Clockwork Lives

Running Rebel

Whose read it so far? It was a great compliment to Clockwork Angels and delves so much deeper into the lives of people in the Steampunk universe. Tons of cool Rush themes and hidden gems.

I would encourage those with positive reviews to actually post them on Amazon and Goodreads and such to encourage sales and possibly more down the road.

I leafed through it at the bookstore but didn't want to fork out the cash for it. Didn't look that interesting. Maybe if the first book had made that world seem interesting, then maybe having a book of short stories would be something worth reading.
  • Like 1

the first book was so incredibly dreadful, if i could be assed i'd go leave negative reviews of it in the hopes of sparing others the experience

I'm assuming you meant asked? :LOL:

• Like 1

the first book was so incredibly dreadful, if i could be assed i'd go leave negative reviews of it in the hopes of sparing others the experience

no, i meant assed.

as in, if i could be bothered to take the time.

although now that i think about it, it wouldn't take any more time than posting stupid crap here, would it! so maybe i will!

no, i meant assed.

as in, if i could be bothered to take the time.

although now that i think about it, it wouldn't take any more time than posting stupid crap here, would it! so maybe i will!

Go for it!

Having read CA and about half of CL so far, my reaction is a bit ambivalent. On the one hand, I think CL is a way better premise, and I'm much more interested in where the story is heading this time around. On the other hand, the paraphrasing and quoting of lyrics has become so groan-worthy, I hear a rim shot in my head every time I read one, which is about twice per page on average. I want to reach through literary space-time and slap Kevin Anderson out of his chair as he's writing these quotes. A little restraint! Please! It would've been a nice nod and wink if there were a reference or two in the book, but he just can't help himself, I guess.

I get that the Rush references can be groaners to some, but I didn't mind them and actually enjoyed how he worked many of them in. I thought all the different concepts and the allegorical narrative was quite interesting. I mean if you like Rush songs, then they are quite similiar in theme so instead of a few lyrics, it's a short story which gives the author more room to expand on the topic.

And really many of the stories are relatable to self, society and hint at actual events from the real world. For example, I couldn't help wonder if "The Miner's story" came about from Neil's experience with the mining disaster he wrote about and donated to some money to. For many, being trapped below the surface would be the worst fate imaginable, and it's also a great setting to expound on from there.

So yeah, as a Rush fan and "lyric and message" fan, I enjoyed the book a lot. Sure, it's not Dostoyevsky but it isn't purporting to be neither. The same battles and concepts between collectivism and anarchy, freedom and self determination, war, friendship, and much more is represented.

Wheels within wheels so to speak. And like Rush, much is tongue in cheek with a tad of humor.

I get that the Rush references can be groaners to some, but I didn't mind them and actually enjoyed how he worked many of them in. I thought all the different concepts and the allegorical narrative was quite interesting. I mean if you like Rush songs, then they are quite similiar in theme so instead of a few lyrics, it's a short story which gives the author more room to expand on the topic.

And really many of the stories are relatable to self, society and hint at actual events from the real world. For example, I couldn't help wonder if "The Miner's story" came about from Neil's experience with the mining disaster he wrote about and donated to some money to. For many, being trapped below the surface would be the worst fate imaginable, and it's also a great setting to expound on from there.

So yeah, as a Rush fan and "lyric and message" fan, I enjoyed the book a lot. Sure, it's not Dostoyevsky but it isn't purporting to be neither. The same battles and concepts between collectivism and anarchy, freedom and self determination, war, friendship, and much more is represented.

Wheels within wheels so to speak. And like Rush, much is tongue in cheek with a tad of humor.

That might be more true if it were written by Neil, but since KJA wrote the story itself, you can't even blame it on that. He's known to be a pretty poor writer in the general sci-fi world, so when I heard he had anything to do with the book, I didn't expect much and didn't get much either.

That might be more true if it were written by Neil, but since KJA wrote the story itself, you can't even blame it on that. He's known to be a pretty poor writer in the general sci-fi world, so when I heard he had anything to do with the book, I didn't expect much and didn't get much either.

Pure hackery.

As I've mentioned before his crowbarred-in Rush references were jarring to me, and actually detracted from what little enjoyment I received from reading CA.

Anderson should be on his knees every day thanking his preferred deity that Neil has partnered with him. Given how erudite Neil is I continue to be puzzled at what he sees in KJA.

• Like 2

Meh, It's just like the songs. When I was young I would try to convince everyone how fantastic Rush was and would hear tons of criticism. You come to realize it's a matter of preference and as we know from this forum there are plenty of people that don't like the band or the lyrics, or certain members, albums etc..

As I said, it's like saying chocolate is better than vanilla, it's simply a personal preference. It's a non-obligatory preference. No one says you "have" to like it.

But sometimes bias is pretty obvious when a criticism comes from someone that didn't even read it and admittedly just listened to a song on the album.

It's also no wonder that the Facebook groups seem to be immensely more popular than these forums which more and more simply seem to be filled with the negative type fans. I think you find a lot better conversation regarding Rush there anymore.

Meh, It's just like the songs. When I was young I would try to convince everyone how fantastic Rush was and would hear tons of criticism. You come to realize it's a matter of preference and as we know from this forum there are plenty of people that don't like the band or the lyrics, or certain members, albums etc..

As I said, it's like saying chocolate is better than vanilla, it's simply a personal preference. It's a non-obligatory preference. No one says you "have" to like it.

But sometimes bias is pretty obvious when a criticism comes from someone that didn't even read it and admittedly just listened to a song on the album.

It's also no wonder that the Facebook groups seem to be immensely more popular than these forums which more and more simply seem to be filled with the negative type fans. I think you find a lot better conversation regarding Rush there anymore.

Yes if you just want "ooo this is great" or "I love it" comments. I'm not seeing much conversation on things in the Rush groups I'm in on Facebook. It's a lot like here. What is your favorite song/album/guitar solo/etc. threads abound.

Some of the liking of the books is preference, sure, but there is such a thing as good plot development/structure, proper use of syntax, interesting, well developed characters which Clockwork Angels the novel doesn't really have. It's written very simply in a teen fiction style, which is fine if that is the audience. It was never presented that way.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Yes if you just want "ooo this is great" or "I love it" comments. I'm not seeing much conversation on things in the Rush groups I'm in on Facebook. It's a lot like here. What is your favorite song/album/guitar solo/etc. threads abound.

Some of the liking of the books is preference, sure, but there is such a thing as good plot development/structure, proper use of syntax, interesting, well developed characters which Clockwork Angels the novel doesn't really have. It's written very simply in a teen fiction style, which is fine if that is the audience. It was never presented that way.

Spot on. If I were 15 I probably would have loved the book. At 46 I expect more from what I read.

• Like 1

So your premise is that people actually discuss things on Facebook and that there are less "negative type fans?" Perhaps I've learned something today.