Do I qualify as a Rush fan?

AnEggplant

What a boring forum this would be if everyone loved every Rush song exactly the same! Different opinions make it interesting. Now for facts: Permanent Waves was the best Rush album. The "synth" era was great, as long as you weren't expecting a continuous loop of Moving Pictures (also great.) Test for Echo was a good musical album in which Geddy and Alex wrote the lyrics while Neil tried a new fangled way to hold his sticks. Vapor Trails through CWA have great songs, but waaaaay subpar production. And Dog Years was an elaborate prank pulled by Steven Tyler over some old feud between Rush and Aerosmith. Everything else is just different people's opinions!

I think the Aerosmith feud,

Was because back in the day Aerosmith would not allow Rush a sound check on some tour.

What a boring forum this would be if everyone loved every Rush song exactly the same! Different opinions make it interesting. Now for facts: Permanent Waves was the best Rush album. The "synth" era was great, as long as you weren't expecting a continuous loop of Moving Pictures (also great.) Test for Echo was a good musical album in which Geddy and Alex wrote the lyrics while Neil tried a new fangled way to hold his sticks. Vapor Trails through CWA have great songs, but waaaaay subpar production. And Dog Years was an elaborate prank pulled by Steven Tyler over some old feud between Rush and Aerosmith. Everything else is just different people's opinions!

I think the Aerosmith feud,

Was because back in the day Aerosmith would not allow Rush a sound check on some tour.

I think you're right. Probably because they were jealous of actual musical talent.

Meh, I disagree on several aspects there, but to each their own. :)

I think being a fan means enjoying and appreciating the bulk of their work. I don't consider people who only like the hits to be true fans. Same goes for people who feel the band died after 1982. True fans are appreciative of the majority of a band's body of work, at least in my view. And this doesn't just go for Rush, but for any other band and anything else, for that matter. I'd say you qualify. :)

I probably sounded like a bit of an arrogant prick for a second there, so I apologize for that. Prepare for the onslaught of people who find it unacceptable to speak one's mind around here…

Don't be confused by the title, I love Rush. I would go as far as to call them my favorite band. However, after browsing around these forums for a while, I found out that I have opinions about the band that almost nobody else seems to share. Namely:

1) Despite the fact that it seems like a national past time on here to poop on it, Clockwork Angels is my favorite album. I love every single song on it. The production doesn't bother me, in fact I like it, and every song is amazing to me.

2) I love Test for Echo, and yet everybody on here seems to think it's TERRIBLE, their worst even. I can't understand how they can find Test for Echo worse than Roll the Bones or Hold Your Fire (That's another thing, I think HYF is a giant snore fest of lame). I really like every song on here. I love the title song, Totem Pole, heck I even love Dog Years. Sure Virtuality's lyrics are a bit dated and Limbo isn't as good as their other instrumentals, but I still like them both.

3) I find Signals to be very overrated. I love the first two songs and New World Man, but to me the rest are filler at best. Also, I HATE "The Weapon", even though so many people on here seem to think it's amazing. I just find it boring, repetitive, and really weird.

4) I love every song on Counterparts EXCEPT "Speed of Love". Even though more people seem to agree with me on this than on my other weird opinions there's still a shocking amount that would even go so far as to call this the best song on the album. I have no clue how you could think that. It's so cheesy and corny and mushy.

Anyway, this isn't meant to offend anyone. We all are entitled to our own opinions. I just wanted to know if mine were so strange that I shouldn't even be considered a "Rush fan". Anyhow, sorry for the dumb post.

If you had to worry/care about how to classify yourself as a Rush fan or not, then you it creates a paradox about what the band has stood for for all these years (Very wordy statement, but I can't think of a better way to put it.) You enjoy a culture that has affected so many people in many different ways. If the guys had given in to "popular opinion" early on, you wouldn't have the opportunity to enjoy the late classics.

I personally enjoy T4E and CA sooo much!!! And it's just your opinion... Because you know what they say about opinions, they're like assh... Alright I won't go there :)

But in all seriousness, you're more than just a part of the rush fanbase, you're apart of a larger "family..."

I like anyone brave enough to admit that Signals is overrated.

I'll probably be shanked, but at least I'll be shanked with dignity!

All good. Some lunatic here once proclaimed that Tom Sawyer "wasn't all that" and he survived...though he does walk with a limp and has a stutter now.

Well, for my own survival it's probably terrible for me to say this but I kind of agree. I like the song but I definitely don't understand why it's one of the precious few played on the radio, at least in my area. I like Red Barchetta and YYZ much more.

Tom Sawyer has never been a favourite of mine, neither has Spirit Of Radio. But what most surprises me is the love for Subdivisions. I just don't get it!

But then again, Chain Lightning and Tai Shan are two of my favourite songs so maybe I should just shut my beautifully formed mouth and be done with all the peasantry.

I like anyone brave enough to admit that Signals is overrated.

I'll probably be shanked, but at least I'll be shanked with dignity!

All good. Some lunatic here once proclaimed that Tom Sawyer "wasn't all that" and he survived...though he does walk with a limp and has a stutter now.

Well, for my own survival it's probably terrible for me to say this but I kind of agree. I like the song but I definitely don't understand why it's one of the precious few played on the radio, at least in my area. I like Red Barchetta and YYZ much more.

Tom Sawyer has never been a favourite of mine, neither has Spirit Of Radio. But what most surprises me is the love for Subdivisions. I just don't get it!

But then again, Chain Lightning and Tai Shan are two of my favourite songs so maybe I should just shut my beautifully formed mouth and be done with all the peasantry.

Well let me say this.... Seeing a song live can change how you perceive it completely and utterly. For better or worse. Subdivisions kicks major butt live.

• Like 2

Don't be confused by the title, I love Rush. I would go as far as to call them my favorite band. However, after browsing around these forums for a while, I found out that I have opinions about the band that almost nobody else seems to share. Namely:

1) Despite the fact that it seems like a national past time on here to poop on it, Clockwork Angels is my favorite album. I love every single song on it. The production doesn't bother me, in fact I like it, and every song is amazing to me.

2) I love Test for Echo, and yet everybody on here seems to think it's TERRIBLE, their worst even. I can't understand how they can find Test for Echo worse than Roll the Bones or Hold Your Fire (That's another thing, I think HYF is a giant snore fest of lame). I really like every song on here. I love the title song, Totem Pole, heck I even love Dog Years. Sure Virtuality's lyrics are a bit dated and Limbo isn't as good as their other instrumentals, but I still like them both.

3) I find Signals to be very overrated. I love the first two songs and New World Man, but to me the rest are filler at best. Also, I HATE "The Weapon", even though so many people on here seem to think it's amazing. I just find it boring, repetitive, and really weird.

4) I love every song on Counterparts EXCEPT "Speed of Love". Even though more people seem to agree with me on this than on my other weird opinions there's still a shocking amount that would even go so far as to call this the best song on the album. I have no clue how you could think that. It's so cheesy and corny and mushy.

Anyway, this isn't meant to offend anyone. We all are entitled to our own opinions. I just wanted to know if mine were so strange that I shouldn't even be considered a "Rush fan". Anyhow, sorry for the dumb post.

Your opinions aren't much different than mine, so don't be afraid to piss into the wind.

If you like their music and think of yourself as a fan, then, blammo - you're a fan. I don't care if someone says they're a fan but never heard Hemispheres. PeW or MP, if they think they are a fan, they are, simple as that.

Rush fan confession, been a fan since '76/'77, never owned a copy of MP on vinyl - whaaa?

• Like 2

I think a person would qualify as a RUSH fan if, while bagging your own groceries at the supermarket, you start singing

Spinning, whirling

Still descending

Like a spiral sea

Unending !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

If you like their music and think of yourself as a fan, then, blammo - you're a fan. I don't care if someone says they're a fan but never heard Hemispheres. PeW or MP, if they think they are a fan, they are, simple as that.

Rush fan confession, been a fan since '76/'77, never owned a copy of MP on vinyl - whaaa?

And then there are those albums that we've bought in every format - 8 track, cassette, LP and CD

Sadly, I have never owned a RUSH 8 track .. everything has been LP with them, then eventually, CDs

And then there are those albums that we've bought in every format - 8 track, cassette, LP and CD

Sadly, I have never owned a RUSH 8 track .. everything has been LP with them, then eventually, CDs

I never owned a Rush 8 track either but first heard them on 8 track (COS). I do however have Through The Camera Eye on Betamax format... :codger:
  • Like 1

I never owned a Rush 8 track either but first heard them on 8 track (COS). I do however have Through The Camera Eye on Betamax format... :codger:

Betamax - CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!

I had Thru The Camera Eye on VHS ( ... yes, I did buy it :)

We were a VHS family back then - mainly because, at the time, those machine were so expensive, and we ended up renting a VHS machine for a week, along with the movie Alien and YesSongs .... I had every kid from school over to watch Alien that week

And we ended up buying YesSongs .... my Dad and I found a mutual guitar hero in Steve Howe as we watched that tape constantly

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

You love them and they're your favorite so yeah. Who cares if you don't agree with everyone else?
  • Like 1

You love them and they're your favorite so yeah. Who cares if you don't agree with everyone else?

agree

RUSH fans can be, and are, as diverse as the band's music .... But like the band's music, there is also a common link though out all the fans

It is impossible to pinpoint or describe, and that is part of the unique magic ...

RUSH's aura includes and encompasses the fans too

• Like 1