Your Favourite Albums Overlooked By Media/Fans

Geddy lee-My Favorite Headache.

Some people like the pound of VT.......fine. I do not.

and this is the album VT should have been.

Way more melodic, more Diverse in sound. Produced better. Nice peaks and Valley's that music SHOULD have.

A wonderful album.

Mick

• Like 1

Geddy lee-My Favorite Headache.

Some people like the pound of VT.......fine. I do not.

and this is the album VT should have been.

Way more melodic, more Diverse in sound. Produced better. Nice peaks and Valley's that music SHOULD have.

A wonderful album.

Mick

I should listen to it again, maybe. I haven't done so for ten years, maybe more.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

So here I am in my hotel room playing Foreigner's Can't Slow Down, and a thought occurred to me: This is the best studio album the band ever released, and yet no fan of this band ever seems to talk about it! Shame on everyone!

So, this is a thread, not necessarily about your favourite albums, but about those special albums in your collection that either arrived during a dip in the bands popularity and saw frail album sales, or maybe even absolute stone cold masterpieces that never EVER saw just recognition.

Here are three more:

Khoma- The Second Wave

Strangeways- Native Sons

Fleetwood Mac- Time

Hey buddy I see you have nice picture of Nightwish. I didn't know the Doobie Brothers were part of the band. LOL!

Just fukking with ya!

• Like 1

So here I am in my hotel room playing Foreigner's Can't Slow Down, and a thought occurred to me: This is the best studio album the band ever released, and yet no fan of this band ever seems to talk about it! Shame on everyone!

So, this is a thread, not necessarily about your favourite albums, but about those special albums in your collection that either arrived during a dip in the bands popularity and saw frail album sales, or maybe even absolute stone cold masterpieces that never EVER saw just recognition.

Here are three more:

Khoma- The Second Wave

Strangeways- Native Sons

Fleetwood Mac- Time

Hey buddy I see you have nice picture of Nightwish. I didn't know the Doobie Brothers were part of the band. LOL!

Just fukking with ya!

I loved that comment! Haha

Doobie Brothers...Nightwish... I kind of want to know what it would sound like if they collaborated!

Naturally they'd cover a Van Halen song in the style of Steel Panther.

Edited by Segue Myles

I think these are kick-ass records (not all necessarily overlooked):

Get the Knack

Big Star - #1 Record and Radio City

Boston - Don't Look Back

David Gilmour [first solo album]

Gov't Mule - Dose

• Like 2

Vandenberg - s/t

I saw these guys open for Ozzy on the Speak of the Devil tour. Burning Heart was pretty big on the radio at the time. Their lyrics were a little cheesy, but Bert Heerink had a great voice, and Adrian Vandenberg was a wizard on guitar. They never got off the ground for some reason.

Wow, almost forgot about them. I saw them open for someone (maybe Dio?) back in the early 80s. Adrian impressed.

• Like 1

Vandenberg - s/t

I saw these guys open for Ozzy on the Speak of the Devil tour. Burning Heart was pretty big on the radio at the time. Their lyrics were a little cheesy, but Bert Heerink had a great voice, and Adrian Vandenberg was a wizard on guitar. They never got off the ground for some reason.

Wow, almost forgot about them. I saw them open for someone (maybe Dio?) back in the early 80s. Adrian impressed.

Looked them up on YouTube and watched the original video and a live show from 2010. Bert looks and sounds pretty good. Not sure if Adrian is well as he did not look good at all.

• Like 1

Vandenberg - s/t

Looked them up on YouTube and watched the original video and a live show from 2010. Bert looks and sounds pretty good. Not sure if Adrian is well as he did not look good at all.

I think illness forced him out of Whitesnake. He was on with Eddie Trunk recently and sounded like he's in a better place.

Interesting thread !

Off the top of my head i will say

Black sabbath technical ectasy and sympton of the universe

TE? I think it's the worst Ozzy era album. It actually caused the dip in Sabbath's popularity.

I really liked it..

Interesting thread !

TE? I think it's the worst Ozzy era album. It actually caused the dip in Sabbath's popularity.

I really liked it..

You have to judge the reaction based on what was happening when it was released. Punk was huge and new, more exciting music like Van halen was coming out. Looking back it is actually good. The music definitely bridges the older doom/sludge sound to what happens on heaven and hell/mob rules.

• Like 1

Interesting thread !

I really liked it..

Although it's equally maligned, I actually prefer Never Say Die!

• Like 1

Interesting thread !

I really liked it..

Johnny blade ftw!

• Like 1

Interesting thread !

I really liked it..

Johnny blade ftw!

To be fair, Tec Ex does have the excellent It's Alright.

Interesting thread !

I really liked it..

Johnny blade ftw!

To be fair, Tec Ex does have the excellent It's Alright.

I think my faves are all moving parts(stand still) and dirty women

I may needs to pull this for a listen this week..

Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth

- The Chemical Wedding

I have never heard/read anyone ever saying a bad thing about these two albums. Both albums always get the highest praise and were certainly more well received than Maiden's output at this time. I guess the albums could have been more popular but it was the late 90s and metal just wasn't selling unless you were Metallica or Ozzy.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Speaking of Black Sabbath, I think their stuff with Tony Martin is very overlooked. I do understand why though after all the band member changes and the terribly un-Sabbath albums like Born Again and Seventh Star that came before Martin joined. But when Martin came in, I felt they got back to being Sabbath again. Dark lyrics, heavy riffs and the overall tone of the band was dark/evil again. Forbidden was a bit hit and miss but there is a lot of great material on The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr and Cross Purposes. CP is actually a top ten Sabbath album for me.

Martin is the second longest running singer in the bands history after Ozzy. Yet, he will never get the respect he deserves for what he did while with them.

Speaking of Black Sabbath, I think their stuff with Tony Martin is very overlooked. I do understand why though after all the band member changes and the terribly un-Sabbath albums like Born Again and Seventh Star that came before Martin joined. But when Martin came in, I felt they got back to being Sabbath again. Dark lyrics, heavy riffs and the overall tone of the band was dark/evil again. Forbidden was a bit hit and miss but there is a lot of great material on The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross, Tyr and Cross Purposes. CP is actually a top ten Sabbath album for me.

Martin is the second longest running singer in the bands history after Ozzy. Yet, he will never get the respect he deserves for what he did while with them.

I don't know. Sabbath is in the running for my favorite band of all time. I love the Ozzy era and the Dio era. To me, there's just nothing remarkable about the Martin albums, and I've tried to appreciate them. Martin has a good voice, but I think there's a reason why, despite fronting Black Sabbath for so long, he got dumped for the Dehumanizer reunion and again for the first Ozzy reunion, and why none of his projects outside of Sabbath (for example, Cage) have found an audience.

I'll add Something Else by The Kinks and The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society. A small minority of people (me included) think '60s Kinks form a holy rock trinity with The Beatles and early Stones. Some people, recalling some of their hits, or an album or two, say "yeah, they're alright." Too many act like they never existed. The two albums I mentioned are absolute classics. Never get old.
  • Like 2

I don't know. Sabbath is in the running for my favorite band of all time. I love the Ozzy era and the Dio era. To me, there's just nothing remarkable about the Martin albums, and I've tried to appreciate them. Martin has a good voice, but I think there's a reason why, despite fronting Black Sabbath for so long, he got dumped for the Dehumanizer reunion and again for the first Ozzy reunion, and why none of his projects outside of Sabbath (for example, Cage) have found an audience.

Well, Iommi would have been nuts not to drop Martin for the Dio reunion in 1992. There were plenty of reasons as to why Martin fronting Sabbath didn't do anything but I never felt lack of good material was one of them. The constant lineup changes, the lack of marketing and being on a bad record label all contributed to fans just not caring or even knowing about the Martin stuff. The label that distributed the Martin era albums went out of business years ago. So, now if anyone is interested in that stuff, it's harder for them to find. Martin didn't do well with his other musical efforts because he never made that big of a name for himself while in Sabbath and I think most fans of his are like me where they don't care for anything else he's done outside of Sabbath.

Well, Iommi would have been nuts not to drop Martin for the Dio reunion in 1992. There were plenty of reasons as to why Martin fronting Sabbath didn't do anything but I never felt lack of good material was one of them. The constant lineup changes, the lack of marketing and being on a bad record label all contributed to fans just not caring or even knowing about the Martin stuff. The label that distributed the Martin era albums went out of business years ago. So, now if anyone is interested in that stuff, it's harder for them to find. Martin didn't do well with his other musical efforts because he never made that big of a name for himself while in Sabbath and I think most fans of his are like me where they don't care for anything else he's done outside of Sabbath.

I actually think Iommi ended up on IRS because the material released after Dio left was a bit weak. You have to think the name alone generated label interest.