And another happy birthday...to Hold Your Fire

Blue J

Hemispheres is great. It next to HYF, it is mediocre.

Sorry/not sorry

I remember buying this when it came out. I had the day off, so I got to the store when it opened, brought it home and ate breakfast while I listened to it... and I didn't like it - LOL! It took a few months but now it's in my top 5 favorite Rush albums...
  • Like 2

Twenty-eight years ago today came this art rock gem. I still say it's an underrated album, even though I've been pleased to see it praised by quite a few people at TRF...

It still sees its fair share of disrespect, albeit in good fun (cue goose and his collection of Casios), but I couldn't do without this album. Musically and lyrically, a very high point of their career.

Great album!

I remember the day it came out.

A guy who played guitar in our band worked at a record store and gave it to me along with a huge poster of the album cover.

I just loved it and was in love with Aimee Mann at the time, so that was a welcome bonus.

(Her voice is so delicate and beautiful and strong all at the same time).

I love the multiple meanings of the title.

"Hold Your Fire", being light in a dark place for others to see and find hope.

"Hold Your Fire", cease shooting at others with weapons, words or anything that can bring harm to another.

I'm sure there are other meanings as well, but that's what it's meant to me.

"Maintain your passion". Mission comes to mind along that line, as does Time Stand Still.

HYF is full of exhuberance, lyrically and musically. A real treat when I'm in the mood for it.

• Like 1

I'm reminded why I don't care for the album now that I am listening to it again. I find the songs too flimsy and superficial for my taste in music.

Musically superficial, do you mean? It's light in that respect, for sure. But lyrically I think there are some great moments of gravitas.

I'm reminded why I don't care for the album now that I am listening to it again. I find the songs too flimsy and superficial for my taste in music.

I feel the same way for the most part. A bit too light and airy for me as a whole...although I do love a few of the songs.

At least you revisit it. Whenever I hear of a fan of a band proclaiming "I hate such and such" only to reveal they played it once thirty years ago, I have to roll my eyes. I still don't like Snakes And Arrows, but I revisit it from time to time.

I make sure to revisit lesser liked albums to refresh my opinions a bit. It's been ages, but I gave HYF a few listens, and also COS. Much to my surprise I'm getting into A Fountain of Lamneth. :D

I feel the same way for the most part. A bit too light and airy for me as a whole...although I do love a few of the songs.

Wait until she locked herself all day to listen the album over and over and she will see all of his beauty...

The mid-album highlights receive too much praise from this forum, TSS doesn't get enough praise around here, the whole album is a little worse than its opening track, which us killer, so it's still pretty good. Happy birthday to the warmest Rush album since MP.

I dig it. :yes:

Especially High Water.

One of my preferred tracks off the album.

Did I ever say that you are both my favorite people on TRF??

A thing I love about it is you play it back to back with Show Dont Tell it sounds like the two songs are meant to be sequenced together. It doesnt feel like such an abrupt change to me. Thats a big reason I love it there is just an atmosphere to the song and it has some great guitar playing from Alex.

• Like 1

Especially High Water.

A thing I love about it is you play it back to back with Show Dont Tell it sounds like the two songs are meant to be sequenced together. It doesnt feel like such an abrupt change to me. Thats a big reason I love it there is just an atmosphere to the song and it has some great guitar playing from Alex.

As a confirmed huge fan of Presto, I'll have to check that out later. :cheers:

• Like 2

I love this album for two reasons...

It was the first album that came out after I had my license so it brings me back to that time of freedom, exploration, and watching the leaves change...

Also, despite the sound, these songs contain some of Geddy Lee's most impressive bass lines.

• Like 2

Especially High Water.

It's a great song, for all the reasons you mentioned, plus the wonderful sentiment behind it.

Take me home...

• Like 1