Geddy: Which song, or songs, if any, sound most effeminate to your ears?

Segue Myles

For me, Geddy rarely sounds like a woman. Occasionally high pitched, but rarely feminine.

But recently I played a friend HYF, and he mistook Open Secrets for Stevie Nicks! And he thought, whilst I played MP, that Rush was another of my "chick metal" bands haha!

Anyway, one song for me sounds very feminine: The Big Wheel. From the moment I first heard it, I thought it was Cher. And also How It Is.

• Like 1

His voice is high for sure, but to say he sounds like a woman at times is quite a stretch.

Agreed, but we hear comments like that all the time!

But although I don't think he sounds like a woman, his voice can lean towards being very feminine, especially from, say, Presto onwards. The Big Wheel has moments where I swear it is a woman taking the lead.

I don't mind this thread being trolled away. Just wondered, as I am ALWAYS hearing that Rush sounds like a female fronted rock band by friends, if anyone here ever thought that way, or hear moments in songs that could perhaps be mistaken.

The chorus of Time Stand Still is another.

Did/do people think Steve Perry sounds like a woman?

I have on a couple of occasions...He does hit notes that most bats can't even hear.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

For me, Geddy rarely sounds like a woman. Occasionally high pitched, but rarely feminine.

But recently I played a friend HYF, and he mistook Open Secrets for Stevie Nicks! And he thought, whilst I played MP, that Rush was another of my "chick metal" bands haha!

Anyway, one song for me sounds very feminine: The Big Wheel. From the moment I first heard it, I thought it was Cher. And also How It Is.

Maybe it's because I started listening to Rush from a really young age, and I may have seen pictures of the band also, from around that same time (circa 1980)...but I've never thought of Geddy sounding effeminate at all, really. He has just always had a unique quality about his voice, obviously. But I've never called it effeminate.

• Like 3

Maybe it's because I started listening to Rush from a really young age, and I may have seen pictures of the band also, from around that same time (circa 1980)...but I've never thought of Geddy sounding effeminate at all, really. He has just always had a unique quality about his voice, obviously. But I've never called it effeminate.

Agreed...but do you not hear a slight effeminate nature to certain RTB songs? I can never make my mind up if I do or don't, aside from TBW, but so many of my friends do.

The second I first heard Geddy sing I was enthralled, it was so different to what I had expected from Rush. But I know of no one in my circle of friends who agrees.

He has a way of enunciating certain passages that I guess could be considered 'effeminate'-sounding...but I don't want that to sound like a criticism, as it's not.
  • Like 1

He has a way of enunciating certain passages that I guess could be considered 'effeminate'-sounding...but I don't want that to sound like a criticism, as it's not.

It isn't. I love the big wheel after all!

• Like 2

The only thing that I can imagine might sound effeminate about his voice would be his range when he was younger. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

The only thing that I can imagine might sound effeminate about his voice would be his range.

Yeah but he does really well on "soft" songs, like those on HYF. I think the way in which he handles those songs is rare for most men in rock and metal. He is so at ease with himself he can comfortably tackle sensitive emotions, which is why when people say HYF is a wimpy album, I aggressively disagree.

• Like 1

Funny Segue mentioned Stevie Nicks. the whole of HYF could have been a Stevie solo album.........but a high end one, lol it sounds it, lol

Mick

I completely agree. She would have really suited this album, and she has a voice I have heard many describe as masculine.

This is why I hate stereotyping gender roles. It just isn't accurate!

But all the same...it still intrigues me to hear if other fans hear it. I don't use the term "effeminate" as a negative.

Spoken by Segue, the TRF alpha male.

*pops Taylor Swift album on the stereo*

Edited by Segue Myles

Funny Segue mentioned Stevie Nicks. the whole of HYF could have been a Stevie solo album.........but a high end one, lol it sounds it, lol

Mick

I completely agree. She would have really suited this album, and she has a voice I have heard many describe as masculine.

But all the same...it still intrigues me to hear if other fans hear it. I don't use the term "effeminate" as a negative.

i could just hear her tearing into Prime Mover.

Oh this was a missed oppertunity. lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i could just hear her tearing into Prime Mover.

Oh this was a missed oppertunity. lol

Mick

Open Secrets as well!

• Like 2

I don't mind this thread being trolled away. Just wondered, as I am ALWAYS hearing that Rush sounds like a female fronted rock band by friends, if anyone here ever thought that way, or hear moments in songs that could perhaps be mistaken.

I don't know if you know this, but a woman is actually singing on Time Stand Still.

• Like 1

I don't know if you know this, but a woman is actually singing on Time Stand Still.

I was just joking!

• Like 1

I was just joking!

Thought so, just checking. :P

• Like 1

I was just joking!

lol

This was worth the price of admission

• Like 2