Happy 36th Birthday Permanent Waves

Bigbobby10

Seriously, did radio stations play Spirit Of Radio before the official Jan 1st release ??

I vividly remember sitting in the front seat of the car as my Dad drove me to a guitar lesson one night ( one of 2 ill-fated lessons ) ... anyways, I was dreading the fact that I'd be learning the basic chords to Blowin' In The Wind, and as we were at a stop sign, the DJ says

"And now, the new one from . . . RUSH"

There was that brief moment of silence before the song began, and I remember holding my breath in anticipation

As the flanged-out opening notes of The Spirit Of Radio, I was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH !!!!!!!!!

:D

Damn. I was in the car with my mom and heard something to that effect too. on the radio. Then hearing tsor. Saw them 5 months later age 13.

97 rock. Buffalo ny

• Like 1

Seriously, did radio stations play Spirit Of Radio before the official Jan 1st release ??

I vividly remember sitting in the front seat of the car as my Dad drove me to a guitar lesson one night ( one of 2 ill-fated lessons ) ... anyways, I was dreading the fact that I'd be learning the basic chords to Blowin' In The Wind, and as we were at a stop sign, the DJ says

"And now, the new one from . . . RUSH"

There was that brief moment of silence before the song began, and I remember holding my breath in anticipation

As the flanged-out opening notes of The Spirit Of Radio, I was like OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH !!!!!!!!!

:D

Funny thing, I clearly remember first hearing TSOR on the radio as a teenager. Thought it was amazingly awesome, but I resisted getting the album because I was so obsessed with Hemispheres that I thought anything that follows is bound to be a letdown, and so I boycotted it for awhile, in a way. But I finally couldn't resist, for obvious reasons (Rush being my favorite band by far), and predictably I was disappointed it wasn't Hemispheres Mk II. I sought out similarities and found some in Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science, but it was a far more "conventional" album to me so I initially didn't love it. But eventually I came to accept that Rush can't continually do Hemi and I came to love it. I now think it's Rush's "Revolver" (with MP being their "Abbey Road").

BTW, "conventional" doesn't mean it wasn't a '70s album to my ears. Really, it's not like an Jan 1, 1980 I thought, "Ooh, now we are in a new decade, the music will be markedly different from 12:01 am on." It sounded like what had been going on the last couple years, except it was Rush. the thing was (and this isn't a criticism), 1978's Hemispheres was kind of retrograde; PeW simply caught Rush up with the rest of the music world, which had been going in a different direction from the roots of Hemispheres for several years already. Saying PeW is different from Hemi and is therefore an '80s album is based on a false premise (that being, Hemispheres was in the mainstream of late '70s rock). Anyway...

Happy Birthday to one of the Greats! Whenever I recommend Rush to someone with really good musical tastes I recommend they start with PeW.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

My favorite album from the band and the last of the Golden 70's Era of RUSH.

WRONG! Moving Pictures closed out '70s Rush in Feb of 1981. :blah: ;)

• Like 1

Natural Science is my favorite song from Permanent Waves.

Mine too :cheers:

Mick

Mine is the perfect Jacob's Ladder. Some with more digital abilities than me should start a poll thread, "What is your favorite song from Permanent Waves?" Every song a good candidate (well, Entre Nous is a bit filler, but fitting filler).

Edited by Rutlefan

Would this have made it more "80s" ??

It's ok, but I hate the red RUSH font

This cover with the Hemispheres or debut logo would have been very cool

And I would have liked the Starman on every cover in some way - as part of the logo

http://img.rush.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/permamnet-waves-spread-3-2015-billboard-510-510x502.jpg

• Like 1

^ I just love the cover they used. It's perfect. Not only my favorite Rush cover, but probably my favorite cover by anyone. Also fits the music perfectly, the monochrome feel of it.
  • Like 3

ok, I transformed it back - to the 70s .... here we go

Now, just replace Entre Nous with Garden Road, and we've got ourselves an album

http://s26.postimg.org/k1c4etsah/permamnet_waves70s.jpg

Edited by Lucas

What is your favorite song from Permanent Waves?" Every song a good candidate (well, Entre Nous is a bit filler, but fitting filler).

:(

I think Permanent Waves wins the distinction of the best production job of any Rush album. I love the drum sound in particular on it, but everything just shines.

It's an arguable point, certainly, as far as which one is the best in that regard. But I say it's Permanent Waves.

• Like 2

As I mentioned earlier I didn't buy PeW till much later but my local record store gave me in early 80 a heap of unused promo posters in which PeW was one.That thing was blue tacked on my wall next to Weekend Warrior Nugent and four blokes standing in a field called Led Zeppelin for ages until I finally got the album in about 83/84.I heard on late night radio Natural Science and thought that's an ok tune,better get the record.

Someone from the NYC metro area here that was above the age of reason in 1980 can confirm or not, but I honestly don't remember ever hearing one song on the radio from this album other than TSOR.

Freewill. WNEW 102.7 would play Freewill sometimes.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

The Permanent Waves Album says thank you for the birthday wishes. It would come on here and thank you itself, but it's kind of hungover from it's weekend bash.

Definitely one of their best. It blows Signals - Roll The Bones totally out of the water. This is REALLY unpopular but I like Counterparts on more, but I still love this album.

Someone from the NYC metro area here that was above the age of reason in 1980 can confirm or not, but I honestly don't remember ever hearing one song on the radio from this album other than TSOR.

So, then, Grep, you will agree with me that prior to MP, Rush was rarely, if ever played on the radio in the NYC metro area? I just want to make sure my memory is accurate.

I remember hearing Fly By Night and CTTH a lot in the seventies, but do you ever remember hearing Xanadu? I don't remember hearing it on the radio - ever.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier I didn't buy PeW till much later but my local record store gave me in early 80 a heap of unused promo posters in which PeW was one.That thing was blue tacked on my wall next to Weekend Warrior Nugent and four blokes standing in a field called Led Zeppelin for ages until I finally got the album in about 83/84.I heard on late night radio Natural Science and thought that's an ok tune,better get the record.

Dig that Rick Neilsen avatar!

So, then, Grep, you will agree with me that prior to MP, Rush was rarely, if ever played on the radio in the NYC metro area? I just want to make sure my memory is accurate.

I remember hearing Fly By Night and CTTH a lot in the seventies, but do you ever remember hearing Xanadu? I don't remember hearing it on the radio - ever.

I remember WNEW playing songs from Signals when it was first released.
  • Like 1