CA Album Battle 19: Clockwork Angels vs. Snakes And Arrows

Segue Myles

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is Best?

• Clockwork Angels
    • Snakes And Arrows

Snakes & Arrows easy! It´s one of my favorite albums! It´s a masterpiece!

i remember you telling me...its great you find something to enjoy!

Do people actually sit down and listen to an album all the way through anymore?

Yes.

Same...I rarely play single songs. If a choon is in my head, the whole album gets played.

Sometimes I shuffle...but the minute I find a song I enjoy, I'm hunting down the album!

Do people actually sit down and listen to an album all the way through anymore?

Yes.

Same...I rarely play single songs. If a choon is in my head, the whole album gets played.

Sometimes I shuffle...but the minute I find a song I enjoy, I'm hunting down the album!

I might listen to an album straight through when I first get it, but older albums that I've heard repeatedly I usually skip around.

• Like 2

Snakes and Arrows for me...better songs, better sound and better beer!

Oh wait, forget the better beer part.

I just love this album...from my first listen when it was released to my listen a couple of days ago.

I really think it is the band at their modern day best.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/tourbooks/snakes-and-arrows-cover-s.jpg

• Like 2

S&A sounds better, but CA is still a far stronger album. Much more interesting arrangements and playing, and fewer songs that seem to drag on longer than they should.
  • Like 1

First of all, a big thanks to Segue Myles for starting this series of "Ca vs..." threads. I had never really compared CA to Rush's other albums and this series of threads made me do it and realize that, although CA is a decent album, compared to much of Rush's other work I do not care for it all that much.

For this match up, I will compare it to a track relay (I have compared other match ups to boxing match's, tennis match's or horse races so why not change sports again??).

S & A gets off to a huge early lead with a series of great legs being run by very strong songs like Far Cry, A &S, Working them Angeles, The Larger Bowl. Spindthrift is only ok. CA has its first 5 legs run by poor over very poor runners and falls way behind.

Just when CA gets going with a very strong leg being run by Halo Effect it finds it can't gain any ground as its matched by a very strong leg run by The Main Monkey Business. 7 Cities of Gold Runs a strong leg and can barely gain any ground as its almost matched by The Way the Wind Blows. Finally, with Headlong Flight, The Wreckers and Wish Them Well, CA gains some ground. To keep both albums matched up evenly (in terms of # of songs) S & A bench's Mal Nar (which is stronger song than "Bravest Face"). Both agree that BU2B2 and Hope will run against each other and Hope wins that leg comfortably. Needing a miracle CA closes with The Garden which runs a very strong leg and its mostly matched by We Hold on which runs a reasonably strong leg - and more than holds on. Although CA is gaining ground on that leg, The Garden has to much ground to make up and its not matched against a bad song - as a number of the strong S & A songs were.

In short, even with benching Mal Nar and sending a weaker song out in it place, S & A wins comfortably.

It should also be noted that the production / missing on S & A is very good - perhaps the best for a Rush album since Counterparts. CA - not good.

S & A runs my imaginary race and wins easily - even if its not winning in the overall poll.

CA and S&A are two albums with very different sounds. I think CA is more of their Prog sound, while S&A has a Beatle-esque feeling to it (As do parts of CA).

They both only have one absolute loser track - CA with Halo Effect, and S&A with The Main Monkey Business.

As far as S&A songs that I love, there are -

Malignant Narcissism

Far Cry

Bravest Face

Good News First

The Way The Wind Blows

The Larger Bowl

Faithless

Workin' Them Angels

Then There is the few tracks that I don't love, but I don't dislike, which are -

Armor and Sword

Spindrift

Hope

We Hold On

----

As far as Clockwork Angels goes, I love a good chunk of the album -

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong FLight

The Garden

Then there is the songs that I like, but don't love and don't dislike -

Wish Them Well

BU2B2

-----------

So overall it's Clockwork Angels for the win, although I would listen to either album....

Gonna change that.... I actually LOVE Armor and Sword, and don't know how it got there. Remembering that, S&A for the win!

• Like 1