Cool and unique things about Rush

toymaker

I don't imagine there is ever a chance for a "new topic" at this point, but I was thinking about some of the things that I admire about this band, and sometimes it's just the little things. For example, I love when Lifeson uses his acoustic guitar on its stand while having the electric strapped on and ready to go. Entre Nous was so cool to watch partly for that reason. I don't much like it when Lifeson plays the acoustic parts through an acoustic simulator effect on his PRS or whatever.

Lee's little dances, though . . . especially the one where he looks like he's learning to roller-skate . . . well, I have mixed feelings.

Please post your favorite moments of unique or different coolness. Please also remember that this isn't in the spoiler section, so don't refer specifically to the latest tour . . .

When Geddy is hitting his head during concerts.

And when Neil throw his drumstick up in the air.

When Alex is joking around on stage.

When Geddy play his bass solos.

When Neil smile during concerts.

• Like 3

I love their sense of humour! We get to see it in the little concert videos they make, and it comes out in interviews and on stage as well.

There have been a couple times when I've been way up front at shows and had Alex look right at me and smile, or Geddy would look at me (probably with a serious look on my face) and he would make a funny face which made me crack up.

Gotta love those guys.

• Like 4

I love their sense of humour! We get to see it in the little concert videos they make, and it comes out in interviews and on stage as well.

There have been a couple times when I've been way up front at shows and had Alex look right at me and smile, or Geddy would look at me (probably with a serious look on my face) and he would make a funny face which made me crack up.

Gotta love those guys.

Their sense of humor has always been fun. Especially since the mid-80s or so. Before that they were pretty much just straight up rock-and-roll at their concerts. But one thing I find really appealing is that they stuck to their guns and played the kind of music they wanted to play and not just for something that would get on the radio.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I love it when Alex farts and asks Neil if he dealt it

I'm glad I've never heard or smelled that happen.

• Like 1

their funny intros

when Geddy jumps

when geddy and alex interact with the audience

geddy's duck faces

when they smile/talk to each other while playing

i could go on forever, they're so adorable.

• Like 3

I like a lot of their song endings, too, when playing live - not just those crazy extended noisy endings like a lot of bands do, but occasionally throwing another riff in, like the Cheech and Chong thing or referencing their own songs. I like a dramatic ending.
  • Like 2

One thing I always thought was cool years ago (it's a lot more common nowdays) was that Alex played a semi-hollow body guitar. You rarely saw that in rock like you did in other genres of music.
  • Like 1

One thing I always thought was cool years ago (it's a lot more common nowdays) was that Alex played a semi-hollow body guitar. You rarely saw that in rock like you did in other genres of music.

And with Alex, you could always hear that it was a semi-hollow -- especially with his sunburst 335 ... Those open chords rang out and his sound filled up so much space - a very "woody" sound early on when he used it

Edited by Lucas

The first thing that came to mind - and the first thing that made me love RUSH so much - Geddy's voice

Not only did Geddy have that unique voice, but the way he used it and how it fit so perfect with what they were doing - totally unmistakable uniqueness ...

Nobody could emulate or copy it - and Geddy was not schooled or trained with his voice in any way - it was HIM ... it was RUSH

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Lee's little dances, though . . . especially the one where he looks like he's learning to roller-skate . . . well, I have mixed feelings.

I could do without Geddy's duckfaces, though. He does them too often during the show.

It's fun to watch your favourite band get progressively drunker and sillier as the night goes on!

:goodone: Thank you for posting this...just cracks me up...love it when Alex says I'm going to rise to my knees and kick your ass. then they joke about making a concept album Frankenstein.....it's like Monty Python for me...get to quoting stuff forever.....

The documentary was what made me become a fan, (and the music of course) I just loved seeing what funny complex people they are...this made my evening thanks!

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1