Rush Replacement Checklist

antiquark

Not that Rush is over..... but there's plenty of music out there.

Including DT... my local boys who I've seen 10 times.

I can't stand DT but hypocritically I've seen them ten times.

I saw them do "BY-TOR" at The Warfield in SF. IT WAS PURE SHIT.

Steven Wilson's solo project fits that description

Judas Priest just did a fun 100+ date world tour and a very solid album

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers continue to write solid songs and tour constantly

Devin Townsend's been releasing pop metal so they're catchy as hell now

What in God's name did I just watch???

Weird video for sure (as usual), but what did you think of the song? That's one of my faves from their last album.

Try these. Some good odd-time stuff here:

Pretty good. What is a good Mastodon album to start with?

My "technique" for determining if I like a band is to listen to one album like 50 times. After that, either I like the band, or the gag reflex kicks in!

If you want their more proggy side, start with Crack The Skye. The second song I posted is from that album. After that I'd try Blood Mountain. That album includes the following instrumental:

TM recommended Leviathan up there. If you're not too into really sludgy (yet proggy) metal I might not start there.

True. I thought starting from the beginning would help him appreciate the tremendous growth the band has gone through...only reason for that.

Good point, but I always think, if I want to turn a Rush fan onto Mastodon, I'm going to start with the real proggy stuff, and to me that's Crack The Skye and then Blood Mountain.

I just picked up Once More 'Round the Sun and I like it so far.

There is no Rush replacement band. And there doesn't need to be.

There is so much other great music around, too.

But hey, I'll play along anyway. How about The Replacements?

Cream Pickle Theater is just a text book cover band that plays originals.

They are the most overrated band in the galaxy and hell I loved them when they first hit the scene!!!!

Sucks for you my friend. you missed a LOT of great music.

Mick

• Like 1

I don't see what will change, you still have all the albums, so you can still listen to them. And then you have all the hundreds of bands you're already into. No need to look for anything... :hail:

^ This times infinity!

Edited by Blue J

There is no Rush replacement band. And there doesn't need to be.

There is so much other great music around, too.

But hey, I'll play along anyway. How about The Replacements?

not technical enough! and no songs about talking trees

• Like 1

They are the most overrated band in the galaxy and hell I loved them when they first hit the scene!!!!

Mick

one good song per album isn't a great track record, even when that song is 10-30 minutes long.

Edited by bathory

Mick

one good song per album isn't a great track record, even when that song is 10-30 minutes long.

i see. ah well i thought the last 2 were their best in ages.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Similar.

Years ago in a full TRF chat room I asked the group to come up with a non-Rush group that EVERYONE knew and thought was okay or better. Metallica wasn't it because some disliked them. Same went for Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and Dream Theater. Tool, Mastodon, and King's X were disqualified because some didn't know of their music. There were several other bands mentioned and it kept happening that either they weren't liked or known by at least one person. In the end, the ONLY band we TRFers could find was Living Colour. Don't know how relevant they are today but they are still around and they certainly are talented musicians with good lyrics from time to time.

• Like 1

Relevant documentary. Ged, Alex and Neil speak!

Metal Evolution - Progressive Metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1NsChFbfY

What on earth would compel the video maker to blur out starman's ass (around 16:20)?

As for the topic, I just can't think of another band that has the right combination of distinctive elements. There's certainly a gap there to be filled by the right new band. Maybe it will be made up of some of the talented musicians on this forum.

Mick

i see. ah well i thought the last 2 were their best in ages.

Mick

yeah, I'm in the minority. DT fans seem to love the mangini ones. I think breaking all illusions and the really long song on the self-titled are killer, but most of the stuff doesn't do it for me.

• Like 1

Thank for all the the suggestions, I've been listening to those bands on youtube. (Kudos to the pirates who post full albums!)

Upon listening to all that stuff, it occurred to me that there should be an item #6 in the original list:

6. Diversity of musical styles.

Maybe that's another thing that makes Rush "one of a kind." Their style goes all over the place. On CA you have BU2B, and you also have Wish Them Well, and The Garden. It's like GrindCore meets ShitPop!

Anyways I'm going to listen to the latest Maiden stuff, the latest Mastodon stuff, some other stuff, including DT and Living Colour, and see if anything clicks!

Thanks!

Thank for all the the suggestions, I've been listening to those bands on youtube. (Kudos to the pirates who post full albums!)

Upon listening to all that stuff, it occurred to me that there should be an item #6 in the original list:

6. Diversity of musical styles.

Maybe that's another thing that makes Rush "one of a kind." Their style goes all over the place. On CA you have BU2B, and you also have Wish Them Well, and The Garden. It's like GrindCore meets ShitPop!

Anyways I'm going to listen to the latest Maiden stuff, the latest Mastodon stuff, some other stuff, including DT and Living Colour, and see if anything clicks!

Thanks!

Cool. Oh, I've only heard the first three Living Colour albums. I love the first one. LOVE! And the second one is good but not great. And I didn't like the third too much but it does have a few good songs.