The Genesis Thread

Bigbobby10

IMO some of the Peter Gabriel albums have a lot of filler. It's like listening to musak. Albums like Nursery Cryme and Wind and Wuthering are a bit boring.

IMO some of the Peter Gabriel albums have a lot of filler. It's like listening to musak. Albums like Nursery Cryme and Wind and Wuthering are a bit boring.

Wind & Wuthering isn't high on my list but I think Nursery Cryme is great!

Of course that is just my opinion :)

• Like 3

It's prog that maybe doesn't have the heavier, harder edge, that I know you like. (And I do too, but I'm just saying- I love the Gabriel era).

Foxtrot and Selling England are my favourites.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

It's prog that maybe doesn't have the heavier, harder edge, that I know you like. (And I do too, but I'm just saying- I love the Gabriel era).

I don't mind the softer edge stuff (though yes I do prefer the harder stuff) but I just think so much of it is meandering without any real direction.

I don't mind the softer edge stuff (though yes I do prefer the harder stuff) but I just think so much of it is meandering without any real direction.

Fair enough. :) But I dig it!

Fair enough. :) But I dig it!

And that's fine too. :)

Top 20 Genesis songs also

(no order)

1. The Knife

2. The Musical Box

3. The Cinema Show

4. Firth of Fifth

5. Watcher of Skies

6. Suppers Ready

7. Follow You, Follow Me

8. Behind the Lines

9. Abacab

10. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

11. In the Cage

12. I Know What I Like

13. Dancing on a Volcano

14. Invisible Touch

15. That's All

16. Home by the Sea

17. Land of Confusion

18. A Trick of the Tail

19. The Return of Giant Hogweed

20. I Can't Dance

• Like 5

I prefer the Phil stuff, but I like most of it. Except for Calling All Stations, that album is terrible. Songs like "If That's What You Need" are just not for me.

Put it this way I like CAS more than I like WCD. By far. If you resequenced WCD and got rid of some fluff It wouldnt be so bad. The strongest moments on CAS are not as good as the strongest in Dance but Dance was waaaay more filler. At least 2 sides of pure filler.

• Like 1

I have my seconds out disc pulled out and ready for next weekend sometime. One of my all time favorite live albums

I have yet to get that disc. Adding it to my list.

• Like 2

I have my seconds out disc pulled out and ready for next weekend sometime. One of my all time favorite live albums

It used to be hard to find before the interwebz. I saw it in a college town record store years ago , used

It used to be hard to find before the interwebz. I saw it in a college town record store years ago , used

It's even on Amazon Prime now. I usually buy music I like but Prime is great for previewing whole albums.

• Like 1

I prefer the Phil stuff, but I like most of it. Except for Calling All Stations, that album is terrible. Songs like "If That's What You Need" are just not for me.

Put it this way I like CAS more than I like WCD. By far. If you resequenced WCD and got rid of some fluff It wouldnt be so bad. The strongest moments on CAS are not as good as the strongest in Dance but Dance was waaaay more filler. At least 2 sides of pure filler.

Which songs would those be?

My top 20 at the moment. I started to rank them, but that was an exercise in futility. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

It'll be obvious I prefer the Hackett years to post-Hackett, and that The Lamb is my least favorite of those early records (not counting From Genesis to Revelation...).

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight

Firth of Fifth

The Cinema Show

Can-Utility and the Coastliners

Entangled

Mad Man Moon

Watcher of the Skies

Supper's Ready

The Fountain of Salmacis

The Knife

Stagnation

I Know What I Like

The Musical Box

One For the Vine

Afterglow

The Battle of Epping Forest

Duchess

A Trick of the Tail

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Dusk

Eh, what the hell. 21-25 would be:

Heathaze

Squonk

The Return of the Giant Hogweed

Silver Rainbow

Abacab

• Like 5

My top 20 at the moment. I started to rank them, but that was an exercise in futility. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

It'll be obvious I prefer the Hackett years to post-Hackett, and that The Lamb is my least favorite of those early records (not counting From Genesis to Revelation...).

Dancing With the Moonlit Knight

Firth of Fifth

The Cinema Show

Can-Utility and the Coastliners

Entangled

Mad Man Moon

Watcher of the Skies

Supper's Ready

The Fountain of Salmacis

The Knife

Stagnation

I Know What I Like

The Musical Box

One For the Vine

Afterglow

The Battle of Epping Forest

Duchess

A Trick of the Tail

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Dusk

Eh, what the hell. 21-25 would be:

Heathaze

Squonk

The Return of the Giant Hogweed

Silver Rainbow

Abacab

nice list :ebert:

I saw Hackett in a small club not too many years ago and in an intimate setting of a couple of hundred people it was definitely a night to remember :haz:

• Like 2

Big fan of all their eras but especially the prog years. I think Calling All Stations is probably their most under rated and most under appreciated. And there were three is another one though.

Top ten songs? I'll do twenty instead(no order).

Supper's Ready

Firth of Fifth

Cinema Show

Los Endos

Unquiet slumbers for the sleepers

Colony of Slippermen

The Musical Box

Fading Lights

Dodo/lurker

Dukes Travels/dukes end

After the Ordeal

Home by the Sea/ Second home by the Sea