New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

Don't expect much drumming wise, Earl...Nicko's doing the same drum fills he's done for the past 20 years.

Who pays attention to the drums when listening to Maiden? I'm sure Nicko does a good job but I can't say I ever really listen to what he does. It's hard for him to stand out when you've got Bruce, Adrian, Dave and Steve doing their thing so well.

Wait, I forgot that Earl is a drummer, so maybe he does listen to Nicko :LOL:

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Yeah the drumming is standard Nicko and the production on the drums isn't that great, it's almost shed garage quality. I think they should have booted Kevin Shirley out and got someone else.

The album itself is good, though it's a bit early for me to say really. My favourite song after one full listen is The Red and the Black which is the only song that was written solely by Harris.

Up the Irons!!!! Book of Souls is the real deal!!!!

Damn. You like Maiden? That's f***ing awesome!

I ordered the CD from Amazon, but it's sold out. However, I listened to the first CD via Amazon Prime streaming and it was OK. One of the songs was really long, which was awesome. I can't wait to hear the end of it and attend the next tour.

If Eternity Should Fail is amazing. A perfect opening track.

Its about 2 minutes (to midnight) too long for me. And what about that cheesy shit at the end?

FUKK!!! I'm almost at the end of this album and I fukking love it after one listening!!!! WTF?

Oh it's FAIL not FALL... :oops:

I made the same slip up for a while until I finally heard it

I'm now on the track dubbed THE MAN OF SORROWS! I wonder who that could be?

Maybe this guy? :huh:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/05e498f9dc656cad5fff3ea2c0c95bca/tumblr_nu0o5hauuG1r41unfo1_500.gif

FUkking CLAZZIC!

No typos.

Don't expect much drumming wise, Earl...Nicko's doing the same drum fills he's done for the past 20 years.

HAHAHA!! I love you guys! Hell yes I love Nicko! I was telling Calirush today that I love his drumming with Pat Travers. Killer shit!

Anyway YES! I totally get it! Nick reminds me of Ian Mosley of Marillion. The same f***ing drum fills and cymbal crashes but man they are both LEGENDS!!!!!

This new album kicks fukking ARSE! Still not at the "cheesey ending." Give me "Sailin The Seas Of Cheese" instead! LOL!

Love,

TIM "HERB" ALEXANDER

Maybe the best album since 7th son?

That's what I'm thinking. It's certainly the first time since then that I've had a new Maiden album on repeat for days. If Eternity Should Fail is the best opening track they've done since Moonchild, IMO :haz:

Are you guys both drinking the same fukking Maiden Moonshine I am?

I've already mentioned in past posts that the last great Maiden album was Seventh Son. With crafty classy keyboards.

This new album reminds of "Seventh Son."

"EIGHTH DAUGHTER OF AN EIGHTH DAUGHTER" HAS BEEN BORN! REJOICE AND UP THE IRONS UP YOUR METAL ARSES!!!!!

This album RULES!

Maybe the best album since 7th son?

That's what I'm thinking. It's certainly the first time since then that I've had a new Maiden album on repeat for days. If Eternity Should Fail is the best opening track they've done since Moonchild, IMO :haz:

Are you guys both drinking the same fukking Maiden Moonshine I am?

I don't know if it's the same kind but i've been drinking that for over 20 years now.

• Like 1

Love the album. I thought for sure that one of the longer songs would end up being my favorite, but right now it's When the River Runs Deep. If I have any complaints it's that the production isn't great. The drums in particular could sound way better...I think it's time for Caveman to go. Thankfully the vinyl sounds a lot better, plus the gatefold is sweet!
  • Like 1

It's only just occurred to me that this is the most consecutive albums they've done without a lineup change, with 5 albums...overtaking the 4 album run from Piece of Mind to Seventh Son
  • Like 1

I started listening to this album yesterday. I have only listened to the first side, and haven't even touched the second side yet. I want to absorb all I can from the first half before I venture into the second half.

Holy f***ing shit. This is f***ing amazing. There isn't a weak track on the first side, and they range from great-fanfuckingtastic. Bruce's vocals are on all cylinders. Excellent guitar solos and interplay from the three amigos.

I love the haunting atmosphere in If Eternity Should Fail, and the guitar harmonies. As soon as Bruce's vocals start, you know you're in for a ride.

Speed Of Light is a great tune, if fairly straightforward. Classic Adrian/Dave interplay.

The Great Unknown took a bit to grow on me, but Janick rips this one to shreds. Great tune.

The Red And The Black is the instant favorite along with If Eternity Should Fail. The bass chords bookending the song are neat, and this is just overall an amazing track. Harkens back to Ancient Mariner and stuff from AMOLAD. I can understand if people get tired of the long instrumental break in the second half, but I'm loving every second of it.

When The River Runs Deep has awesome drums, and is another favorite :haz:

The title track screams Janick Gers. This one's taking longer to grow on me but gracefully so.

I hope the second side is just as good, if not even better. If so, it'll be a top 5 Maiden album and easily their best since Brave New World, if not Seventh Son. All these months of waiting have already been worth it :haz:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 4

I think the first disc is better but you really need to listen to the second one. A lot of good stuff there too. You're gonna love Empire Of The Clouds. It's a great epic and the jam that starts around the 7:20 mark has some real nice guitar work.
  • Like 1

I am a little nervous posting my views on this. I honestly have nothing to complain about, this is as magnificent and as wonderful as the last four studio albums, but that's it. It just...exists as another wonderfully decent Maiden album, and unlike Nightwish's latest, another standard release with a sidelong epic, nothing truly grips me.

It's all wonderful but it has no filler (I don't like the opening song at all but a lot seem to Disagree), and oddly no killer. Get me?

I am disappointed in my own disappointment.

I am a little nervous posting my views on this. I honestly have nothing to complain about, this is as magnificent and as wonderful as the last four studio albums, but that's it. It just...exists as another wonderfully decent Maiden album, and unlike Nightwish's latest, another standard release with a sidelong epic, nothing truly grips me.

It's all wonderful but it has no filler (I don't like the opening song at all but a lot seem to Disagree), and oddly no killer. Get me?

How many times have you listened to the album so far?

• Like 1

How many times have you listened to the album so far?

No more than once all the way through. (Not one sitting either haha)