An unpopular opinion about prog rock.

fraroc

You know, this is exactly what I was talking about...time signatures, unless you're a musician yourself, are not important.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Why would you really care what other people think anyway? Leave the music-making to the musicians. What an inane topic of conversation.

I see you've reached your boiling point with fraroc :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

True, but often the moments that sound really cool turn out to be the moments when there was a time signature change. If you don't know what they are, you wouldn't think twice about it, but if you do, you recognize the briliiantly-placed time change. :)

You know, this is exactly what I was talking about...time signatures, unless you're a musician yourself, are not important.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Why would you really care what other people think anyway? Leave the music-making to the musicians. What an inane topic of conversation.

Well, when someone attacks one of the most interesting things about Rush, on a Rush fan forum no less, then yes, I don't have much patience for ignorance.

• Like 2

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Well, when someone attacks one of the most interesting things about Rush, on a Rush fan forum no less, then yes, I don't have much patience for ignorance.

I think he just means that music doesn't have to have odd time signatures to be good. but I didn't read the entire thread so who knows

• Like 1

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

I think he just means that music doesn't have to have odd time signatures to be good. but I didn't read the entire thread so who knows

Yeah I know what was meant.

• Like 1

This thread could've had a better basis than just your opinion and "that's it." Using your logic from one of your replies, this thread shouldn't even exist. Damn it man, you have your OWN thread just for yourself but nope, you just litter everywhere else. Edited by Polaris
  • Like 4

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. A song doesn't have to be 345254852/4 or whatever to be a good song.

This thread could've had a better basis than just your opinion and "that's it." Using your logic from one of your replies, this thread shouldn't even exist. Damn it man, you have your OWN thread just for yourself but nope, you just litter everywhere else.

Polaris, be honest with me. Do you think I could be serious in a joke thread?

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. A song doesn't have to be 345254852/4 or whatever to be a good song.

Nobody is saying it does. A crappy song is a crappy song regardless of what time signature it's in.

Nobody is saying it does. A crappy song is a crappy song regardless of what time signature it's in.

+1. However, for me, it boils down to disliking predictability. I guess I just don't care for the over-used. ultra cliched, hackneyed rhythms, chord progressions, and song arrangements that are all too prevalent in modern corporate rock (if there is still such a thing - I think there are radio stations still playing this type of crap in my area... lol) There can be great songs in 4/4, but one has to be more creative, more original with it and go outside the box to gain my interest. There will always be people that enjoy the ultra-predicable, just as there will be lines at McDonalds and at the summer blockbusters... that's fine for them. For those that want to dig deeper, I hope there is something more.

The last two bands that I have recorded with were a sort of "progressive" pocket music - some songs were straight up 4 or 6 - but other had sections of 5, 9, 15, and even 21. My job was to construct grooves that grooved, regardless of the time signature. The feedback we got was that it worked. It is possible, and there is an audience beyond other musicians!

• Like 1

+1. However, for me, it boils down to disliking predictability. I guess I just don't care for the over-used. ultra cliched, hackneyed rhythms, chord progressions, and song arrangements that are all too prevalent in modern corporate rock (if there is still such a thing - I think there are radio stations still playing this type of crap in my area... lol) There can be great songs in 4/4, but one has to be more creative, more original with it and go outside the box to gain my interest. There will always be people that enjoy the ultra-predicable, just as there will be lines at McDonalds and at the summer blockbusters... that's fine for them. For those that want to dig deeper, I hope there is something more.

The last two bands that I have recorded with were a sort of "progressive" pocket music - some songs were straight up 4 or 6 - but other had sections of 5, 9, 15, and even 21. My job was to construct grooves that grooved, regardless of the time signature. The feedback we got was that it worked. It is possible, and there is an audience beyond other musicians!

I agree with you. Different time signatures can keep the music from getting boring. Music like anything else shouldn't fit in a narrow minded box.

This thread could've had a better basis than just your opinion and "that's it." Using your logic from one of your replies, this thread shouldn't even exist. Damn it man, you have your OWN thread just for yourself but nope, you just litter everywhere else.

Nobody set that in stone. I'm pretty sure the forum has had enough of your dead-end threads clogging up the forums so that thread is the be-all end-all for your rants. Just put the link in your sig and update it with a line of text about a new post if you want people to see it. I certainly know you want everyone to know what you're thinking.

Edited by Polaris

I think all of this is fun discussion, and to use broad strokes to cover wide swaths of music is unfair

In fact, "broad strokes" was one of my recent "A to Z Dislikes"

Anyways, one of the greatest, most respected pieces in rock music - esp with the guitar/prog listeners - is Steve Howe's acoustic masterpiece "Clap" . . . it is in 4/4 and is about as impressive a piece of work as you'll find . .

Steve Howe is a musical genius - albeit a cranky one nowadays :)

• Like 1

I think all of this is fun discussion, and to use broad strokes to cover wide swaths of music is unfair

Anyways, one of the greatest, most respected pieces in rock music - esp with the guitar/prog listeners - is Steve Howe's acoustic masterpiece "Clap" . . . it is in 4/4 and is about as impressive a piece of work as you'll find . .

I love Steve Howe...I only got to be a big fan of Yes a little more than a year ago, but Howe quickly became one of my favourite guitarists...he's a genius.

• Like 1

I love Steve Howe...I only got to be a big fan of Yes a little more than a year ago, but Howe quickly became one of my favourite guitarists...he's a genius.

I completely agree - his parts and additions to those classic YES songs are amazing

• Like 1

Was just going to mention this.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Everyone already knows this. No one here has ever suggested otherwise.

It's been cool to see what others have been saying about time sigs in this thread, so at least it's been serving that purpose. As for you though, you haven't really done anything other than spout truisms and present your ignorance surrounding time signatures.

Nobody set that in stone. I'm pretty sure the forum has had enough of your dead-end threads clogging up the forums so that thread is the be-all end-all for your rants. Just put the link in your sig and update it with a line of text about a new post if you want people to see it. I certainly know you want everyone to know what you're thinking.

Nope, it's definitely a joke thread, and it's about as set in stone as anything can be set in stone around here. The thread's title itself guarantees it as a joke thread, it's direct a reference to TOST which is somewhat infamous around here for being a mindless madhouse.

JUST LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Everyone already knows this. No one here has ever suggested otherwise.

It's been cool to see what others have been saying about time sigs in this thread, so at least it's been serving that purpose. As for you though, you haven't really done anything other than spout truisms and present your ignorance surrounding time signatures.

I don't know about time signature, I mean I know what they are, I just never took the time out to figure them out and I don't feel as if I need to. I just like music.

Edited by fraroc

I just think that people who would go out of their way to say that if a song doesn't have a weird time signature that it automatically sucks are being really shallow and close minded.

I've literally never seen that here

I do think people here place a bit too much emphasis on technicality and sounding squeaky clean. I haven't seen anyone say that you have to be technical to be good, but I've seen people who criticize KISS for being simplistic and it's clear that they're so obsessed with 12 minute songs about elves that they miss the point of rock n roll entirely.

Don't forget 14 minute keyboard solos.

• Like 2

I completely agree - his parts and additions to those classic YES songs are amazing

He is one of the most versatile rock guitarists I've ever heard. He has so many different styles up his sleeve.

He is one of the most versatile rock guitarists I've ever heard. He has so many different styles up his sleeve.

I've always found Howe to be something a little opposite - distinct and recognizable.

• Like 1