Automatic transmission or Manual?

physics23

So which do you prefer, automatic or manual transmission?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. So which do you prefer, automatic or manual transmission?

• Automatic
    • Manual
    • Other?

I can't understand people who actually enjoy driving with both feet and with their right hand on the stick. There are much better places for the right hand, in my opinion. wink.gif But really, why go through all the hassle of changing gears yourself when there are sophisticated machines that do the job well enough on their own? Ok, it's more efficient when the human brain's the one making the decisions. I still think efficiency is a small price to pay for convenience.

Agree? Disagree?

I have always loved standard shift. Automatics are just boring. schla03.gif Bigger car, SUV, they're just slow anyway so give me an automatic in one of those but in a smaller faster ride, I'd rather shift them myself.

Disagree...

I own 1 of each. Sure the auto is easy to drive, but it's brainless driving.

There's nothing like driving a stick shift. It's fun to fly thru the gears, or downshift just before you enter a turn. Nothing like driving a windy mountain road using the gears & gas to control the car instead of the brakes. You can push your car harder & get more response out of it. You actually get to participate in driving, not just step & steer.

I love manual, and I miss it.

I've drove down the road and was eating lunch at same time, rolling one, changing the radio station and talking on the cell all at the same time in a manual shift in heavy traffic, so it's not really all that hard. 1-2-3-4, or sometimes 5. no biggy.

QUOTE (Indica @ Aug 20 2005, 01:11 PM)
I've drove down the road and was eating lunch at same time, rolling one, changing the radio station and talking on the cell all at the same time in a manual shift in heavy traffic, so it's not really all that hard. 1-2-3-4, or sometimes 5. no biggy.

6 is cool too! biggrin.gif

Auto, never learned how to drive a manual. I tried to learn but it never worked out.

I really love driving a stick, but do to some physical problems I'll probably go back to auto. The Mazda 6 is offered with a 6 speed auto and I'd really like one. smile.gif

QUOTE (Warren @ Aug 20 2005, 06:16 PM)
I really love driving a stick, but do to some physical problems I'll probably go back to auto. The Mazda 6 is offered with a 6 speed auto and I'd really like one. smile.gif

my dad had a manual ford ranger, & due to some physical problems we had to switch him to an automatic ford f-350..kinda odd, but it works much better for him. smile.gif

i voted for auto, but mostly because i'm still trying to drive!!

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 20 2005, 03:27 PM)
Disagree...

I own 1 of each.  Sure the auto is easy to drive, but it's brainless driving.

There's nothing like driving a stick shift.  It's fun to fly thru the gears, or downshift just before you enter a turn.  Nothing like driving a windy mountain road using the gears & gas to control the car instead of the brakes.  You can push your car harder & get more response out of it.  You actually get to participate in driving, not just step & steer.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Well put - I agree with DM completely!

I love driving a stick shift, soooooooooooo much fun!

I will say that, when I got a new 'mommyvan' I thought it was Heavenly, like driving a Laz-e-boy. biggrin.gif

Now though? I am ready to Fly By Night with a sporty 5 Speed and some shiny rims! (My car is currently an automatic, but if I could have waited, I would have preferred a manual transmission)- Next time! laugh.gif

I've owned both...

my first car was a manual transmission....

now i have an automatic

my next car i hope to have manual again......

my girlfriend has a mistubishi eclispe....manual tranmission...

which is always fun to drive when i need my stick fix....!!!!

hmmm... that last sentence didn't come out right....

doh.gif

I prefer manual for everything I drive as long as I am not hauling horse. Then I prefer an automatic. My car, unfortunately is an auto, could you imagine the trouble I would get into with a manual? drool1.gif

Mikes truck is a manual, and I fell in love with it!!! wub.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 20 2005, 09:27 PM)
Disagree...

I own 1 of each. Sure the auto is easy to drive, but it's brainless driving.

There's nothing like driving a stick shift. It's fun to fly thru the gears, or downshift just before you enter a turn. Nothing like driving a windy mountain road using the gears & gas to control the car instead of the brakes. You can push your car harder & get more response out of it. You actually get to participate in driving, not just step & steer.

I agree, I drive a lot and an automatic would be easier, but it's more fun with a manual which is what I have.

I took my road test in a Bug that was a 4 speed stick shift in a blazzard and passed, i have a Ford Ranger 5 speed stick and Saturn 5 speed stick..

Last time i drove an automatic , i stepped on the break with my left foot thinking in was the clutch yes.gif almost broke my nose on the steering wheel, so i don't think i could ajust to a automatic to easy no.gif

So i guess i prefer a stick shift smile.gif

The car my mom just got me is stick. I'm still having to get used to it after so long driving nothing but automatic, but it does make the driving experience more exciting in a way, and I'm starting to feel a kind of special bond with my new Justine. (I named her that after my last car, which was a Subaru Justy, R.I.P.)

Jerusalem's all hills, and invariably if I'm stopped at a red light it'll be facing uphill, so it's still a pain having to deal with the clutch in the city. And I know I'm changing gears later than I ought to. All in all, though, I like it. cool.gif

Archived