Battle of the Epic Songs (Preliminary - Round 1)

Lorraine

Rush Debut Album  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most epic song from this album?

• Finding My Way
    • Need Some Love
    • Take A Friend
    • Here Again
    • What You're Doing
    • In The Mood
    • Before And After
    • Working Man

My only dilemma is whether I should include Permanent Waves. But we can save that battle for later.

psst... :yes: you certainly should include it ;)

I had just decided to do so and then I read your post. As far as I am concerned, that is what it is - a seventies album since it was written and recorded in the seventies. At least half of the album sounds seventies anyway.

So Permanent Waves will be included. :)

Yes you should include Permanent Waves. Anyone who "lived it" would always say it was a 70's album especially given the fact that they did a pre tour playing the music from it in 79'. I was fortunate to attend both the pre tour and the regular Permanent Waves tour. The folks not living it just see a date and don't give a sh*t from what I see anyway... :)

I agree, and I am going to include it. :)

Well then you lose my vote.... I am out of this game... sorry...

Still like you thou!

:o

Alrighty then.

Still like you too!

:hi:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

My only dilemma is whether I should include Permanent Waves. But we can save that battle for later.

I had just decided to do so and then I read your post. As far as I am concerned, that is what it is - a seventies album since it was written and recorded in the seventies. At least half of the album sounds seventies anyway.

Yes you should include Permanent Waves. Anyone who "lived it" would always say it was a 70's album especially given the fact that they did a pre tour playing the music from it in 79'. I was fortunate to attend both the pre tour and the regular Permanent Waves tour. The folks not living it just see a date and don't give a sh*t from what I see anyway... :)

Still like you thou!

Alrighty then.

Yep. See ya... :hi: Good Lord
  • Like 1

Still like you thou!

Alrighty then.

Yep. See ya... :hi: Good Lord

Yeah. See you around!

Wowza...not voting, denying the whole process, because you don't like one of the choices...out of so many...

Evidently it's not just in the U.S. that voters' philosophy is kind of screwed up.

• Like 4

Wowza...not voting, denying the whole process, because you don't like one of the choices...out of so many...

Evidently it's not just in the U.S. that voters' philosophy is kind of screwed up.

I bet you will miss this kind of stuff for the week you are gone... :sarcastic:
  • Like 1

I'll certainly have a lot to catch up on...or to wade through... :P

• Like 1

Narps, let's keep a daily log for him so that when he returns on the 2nd of July, we won't have to tax our memories and can just easily fill him in on all that he missed.

Narps, let's keep a daily log for him so that when he returns on the 2nd of July, we won't have to tax our memories and can just easily fill him in on all that he missed.

I would if I had those kinds of skills. Anything fraroc starts seems a good place to start... :eh:
  • Like 1

I would if I had those kinds of skills. Anything fraroc starts seems a good place to start... :eh:

Ummm...if I may interject my preference, there..

Waiter! There's a fly in my soup!

• Like 1

A week? My money's on 3 hours

What You're Doing all the way. Best song written by them prior to 2112.

No offense or anything, but :wtf:
  • Like 2

Working Man defined Rush in the 70's. If it hadn't been for that song, they wouldn't be the band they are today.
  • Like 1

Guess it depends on what you mean by "epic."

If by epic you mean just really cool and rockin', then I'd say Finding My Way fits that category.

If by epic you mean some kind of legendary narrative, then maybe Here Again comes close lyrically (sounds like a dude reflecting on life), plus it has the virtue of length and a beautiful solo, as has been pointed out. It's a slightly more loping sort of thing, but still very cool.

If by epic you mean the song that sort of cemented their future as Rock Royalty, then I guess that would be Working Man.

If by epic you mean the song that foreshadows the kind of proggy coolness still to come, that might actually be Before and After, because it has that sweet acoustic intro that builds and then rocks out, like many future Rush tunes.

Tough one.

• Like 2

Working Man is really the only choice here. I like the album but Working Man is head and shoulders above the rest.
  • Like 3

Guess it depends on what you mean by "epic."

If by epic you mean just really cool and rockin', then I'd say Finding My Way fits that category.

If by epic you mean some kind of legendary narrative, then maybe Here Again comes close lyrically (sounds like a dude reflecting on life), plus it has the virtue of length and a beautiful solo, as has been pointed out. It's a slightly more loping sort of thing, but still very cool.

If by epic you mean the song that sort of cemented their future as Rock Royalty, then I guess that would be Working Man.

If by epic you mean the song that foreshadows the kind of proggy coolness still to come, that might actually be Before and After, because it has that sweet acoustic intro that builds and then rocks out, like many future Rush tunes.

Tough one.

Pretty sure she simply used the word epic for a change instead of the usual best or favorite. I just choose my favorite song.