Top 5 bands RUSH fans should check out

New_World_Man

A new(er) band that fans of early Rush might like, especially fans of their first three albums, is Them Crooked Vultures, featuring Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones, and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal (EoDM are now known for being the Paris band, unfortunately; Hommes wasn't playing as he generally doesn't tour with them). Only one album but it's great. Hard-edged but clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSnCKhRGu3w&index=2&list=PLgL-iwzsjGiykZ0fQA9iRkHGSa5DH8alt

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

So, I'm a big prog fan but in the past few years I got into some of the arena rock bands such as Boston, Journey,REO SW, Styx and Foreigner. I see a connection between these bands and other hard rock and even metal. Out of these I would recommend the first two Boston albums, the first five or six Journey albums(even the pre Steve Perry which I think are good although a bit more adventurous)and Styx in particular. The others are hit and miss. For Styx, I think "the Grand Illusion" might be their masterpiece. It's a great album. Styx and Kansas are near the top although for me personally I consider Kansas to be prog(for the most part)and Styx to be semi prog.
  • Like 1

Kansas (Just 70's......i stress that point, lol)

Genesis (Gabriel

Yes-70's

Saga

Marillion (Fish era)

Mick

For the comment about just seventies Kansas and YES if you mean it was their only high quality period I don't have a problem with that statement. However, people could just as easily say "only seventies RUSH." I think Kansas and YES both did other things after the seventies(as did Rush) and some of that stuff was really good. If you are coming at it from a strictly prog point of view I see where you are coming from. However, YES did some prog stuff in the 90's and later and Kansas had a return to prog with their "somewhere to elsewhere" release in 2000.

Many great bands around, but I find Coheed And Cambria the closest thing to Rush.

Geezer! Really? You are amazing! I'm not stalking you I swear!

I have been pumping Coheed And Cambria on here since I joined this Forum!!!

You are right on the money!!! I love them dearly. I have travelled to see them.

I met Claudio in LA. I asked him if he liked RUSH. He said.... "HELL YEAH!"

I love the guy.

I love his double neck white guitar on "Welcome Home." Especially live!!!!

I actually don't care for the new record but I will always love them.

Great call man!!!

Cheers!

hey Earl, what do you think of Chris Pennie ?

I know him on a pretty friendly basis . . . He's told me he has been working a lot on soundtracks, and at this point, he doesn't even own a drum kit anymore - which shocked me

there was some stuff I know he wasn't telling me - he's been sort of down lately, living with his Mom and dealing with some personal stuff

Edited by Lucas

Kansas (Just 70's......i stress that point, lol)

Genesis (Gabriel

Yes-70's

Saga

Marillion (Fish era)

Mick

Yeah but don't you think most Rush fans already have most of that stuff??

Segue didn't.......so ya never know.

Mick

This is true!

I just need to buy me some Saga and complete me Genesis.

Marillion left me cold. Fish is...well...he is what he is.

They will be revisited eventually. Not everything has to grab me first time around!

• Like 1

Yes for sure but I really don't know the rest. I think Budgie also in my humble opinion...

Have you ever heard Uriah Heep? I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet(of if they have I missed them).

• Like 1

Yes for sure but I really don't know the rest. I think Budgie also in my humble opinion...

NARPS !!!!!!!!!!!

Great to see ya back

Thanks my friend. I came back Monday. I made a little speech in my Come Back Narps thread and mentioned you in it of course. Your post about coming here because of me was one of the nicest things I have ever heard from anyone. Thanks again... :cheers: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Have you ever heard Uriah Heep? I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned yet(of if they have I missed them).

I know they exist and have heard some of their music at some time or another. They opened once was back in the day at a show I went to I think. I can't remember who it was for and when though...

Rush and U2 are 2 of my favorite bands, but I find they are so unique that I rarely like any of the "if you like X then you will probably like Y" bands. Coldplay for example are the #1 if you like U2 you will like these guys band, but honestly just thinking about Coldplay makes me want to whip myself with barbed wire. Awful stuff.

I like both iron Maiden and Tool, but somehow I would never have them as a "if you like Rush try these guys" type band.

My other favorite, Zeppelin however I can take a lot of "soundalike" type bands.

• Like 2

I know they exist and have heard some of their music at some time or another. They opened once was back in the day at a show I went to I think. I can't remember who it was for and when though...

That's good enough for me! :)

I was going just the prog route and also assuming they didn't know much prog.

but i look back at some lists........so now i'm going all out

Tom Waits

Captain Beefheart

Frank Zappa

Toto

Spock's Beard

Elvis Costello

Steely Dan

Talking Heads

The first 4 Gabriel Albums

Dire Straits

Strangeways

Symphony X

That's some.

Mick

Interesting thread. I don't think you can pigeon hole bands to Rush. But you can listen to some bands who had heavy Rush influence. The question becomes which phase of Rush influenced them the most?

Rush had several phases and they were also influenced a lot of what was going on around them. (They had an obvious heavy Police influence in the early 80's with Signals and Grace Under Pressure).

Bands that I think Rush fans would really enjoy are:

1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - The Incident - This phase of Porcupine Tree to me represents the heaviest influence Rush had on Steve Wilson and his mates in PT. Songs are well crafted, layden with great lyrics, hooks and riffs. The Incident was the opus of prog for this band. An album with a singular story and concept. But seriously check out In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet and the EP Nil Recurring. Some of the very best rock/prog music ever IMO. Brilliance.

2. Muse - Muse has a hige Rush influence going with soaring riffs and arrangements. I say Muse to me is a indelible cross between Rush and Queen. 2 monster bands with big sounds and Muse are truly IMO the best arena rock band in the world now (and have been for several years running). They are extraordinary live. Matthew Belemy is a genius and a true rock talent.

3. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime - Promised Land - The Ryche had a lot fo Rush elements in song structure and production (Peter Collins) you can hear the sonic similarities of Collins production to Rush's work with him. Especially in the drum department and the clean chorus guitar sounds throughout this phase of this prog/metal band. I love them.

4. Live - Yeah....surprising? No not to me. Live has a great formula going from their debut through the last good album they made titled V. Check some very Rush-esque tunes like Top on Throwing Copper and Meltdown on the amazing signature album The Distance To Hear. Chad Gracey IMO is one of the most underrated rock drummers of his time. He has a big Neil influence in his playing. It is obvious to my ears. Live is a great band that fizzled out but the debut through V is outstanding music front to back.

5. Yes - Both phases of Yes ring so many similarities to Rush. Of course early Yes oozes prog, complex arrangements, great chops and playing coupled with soaring vocals, great melodies and stories. Then when Trevor Rabin hopped aboard for 90215 you can hear how similar it was to Rush's current phase of Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. They were two 70's prog giants making great 80's influenced albums with their signature chops, riffs and melodies. I loved Rabin Yes (although it was really two albums before the merger in Union).

I can name a bunch more. But I think if your a hardcore Rush fan and enjoy all their musical phases....these bands will feel right at home for you. And the one thing they all share is the talent to compose great, catchy songs coupled with great playing. That is the art for me in true prog rock. Great playing, great melodies, memorable songs vs endless wankery and making songs long for the sake of making them long (and ultimately forgettable). Yet take a listen to Porcupine Tree's epic 21 minute opus Anesthetize (on the classic Fear Of A Blank Planet) for a perfect example of how to write a captivating, memorable long prog song laden with great riffs, hooks and melody. To me Steve Wilson is the modern day master of true album style prog rock. No one does it better for me. His last two solo efforts scream Rush influence all over the place (The Raven That Would Not Sing and Hand Cannot Erase both brilliant incredible sonic feasts).

Edited by Todem

Pyramid Theorem (my band!) We are all huge Rush fans and it kinda shows through our tunes. We just released a new music video earlier today. The boys make a cameo appearance (sort of)

:cool:

Pyramid Theorem (my band!) We are all huge Rush fans and it kinda shows through our tunes. We just released a new music video earlier today. The boys make a cameo appearance (sort of)

:cool:

I saw some videos on the channel.

A Town in Ruins, Forever in Chains, Another Days Slips and a drum solo were really good to hear. :)

Drive seems a funny video, but I got more interested into the sound.

A new(er) band that fans of early Rush might like, especially fans of their first three albums, is Them Crooked Vultures, featuring Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones, and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and Eagles of Death Metal (EoDM are now known for being the Paris band, unfortunately; Hommes wasn't playing as he generally doesn't tour with them). Only one album but it's great. Hard-edged but clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSnCKhRGu3w&index=2&list=PLgL-iwzsjGiykZ0fQA9iRkHGSa5DH8alt

IMO TCV is one of the best albums to be released in the past 20 years. Any band, any genre. It's just perfect rock.

But I'm not sure most Rush fans would enjoy it. It's more 'alternative' meets classic rock.

Edited by stoopid

[1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - The Incident - This phase of Porcupine Tree to me represents the heaviest influence Rush had on Steve Wilson and his mates in PT. Songs are well crafted, layden with great lyrics, hooks and riffs. The Incident was the opus of prog for this band. An album with a singular story and concept. But seriously check out In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet and the EP Nil Recurring. Some of the very best rock/prog music ever IMO. Brilliance.

I can say with absolute certainty that those later PT albums are their most over rated. They are still good but I was already a big fan for a few years by the time most people jumped on the PT bandwagon so I'm not speaking from the point of view as a fairweather fan. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their best albums(imo of course). In absentia is great too but it was all down hill after that. It seems the more popular they became the less interesting they became. Anyone who hasn't heard Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and even Signify needs to check out those albums asap. Seriously.

Edited by New_World_Man

[1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia - The Incident - This phase of Porcupine Tree to me represents the heaviest influence Rush had on Steve Wilson and his mates in PT. Songs are well crafted, layden with great lyrics, hooks and riffs. The Incident was the opus of prog for this band. An album with a singular story and concept. But seriously check out In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet and the EP Nil Recurring. Some of the very best rock/prog music ever IMO. Brilliance.

I can say with absolute certainty that those later PT albums are their most over rated. They are still good but I was already a big fan for a few years by the time most people jumped on the PT bandwagon so I'm not speaking from the point of view as a fairweather fan. Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are their best albums(imo of course). In absentia is great too but it was all down hill after that. It seems the more popular they became the less interesting they became. Anyone who hasn't heard Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and even Signify needs to check out those albums asap. Seriously.

I absolutely love those albums too. But I feel the Rush influence is far more prevalent in their later work. I adore Lightbulb Sun. Amazing album. Signify is also awesome. Stupid Dream has some incredible songs but is more spotty for me than all the rest we have discussed.

Overrated though? Hell freaking no. That run starting with In-Absentia is just more accessible and a progression to better song writing IMO. More melody, more direction, more concise. A band playing with absolute confidence in who they are. Also Gavin Harrison IMO add's a monster jolt of percussion excellence to the equation with his debut on In-Absentia.

But...it's all really really good.

• Like 1