Legacy if T4E Marked the End

JohnRogers

I feel sorry for kids today who don't really have their own generational music. Not their fault really, just a cultural thing. But when I hear about teenagers or people in their early '20s getting into Rush or Pink Floyd or whatever I always imagine an alternative universe where, as a teenager in the '70s, I was buying Glenn Miller and Bing Crosby records instead of Zeppelin and The Clash. That's the unfortunate world these kids live in; listening to the music of their parents or grandparents, bands that had their heyday long before they were born.

Many of us listen too a lot of modern stuff, but don't bother mentioning it as so many older ones go "that's not real music we had it better", so meh.

Pretty much, although I do think pop music was much better in the 70s/80s.

Some of the worst pop came from those decades as well! Ignore the classics, pick up some random hit compilations: so much dreck!

Same goes for today as well!

I agree, but there is NOTHING I like from the most famous Pop artists now (Nikki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.) At least artists back then had to put at least a little effort into their music, now it's just built on a computer with the "artists" name and face slapped on the cover.

Yeah, sure, all the most popular pop music is generally shite, but there are quite a few artists currently doing really interesting things with pop. Tame Impala, Future Islands, Tegan and Sara, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, St. Vincent...no fair to say "at least artists back then had to put at least a little effort into their music" not all music today is made on a computer

There are some good bands still out there but you have to really hunt to find them. You can't just turn on the radio anymore and hear anything decent unless it's Sirius XM or something.

You might have to hunt for them, but just because you might dislike a lot of modern bands doesn't mean they are rubbish.

There are a ton of great new bands out there today. You just won't hear them on the radio. I have a free Sirius trial with my new car and you don't really hear anything new and original there either. It's out there though!
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for kids today who don't really have their own generational music. Not their fault really, just a cultural thing. But when I hear about teenagers or people in their early '20s getting into Rush or Pink Floyd or whatever I always imagine an alternative universe where, as a teenager in the '70s, I was buying Glenn Miller and Bing Crosby records instead of Zeppelin and The Clash. That's the unfortunate world these kids live in; listening to the music of their parents or grandparents, bands that had their heyday long before they were born.

Many of us listen too a lot of modern stuff, but don't bother mentioning it as so many older ones go "that's not real music we had it better", so meh.

Some of the worst pop came from those decades as well! Ignore the classics, pick up some random hit compilations: so much dreck!

I agree, but there is NOTHING I like from the most famous Pop artists now (Nikki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.) At least artists back then had to put at least a little effort into their music, now it's just built on a computer with the "artists" name and face slapped on the cover.

Yeah, sure, all the most popular pop music is generally shite, but there are quite a few artists currently doing really interesting things with pop. Tame Impala, Future Islands, Tegan and Sara, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, St. Vincent...no fair to say "at least artists back then had to put at least a little effort into their music" not all music today is made on a computer

There are some good bands still out there but you have to really hunt to find them. You can't just turn on the radio anymore and hear anything decent unless it's Sirius XM or something.

You might have to hunt for them, but just because you might dislike a lot of modern bands doesn't mean they are rubbish.

You're right but I didn't say that. :). I agree that the most popular stuff tends to be the the shallowest or most fluffy, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

There are a ton of great new bands out there today. You just won't hear them on the radio. I have a free Sirius trial with my new car and you don't really hear anything new and original there either. It's out there though!

Depends on what you consider "new". It can still be new to you.

You're right but I didn't say that. :). I agree that the most popular stuff tends to be the the shallowest or most fluffy, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that.

Aaah I getcha!

Mainstream wise...I have temporary guilty pleasures, but only Taylor Swift sticks!

Aaah I getcha!

Mainstream wise...I have temporary guilty pleasures, but only Taylor Swift sticks!

I rarely ever listen to the radio so the top ten stuff usually wiggles it's way into my consciousness through tv exposure.

I literally have no patience for the music sucks now arguement.

I'm sorry you're lazy. and also wrong.

Mick

That would be me 1000% and I have no shame in admitting it. There could be great music being made left and right today and I wouldn't have a clue. You are spot on with this post Mick (if there is indeed great music being made today :LOL: ).... :cheers:

lol

Uncle Narpski

• Like 2

I am really glad it did not all come to an end with T4E. Musically it doesn't matter too much. I've enjoyed all the post '96 albums to varying degrees but the idea that Rush came to a halt because of family tragedy seems to compound the sadness. The personal healing and recovery of NP is a much better legacy than the story of succumbing to grief. The guys got to finish their touring career (if indeed it is over) with nothing really left undone, no feeling of a premature exit. They were a hard working band that gave a lot and got much in return. To return from the depths of despair and finish on their terms with everyone's health and sanity intact is fitting - that's the legacy.

Now I'll just wait for the archival releases to roll out

I am really glad it did not all come to an end with T4E. Musically it doesn't matter too much. I've enjoyed all the post '96 albums to varying degrees but the idea that Rush came to a halt because of family tragedy seems to compound the sadness. The personal healing and recovery of NP is a much better legacy than the story of succumbing to grief. The guys got to finish their touring career (if indeed it is over) with nothing really left undone, no feeling of a premature exit. They were a hard working band that gave a lot and got much in return. To return from the depths of despair and finish on their terms with everyone's health and sanity intact is fitting - that's the legacy.

I think the fact that they made it through that tragedy and continued on and beyond just added to their legacy in a positive way. If they had stopped after TFE then I agree that they would be remembered much differently.

• Like 1

I think the fact that they made it through that tragedy and continued on and beyond just added to their legacy in a positive way. If they had stopped after TFE then I agree that they would be remembered much differently.

I agree, plus I personally think the 3 albums that came after were among their best. :)

Mick

That would be me 1000% and I have no shame in admitting it. There could be great music being made left and right today and I wouldn't have a clue. You are spot on with this post Mick (if there is indeed great music being made today :LOL: ).... :cheers:

lol

Uncle Narpski

Too be fair though, the more I catch up with your tastes the less inclined I feel to egg you on to widen out your interests!

Your high praise of FBN lead to me listening to it again and its practically top five now (take THAT Vapor Trails!).

• Like 2

I agree, plus I personally think the 3 albums that came after were among their best. :)

:moon: :D

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says, Vapor Trails RULES!!!! Clockwork Angels is the best thing they've ever released! Snakes and Arrows is flippin' cool!

:D

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says, Vapor Trails RULES!!!! Clockwork Angels is the best thing they've ever released! Snakes and Arrows is flippin' cool!

:moon: :moon: :moon:

• Like 1

Slim-youre obviously out of touch with what's popular. I am too, but my brother teaches guitar to young kids, so he knows what they listen to and what they want to learn. It's like every other generation. if someone in their household (older sibling or parents) listened to a lot of music, they eventually come around to a fondness for what they were raised on, but at some point they all get into whatever everyone else their age is listening to, like the latest boy band if it's a girl, or the latest rapper or hip hop or commercial rock. We had the Bay City Rollers, Shaun Cassidy, etc. and the girls now have One Direction.

Oh I appreciate that not all kids listen to Zeppelin, the Beatles, Floyd et al, though it's much more common for kids to get into the music of their parents than it was when I was 17.

But even One Direction, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith et al are not really dramatically different from the music of 40 or 50 years ago, in the way that (say) the Pistols were different from Dean Martin or Sinatra, artists that came before them only three decades previously.

yeah, me and a friend were actually joking about this recently. we were bitching about some new music, as we always do, and we started talking about what if there were people growing up in the 70s who loved frank sinatra and dean martin, and couldn't figure out why all their friends listened to led zeppelin and black sabbath. we mentioned how utterly lame that would be, and then it dawned on us that we, as fans of sabbath/zep/etc, appear just as lame to the majority of our peers.

the culture thing is interesting, because I'm not sure why it is. I don't believe that "modern music" as a whole is inherently worse than it's ever been, but it is strange that half the crowd at an iron maiden concert is people my age. I think it might have to do with the internet giving kids my age easier access to older music, plus aging rock n roll fans control my generation's media - I've seen rush referenced a million times on adult swim, family guy, etc. plus, we haven't had a rock band come along and "change everything" since nirvana before I was born, and if you wanna get into good music that's not rap, country, or late night dance club shit, you either search the underground for a great band that's unknown (which is difficult for even long-time music listeners because obscure bands are, well, obscure), or you take the easier route which is to see what all the fuss is about concerning zep, hendrix, sabbath, etc

"I've seen rush referenced a million times on adult swim, family guy, etc."

It's funny as I don't normally watch Archer but I will if I stumble across it. The other night I saw the first couple scenes of this. Hilarious. I've met Neil Peart devotees who are pretty much like this. They get interesting at parties; get some beer in them, bait them with some intentionally absurd (negative) statement about Neil's abilities, and see them way overreact, publicly sabotaging any chance they might of had of impressing the opposite sex that night (I'm not suggesting I've actually done that, but I've seen things play out like that for the most part):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJO3Zj-Sv0

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

Slim-youre obviously out of touch with what's popular. I am too, but my brother teaches guitar to young kids, so he knows what they listen to and what they want to learn. It's like every other generation. if someone in their household (older sibling or parents) listened to a lot of music, they eventually come around to a fondness for what they were raised on, but at some point they all get into whatever everyone else their age is listening to, like the latest boy band if it's a girl, or the latest rapper or hip hop or commercial rock. We had the Bay City Rollers, Shaun Cassidy, etc. and the girls now have One Direction.

Oh I appreciate that not all kids listen to Zeppelin, the Beatles, Floyd et al, though it's much more common for kids to get into the music of their parents than it was when I was 17.

But even One Direction, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith et al are not really dramatically different from the music of 40 or 50 years ago, in the way that (say) the Pistols were different from Dean Martin or Sinatra, artists that came before them only three decades previously.

yeah, me and a friend were actually joking about this recently. we were bitching about some new music, as we always do, and we started talking about what if there were people growing up in the 70s who loved frank sinatra and dean martin, and couldn't figure out why all their friends listened to led zeppelin and black sabbath. we mentioned how utterly lame that would be, and then it dawned on us that we, as fans of sabbath/zep/etc, appear just as lame to the majority of our peers.

the culture thing is interesting, because I'm not sure why it is. I don't believe that "modern music" as a whole is inherently worse than it's ever been, but it is strange that half the crowd at an iron maiden concert is people my age. I think it might have to do with the internet giving kids my age easier access to older music, plus aging rock n roll fans control my generation's media - I've seen rush referenced a million times on adult swim, family guy, etc. plus, we haven't had a rock band come along and "change everything" since nirvana before I was born, and if you wanna get into good music that's not rap, country, or late night dance club shit, you either search the underground for a great band that's unknown (which is difficult for even long-time music listeners because obscure bands are, well, obscure), or you take the easier route which is to see what all the fuss is about concerning zep, hendrix, sabbath, etc

"I've seen rush referenced a million times on adult swim, family guy, etc."

It's funny as I don't normally watch Archer but I will if I stumble across it. The other night I saw the first couple scenes of this. Hilarious. I've met Neil Peart devotees who are pretty much like this. They get interesting at parties; get some beer in them, bait them with some intentionally absurd (negative) statement about Neil's abilities, and see them way overreact, publicly sabotaging any chance they might of had of impressing the opposite sex that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJO3Zj-Sv0

That's hilarious that he complains about the pronunciation of YYZ and yet pronounces Neil Peart as Neil Pert.

• Like 4

Mick

lol

Uncle Narpski

lol. I really shouldn't be so hard as because of my condition i have a shit ton of time on my hands to look up music, lol.

Mick

It would have been an insipid and bloated end to a band which had tended towards razor-sharp concision. T4E always struck me as Neil writing grumpy-old-man-on-a-porch shit because he didn't have anything else that was inspiring him besides The Macallan and motorcycles. Much of the tunes were over-produced and lyrically didactic (well, more didactic than usual). Plus, they reek of an early-middle aged man starting to lose touch with the younger population - and thus homogenizing society.

I doubt they would have made the legions of young fans they did in the ensuing 20 years.

:moon: :moon: :moon:

VAAAAAAPOOOOOOORRRR TRRRRRAAAAAIIIILLLSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I've seen every tour since AFTK and loved them all. If they've got any rocket sauce left in the tank. bring it.

Dude there's more than fumes in dat tank. I'll bet we see two more studio albums from the boys!

THUS SAYETH THE YUKON BLADE GRINDER

you're insane

He is, but also right

• Like 1

I've seen every tour since AFTK and loved them all. If they've got any rocket sauce left in the tank. bring it.

Dude there's more than fumes in dat tank. I'll bet we see two more studio albums from the boys!

THUS SAYETH THE YUKON BLADE GRINDER

Leonard cohen stated once...everybody knows, that studio rush are the new beatles

• Like 1