SNL - Is it time to kill this show?

Xanadu

I haven't regularly watched it for 20 years now. The original cast and the cast members they had from about 88-95 can't be beat. When Tina Fey and Amy Poehler did the weekend update together, I would sometimes watch to see that because I really enjoyed them two. Other than that I have no clue what's been happening on over the last 15 years or so.

Like others have said, the show seems to have lost it relevance and cool factor a long time ago. I don't know what the ratings are for it now but I guess until it stops making sense financially, they will keep it going. I think they should end it though.

Edited by J2112YYZ

The mid 00's cast was very good, only they became even better after the show. Poehler, Fey, Sandburg, Parnell, Fallon, Forte were all very good and have had great work since. Of he current cast, the only one that stands out is the woman who does the Clinton sketches. Shes pretty good

The current cast has some talented people (Kate McKinnon, in particular), but they rarely ever get a funny skit to work with because the writers stink. I'm also surprised the show has lasted this long. I guess it'll be on until Lorne Michaels dies.

You mean it's still going? I had no idea. I pretty much quit watching it once the second batch of people came in.

That show is still on? :o

The fact that people are asking this question speaks volumes in and of itself.

• Like 1

OK, all you :codger: types. There's plenty of good stuff that's come out of the last ten years of SNL. Cecily Strong is great. And let's not forget that the early years had their clunkers as well.

OK, all you :codger: types. There's plenty of good stuff that's come out of the last ten years of SNL. Cecily Strong is great. And let's not forget that the early years had their clunkers as well.

name 1 really f***ing classic thing since what, since THE Bruce Dickinson had a fever that could only be cured by cowbell.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone was saying the show still doesn't have good stuff on it and talented people. I think the "must see" value of it has worn off and that's why most of us don't care anymore. The show hasn't had much buzz in recent years, it's just a show on TV and nothing more.

Yeah, even the best years had bad stuff on it. That's the risk they take with it being live though. They have no idea what will go over well and what won't until the show is on the air. Something may kill during rehearsals but then the audience just doesn't get it.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I think it entirely depends on your age. I was at an age when the early nineties was appealing to me. Every era had a crap to great ratio. Some were more biased in the crap direction to be sure.

When SNL first arrived in 1975, I was about 4, so I never got to know of it for when I was growing up in the 80s. The only bit I remember was a segment from Steve Martin, and from the look of him (white suit or something?) I'd guess the sketch was sometime in the 70s, with a joke that I can't even remember, and all I can recall was that I didn't laugh once. Either I had no sense of humor, or I really didn't understand his style.

name 1 really f***ing classic thing since what, since THE Bruce Dickinson had a fever that could only be cured by cowbell.

man, Stephon was great, and like it or not, Wiig playing the triangle was very popular.

http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA1LzE0LzMzL3N0ZWZhbm8xLjI1MjA0LmdpZgpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/f2a1fd8d/54e/stefano1.gif

8cc36ed42bb88acc36490b6b2937a5af.jpg

man, Stephon was great, and like it or not, Wiig playing the triangle was very popular.

http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA1LzE0LzMzL3N0ZWZhbm8xLjI1MjA0LmdpZgpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/f2a1fd8d/54e/stefano1.gif

Uhhhh. Ok.

• Like 1

Uhhhh. Ok.

I knew that was coming... crotchety old fart :LOL: