The Official 2016 Chicago Cubs thread...

laughedatbytime

Just watching the Cardinal game. They're having Kolten Wong Hawaiian jersey night giveaway. Didn't they just send him down?

They did. Reddit was having a good laugh about that.

Contreras called up, Federowicz DFA'ed. Contreras will probably get sent back down when Soler comes back.

Interesting. He's supposed to be bad defensively, but I can't see how he could be worse than Montero.

When SOLER gets back it will be interesting to see who gets more time. SOLER or Almora. If they don't play Alomora he'll be back at Iowa but I like what I've seen.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Contreras called up, Federowicz DFA'ed. Contreras will probably get sent back down when Soler comes back.

Interesting. He's supposed to be bad defensively, but I can't see how he could be worse than Montero.

When SOLER gets back it will be interesting to see who gets more time. SOLER or Almora. If they don't play Alomora he'll be back at Iowa but I like what I've seen.

I expect it'll be pretty even playing time between Soler, Almora, and Coghlan.

I agree Montero has been pretty bad defensively at catcher.

I expect it'll be pretty even playing time between Soler, Almora, and Coghlan.

I agree Montero has been pretty bad defensively at catcher.

That was a costly wild pitch yesterday (that should have been a passed ball.)

Pirates are in such a slump, I can't even put up this guy- :madra: . Best hope is with Niese or new guy Taillon pitching on Sunday night, he has an awesome curve ball. I'm hoping for 2 out of 3 but I know that is very very very optimistic! :facepalm:

Had Arrieta been in that 6th inning situation against the Nationals he probably would've given up like 4 runs.

Otherwise, that's a shitload of strikeouts, Jake!

Not sure what the Pirates were doing, taking two pitches right down the middle. And then letting their version of Clayton Richard (he may have been worse) to face 4-5 hitters? It's almost like they'd rather go home than lose another WC game.

Fowler leaving early tonight with hamstring issues. Not good.

Almora certainly isn't lacking in defense, though. Guess Zobrist will just be hitting leadoff if Fowler has to go on the DL.

Im looking forward to seeing what happens with the Yankee's bullpen....Miller and or Chapman could be on the move. Yankees are still technically in the race, but if they slide at all in the next couple weeks there will be a sale.

I think its going to be Nats or Cubs getting one of those elite Yankee relievers. Both are absolutely filthy....I think the cubs will go for Miller as Chapman is just a rental.

Im looking forward to seeing what happens with the Yankee's bullpen....Miller and or Chapman could be on the move. Yankees are still technically in the race, but if they slide at all in the next couple weeks there will be a sale.

I think its going to be Nats or Cubs getting one of those elite Yankee relievers. Both are absolutely filthy....I think the cubs will go for Miller as Chapman is just a rental.

I don't think the Yankmes will be dropping out of the race in the next two weeks; they have four home games against the Twins.

I'm almost obsessive about hoarding young players. I didn't want to see Baez or SOLER traded last winter, but if they can get an eighth inning guy that's not a rental, I think they should do it. Strip, Miller, and Rondon would be a nice 7th, 8th, and 9th inning combo. But even then, it depends on the price.

I don't think the Yankmes will be dropping out of the race in the next two weeks; they have four home games against the Twins.

I'm almost obsessive about hoarding young players. I didn't want to see Baez or SOLER traded last winter, but if they can get an eighth inning guy that's not a rental, I think they should do it. Strip, Miller, and Rondon would be a nice 7th, 8th, and 9th inning combo. But even then, it depends on the price.

Miller might cost more than Chapman. There are other good relief pitchers out there that can be solid and add good depth. Cubs bullpen isn't bad at all- question is do you want to upgrade with an elite arm or just add another really good arm to take a little of the load off the rest of the guys. Hamel and Hendricks have been pitching well but usually exit in the 6th.

Miller might cost more than Chapman. There are other good relief pitchers out there that can be solid and add good depth. Cubs bullpen isn't bad at all- question is do you want to upgrade with an elite arm or just add another really good arm to take a little of the load off the rest of the guys. Hamel and Hendricks have been pitching well but usually exit in the 6th.

We need another lefty bad for the bullpen. Travis Wood is the only consistently serviceable lefty in the pen. Clayton Richard will give up a run every time you put him on the mound. That's why Miller would be worth looking into in July.

As far as trading young players for him...a reliever isn't worth a Schwarber or a Baez. Not even close. But maybe a prospect or two. We've got loads of depth for the outfield in the Major Leagues alone, so it wouldn't be the worst trade if it was outfielders.

Hammel and Hendricks have been fine and can go deep into games. Thankfully Hammel is channeling his inner Bumgarner and is providing his own run support. I just hope he can keep this up the whole season and not shit the bed on schedule after the all star break. Hendricks has had some bad luck with run support lately, so around inning 5 or 6 Maddon's been pulling him for a pinch hitter to get some offense going.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

I don't want Chapman, and probably wouldn't even if he was a rental. Not worth it in terms of clubhouse chemistry.

Miller is another story unless there's something I'm not aware of.

I don't want Chapman, and probably wouldn't even if he was a rental. Not worth it in terms of clubhouse chemistry.

Any player that's bad news in the clubhouse I want nowhere near the Cubs. We already had to deal with Zambrano, Milton Bradley, and Michael Barrett.

I'll keep watching Sean Rodriguez fight a cooler, though.

• Like 1

Any player that's bad news in the clubhouse I want nowhere near the Cubs. We already had to deal with Zambrano, Milton Bradley, and Michael Barrett.

I'll keep watching Sean Rodriguez fight a cooler, though.

Chapman moght be a dirtbag off the field, but i dont know if theres any evidence hes a bad teammate. Game 7 of NLCS youre up by 1 in the 9th and Harper is up to bat...you want Chapman

Rondon's first career at bat was too damn funny. His bunting stance was so stupidly goofy as was his quick snarky smile back to dugout once he stepped in the box.

When you've never batted before but your power stance is so strong that you give the other pitcher second thoughts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/6/5/6/184937656/061816_rondon2_med_445n8j4z.gif

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Hendricks out after 6 with 12 strikeouts. Beautiful.

Huge bonerkill once I saw Clayton Richard warming up in the pen though. PLEASE GOD NO wait till we're up by like 10 runs.