Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails?

driven_to_xanadu

Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails (Original or Remixed)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Most Underrated Song from Vapor Trails (Original or Remixed)

• One Little Victory
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Ghost Rider
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • The Stars Look Down
    • How It Is
    • Vapor Trail
    • Secret Touch
    • Earthshine
    • Sweet Miracle
    • Nocturne
    • Freeze
    • Out of the Cradle

I don't understand why some people like to make such a point out of shitting all over things that other people love.

i for one was just stating an opinion. i have nothing against people that love VT.

Honestly ;)

Mick

It's true. Witness our unique bond guys!

• Like 3

Stating an opinion that is different is "shitting" all over something? :unsure:

I don't understand why so many here have a problem with folks who don't think the same way they do. The funny thing about most of them is that I'm sure they would all call themselves liberal and open minded.

Good grief this post needs way more likes!

• Like 1

I finally voted, and I voted for Ghost Rider. Really, I think anyone's favorite song on this album is underrated because as soon as anyone mentions VT, it never gets a fighting chance. :LOL:

I fight for it!

But in all honesty though, every band has those albums only a select few seem to "get". VT is most certainly the most extreme example in the bunch!

I get bored of reading the hate it gets, but I also take delight in the fact that I really enjoy this album as much as I do, I just wish others could share in it. It is a cathartic experience, I play it and I feel the pain, the tension and the confusion of depression raging within me ebb away as I let the raw emotion splinter my feelings into a moulded form of calm. It isn't perfect from a technical viewpoint, but its flaws are its strengths. It's not easy for me to explain why I love this album so much, but it isn't about the polish or the great production that makes me love Rush, it is those moments of genuine emotion, songs like Distant Early Warning, Limelight or The Pass that make me really cling to this band. This album sustains the intensity of the most unfocused emotions, such as rage, sorrow and reclusiveness, and it isn't pretty.

And why should it be?

I have a very deep love for this album.

• Like 2

I finally voted, and I voted for Ghost Rider. Really, I think anyone's favorite song on this album is underrated because as soon as anyone mentions VT, it never gets a fighting chance. :LOL:

I fight for it!

But in all honesty though, every band has those albums only a select few seem to "get". VT is most certainly the most extreme example in the bunch!

I get bored of reading the hate it gets, but I also take delight in the fact that I really enjoy this album as much as I do, I just wish others could share in it. It is a cathartic experience, I play it and I feel the pain, the tension and the confusion of depression raging within me ebb away as I let the raw emotion splinter my feelings into a moulded form of calm. It isn't perfect from a technical viewpoint, but its flaws are its strengths. It's not easy for me to explain why I love this album so much, but it isn't about the polish or the great production that makes me love Rush, it is those moments of genuine emotion, songs like Distant Early Warning, Limelight or The Pass that make me really cling to this band. This album sustains the intensity of the most unfocused emotions, such as rage, sorrow and reclusiveness, and it isn't pretty.

And why should it be?

Maybe that has something to do with you coming in to it so many years after it was released. When it first came out people were like what is this crap? It sounded so horrible it was hard to listen to.

I fight for it!

And why should it be?

Maybe that has something to do with you coming in to it so many years after it was released. When it first came out people were like what is this crap? It sounded so horrible it was hard to listen to.

Nah. I hated it. It made sense to me after I became really I'll last year. Just another case of an emotional attachment!

Plus I like a lot of scuzzy indie stuff, so the production was not a big issue for me.

• Like 1

For the record I was not trying to create a VT love fest here, it is one of my least liked Rush albums. But my opinion has changed a little in that I can appreciate about half of the album as strong material.

It's actually a couple of songs that they haven't played live from it that I enjoy, although OLV and Earthshine are pretty cool too.

Edited by driven_to_xanadu
  • Like 3

I don't understand why so many here have a problem with folks who don't think the same way they do. The funny thing about most of them is that I'm sure they would all call themselves liberal and open minded.

absolutely every time the subject of vapor trails comes up this guy has to make sure to remind everyone how much he hates it. so fine but he comes in here and says right out that he knows this thread is for people who like it but he's going to tell us all yet again about how much he hates it. I don't have a problem with him hating the album, I have a problem with him incessantly being such a dick about it.

It's a good thing you weren't here when Goober was around :yes: :rfl:

• Like 3

absolutely every time the subject of vapor trails comes up this guy has to make sure to remind everyone how much he hates it. so fine but he comes in here and says right out that he knows this thread is for people who like it but he's going to tell us all yet again about how much he hates it. I don't have a problem with him hating the album, I have a problem with him incessantly being such a dick about it.

True dat!

• Like 1

There are very few times that I don't think of him whenever anyone ever mentions Vapor Trails. :LOL:

• Like 2

What happened to Goober?

He is still among the living...

Aaah OK...

I said Ceiling Unlimited. I really love the drive on it. I mean some others on this album are the same way, but I don't think stuff like Secret Touch, Earthshine and OLV are underrated, because they were played live a lot. But the first time I heard Ceiling Unlimited was a bootleg, and I was blown away at how amazing it sounded.
  • Like 1

nocturne or freeze

I agree with Freeze, but only the original recording. The remaster, for all the sonic improvement, really lost a lot of the first drama that makes VT great. The last two tracks are unlistenable to my ears on the remix.

• Like 1

Sigh. This is a very hard one to answer as my feelings are about VT are similar to Goobers. Although if I recall correctly, he found no redeeming features in the album, I think their are some, very limited redeeming features to the original album and some songs that were frustrating flawed. Those songs actually had great potential that I could sense but they never achieved what they could have been.

That being said, I think the remix is much better than the original - and its still the album I dislike more than any other Rush album - save the original mix of course. I get a headache from trying to listen to the remix. The original - shudder. I have headaches 1 or 2 songs in. The remix I only start to get them near the end.

Ok - so to answer the question, I need to explain my read of the OP's question. The OP asked what the most UNDERRATED song on VT is, not what my FAVORITE song is. Sorry about all the cap'ing but wanted to do that to highlight a distinction I am trying to make in the answer.

As for favorite vs. underrated - its a big distinction.

Favorite is just that. Underrated is a little different. Its a golden nugget that does not get the attention it deserves and is overlooked by many fans and perhaps the band. At least thats how I look at it.

So using that criteria to determine what the most underrated is, my vote goes to Peaceable Kingdom. Its got some very good lyrics (think of the "Talk of a peaceable kingdom, talk of a time without war / fear, the ones we wish would listen have heard it all before / are never going to hear" lines).

Wonderful.

In addition, the group have never plaid it live (to the best of my knowledge).

The other golden nugget hidden among all the lead (to my ears) is Ghost Rider. However, I can vote for it as I don't think its as "underrated" as Peaceable Kingdom - mostly because I believe it has been played live. Although the band seems to have stressed Secret Touch & One LIttle Victory much more. Ghost Rider has received the attention that is due it. PK - not from the group anyway.

BTW - I find Ghost Rider to be the best song on the album as its been recorded. PK - if only the Presto producer could have worked with them on this song. What a song it could have been. When I mentioned frustrating flawed songs, this was the song I most had in mind.

Edited by TheAccountant

I'm gonna go with Out of the Cradle, because I think that's an insanely good song and it has a pretty low rating on the "Totem Polls" page for this album. Geddy kills it on that track from every angle. But I love this whole album, and considering how extensively it is shat upon from all sides (and folks, you're entitled to that opinion, I don't blame ya), it has got to be the most underrated.

Maybe it's just the context in which I came upon it. It was the first album that came out since I had become a Rush fan (I was in high school at the time, not to make anyone feel old or anything, just to state the facts), and I had just gotten into the band rather recently, so I didn't even know the backstory of personal tragedy / presumed retirement / triumphant return. I just knew it as the first Rush album I was able to buy on the day it came out. It took me a couple of listens to get into it, but every song grew on me. I assumed Rush fans must consider it their best work since MP, not knowing for years how wrong I was. Maybe it's just the headspace I was in at that point in my life as a Rush fan, music listener, and human being. Maybe the production has never bothered me because I have an untrained ear or because I got into music after the Loudness War was basically over and that kind of sound was the norm. Maybe I just dig a certain kind of songwriting that has a much narrower appeal than I would've guessed. Whatever the case, I think it's an exemplary album. I love the sound and the mature writing of it way more than SA or CA. Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, How It Is, Secret Touch, Sweet Miracle, Freeze, Out of the Cradle... all phenomenal tracks IMO.

The Remix... is okay. I like having the guitar solo back in Ceiling, and I think the layered guitars are nicely clarified on tracks like Earthshine, but most of it is six one way, half-dozen the other. And Secret Touch is unquestionably diminished -- there's like, a hiccup in the way the loud guitar blasts back in after the "quiet part," and I can't get over it. I usually listen to the original, since I never had a problem with it in the first place. I wish I could apply Original VT production to, say, RTB.

I think the anti-VT opinions expressed here have been entirely cordial, even if I can't comprehend them. ;) Just trying to turn this thread into a VT lovefest after all!

EDITED: Typos, gah.

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun
  • Like 1

I'm gonna go with Out of the Cradle, because I think that's an insanely good song and it has a pretty low rating on the "Totem Polls" page for this album. Geddy kills it on that track from every angle. But I love this whole album, and considering how extensively it is shat upon from all sides (and folks, you're entitled to that opinion, I don't blame ya), it has got to be the most underrated.

Maybe it's just the context in which I came upon it. It was the first album that came out since I had become a Rush fan (I was in high school at the time, not to make anyone feel old or anything, just to state the facts), and I had just gotten into the band rather recently, so I didn't even know the backstory of personal tragedy / presumed retirement / triumphant return. I just knew it as the first Rush album I was able to buy on the day it came out. It took me a couple of listens to get into it, but every song grew on me. I assumed Rush fans must consider it their best work since MP, not knowing for years how wrong I was. Maybe it's just the headspace I was in at that point in my life as a Rush fan, music listener, and human being. Maybe the production has never bothered me because I have an untrained ear or because I got into music after the Loudness War was basically over and that kind of sound was the norm. Maybe I just dig a certain kind of songwriting that has a much narrower appeal than I would've guessed. Whatever the case, I think it's an exemplary album. I love the sound and the mature writing of it way more than SA or CA. Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, How It Is, Secret Touch, Sweet Miracle, Freeze, Out of the Cradle... all phenomenal tracks IMO.

The Remix... is okay. I like having the guitar solo back in Ceiling, and I think the layered guitars are nicely clarified on tracks like Earthshine, but most of it is six one way, half-dozen the other. And Secret Touch is unquestionably diminished -- there's like, a hiccup in the way the loud guitar blasts back in after the "quiet part," and I can't get over it. I usually listen to the original, since I never had a problem with it in the first place. I wish I could apply Original VT production to, say, RTB.

I think the anti-VT opinions expressed here have been entirely cordial, even if I can't comprehend them. ;) Just trying to turn this thread into a VT lovefest after all!

EDITED: Typos, gah.

I am gonna change my vote to OOTC. I agree about it. I love it!!!!