, the edge of Dangerous.

If 1984, Power Windows or Billy Joel can be referred to as rock, so can MJ.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

Good point on PoW and Joel, and I suppose you could add Hot Space in there (by Queen). I'll take it.

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

Good point on PoW and Joel, and I suppose you could add Hot Space in there (by Queen). I'll take it.

I personally thought Stevie Nicks solo career would be the most argued on my little list haha! Love her...

I don't really play solo acts that much, outside of pop or side projects from main bands. I must fix that!

Keep on goin'!

Yes but have you ever listened to Audioslave??? Yeesh

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

Well, Billy Joel is soft rock. The piano is used as the main instrument instead of the guitar like most rock bands. So, that makes him lighter sounding but I still think he's rock. The same with Elton John.

• Like 2

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

Well, Billy Joel is soft rock. The piano is used as the main instrument instead of the guitar like most rock bands. So, that makes him lighter sounding but I still think he's rock. The same with Elton John.

I still think my examples are rock, but at the same time, like Michael Jackson, I can understand someone disputing that. But it all depends on ones definition of rock.

I have a hard time thinking of Coldplay as rock, but I guess they are too many people!

• Like 1

Keep on goin'!

Yes but have you ever listened to Audioslave??? Yeesh

Yep. I have all three of them. It's pretty grungy but he still sounds great. I don't listen to those that often but every now and then I am in the mood for them. My oldest daughter introduced them to me. As far as his bands go I much prefer Soundgarden to Audioslave.

Edited by catherine

Oh, Erm, by the way. Little embarrassing but my dad just mentioned this to me.

No one's mentioned the king of rock himself, Elvis Presley.

Just sayin'.

• Like 2

Bruce Springsteen

Tom Petty

Michael Jackson

Stevie Nicks

Wait wait wait. How is Joel soft rock when some of his most popular tunes are "You May Be Right," "Still Rock and Roll To Me," "Angry Young Man," "Movin' Out," and "My Life?"

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Just sayin'.

Elvis Presley

Johnny Cash

Carl Perkins

Jerry Lee Lewis

Roy Orbison

• Like 1

Just sayin'.

Elvis Presley

Johnny Cash

Carl Perkins

Jerry Lee Lewis

Roy Orbison

I'm gonna have to question Cash and Roy; they're pretty fringey on the rock side of things.