Would Anyone Mind This Set?

amalignantfarcry

I'm perfectly happy with the current set the band have picked.

I was just having a bit of fun, putting together my own show.

If I've stepped outside of the "rules", better call Saul, and sue me.

Edited by kevycanavan
  • Like 1

There are currently 4 slots for alternating songs...

You are suggesting 13 slots. The could never happen, on so many different levels.

Rush's current reverse chronological four alternating song three rotating set list format is amazing in my opinion.

If we still want to discuss tweaking the setlist, I would keep it closer to reality, with some alternate songs within the existing 4 slot rotation format.

• Like 1

The set-list's (A,B and C) are amazing. The whole theme and pace was so awesome. Words can't even give it justice in describing my emotions through out the evening last night.

It was a special night. I can feel the bands genuine feelings towards us as their fans with this set-list. I was at first quite shocked when they opened with The Anarchist, then going into Clockwork Angels and then Headlong Flight.....it dawned on me "hey....they are going from present to past and this is going to be one big build up". When they ended the first set with Subdivisions....I looked at my wife and said get ready for the main course. This was a warm up.

And indeed it was.

The second set was perfect. I would not change a single thing. Now we can have some fun with what tunes could have been represented in the first set. But I have to tell you I was thrilled they brought back:

Roll The Bones.

Why? My kid loves that song and never had seen it live. He had a huge smile when they hit the first notes. Rush get's it.

They understand despite how long they have been around they are being passed down to a new generation of fans and they always know it could be someones first, second or in my sons case 4th show and there is always tunes they have never heard.

I do wish T4E and Presto got some representation....Power Windows got the treatment last tour and it was awesome. But it would have been cool to hear T4E (title track) and Show Don't Tell again.

But who cares.....the first set jammed. But again....set 2? That was worth the price of admission alone. It is that amazing.

My god July can't get here soon enough. VEGAS BABY!!!!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Here's my alternative r40 set

Carnies

Clockwork Angels

Working them Angels

Animate

Leave that Thing Alone (with drum solo)

Roll the Bones

Bravado

Show don't Tell

Open Secrets

Prime Mover (or) Turn the Page

The Percussor

Emotion Detector

---

Distant Early Warning (or) Red Sector A*

Countdown

Analog Kid (or) Witch Hunt

Red Barchetta

Natural Science (or) The Camera Eye

Jacob's Ladder

Hemispheres Prelude

LA Villa Strangiato

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Encore 1

----------

Lakeside Park

Anthem

Encore 2

----------

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Spirit of Radio

*yes, with acoustic kit

You do understand the concept, right? This can't work with their tour concept. I thought the CA songs were well received and they looked like they had a great time playing them which wasn't the case for every song.

Why exactly can't it work?

They go backwards in time with the music and the stage setup. Having seen the show it would be weird to suddenly move forward in time and it would be a bit silly watching them play yyz with an amp propped up on a chair under a disco ball.

As anyone who is obsessed with set lists will tell you - encores are a law onto themselves.

I haven't seen the production, so my set is purely based on the current set lists. but I'm sure there are a number of ways you could get around that.

There are a lot of rules in the universe - but the rule of following the exact order and formula of a rush tour is not one of them.

If you use your imagination anything is possible.

Kev, you have to check out the show continuously. It is strictly reverse chronology. Strictly, for a reason, and has an awesome effect.

What they are doing, songs, lights, props, and sometimes instruments, everything moves in a specific manner, and the songs are connected and intertwined with each other.

There are plenty of full show vids on you tube, I suggest you watch a full show from up close before disagreeing.

Can anyone recall a band doing a show in this manner? I can't, and was blown away by it.

Think of it this way-

The first set is like a recent show, say either TM or CA tour.

The second set can easily be a replication of the MP tour.

The encore is a replica of them as an opening act or bar band.

This is how they chose to honor their career as a touring band.

It works 100%. I can't recall thinking that on any other tour, any other band. Very few things in life achieve goals with such perfection in this manner.

It honors the fact that Rush is an "era" band. Distinct and separate eras, modern hard rock, synth, pop hard rock, prog, hard rock blues with an ounce of prog. They have distinct styles over the years. There are many reasons that the way they produced R40 is probably the best concept tour of all time that honors an entire career.

Excellent post. What's so hard about this concept??

That y'all are being so anal about it in regards to someone's fantasy setlist? :huh:
  • Like 1

g they've played TS, TSOR and YYZ in the encore hundreds of times. They've never done anything like R40.

AW was pointing out that it wouldn't work with their chronological song and stage production presentation. But hey, k's free to dream that they do it again how it's been done so many tours before.

The rush police

I don't think anyone is trying to give you a hard time but you seem genuinely unhappy that anyone else has an opinion on the subject or is disagreeing with your original post. We're just as entitled to our opinions as you are and no one is "wrong" in a general sense but any setlist that doesn't go backwards in time on this tour won't work. Change the stage concept and I'm sure your setlist is fine.

The reverse chronology, the music, how the lights change for each era, the stage props...the boys hit it out of the park on this tour. There's an urgency and drama and excitement and slight sadness, as in, last tour...of this magn.....Makes up for all that PoW last tour ;)

Sorry. Quite happy with the show the way it is.

I agree. There are, of course, a few songs I would have preferred in the show and a few in the show I could do without (e.g., if I never heard Tom Sawyer live again, I would be fine - but I get why that song has to be in the set), but.... overall.... I was very happy and greatly enjoyed it. They pulled out a few nuggets to make us long timers happy... bringing back The Camera Eye, Jacob's Ladder, and Xanadu, adding in a couple of pieces of 2112, throwing in Lakeside Park and What You're Doing (even if those two aren't favorites I contend they were unique, pleasant surprises).

The reverse chronology, the music, how the lights change for each era, the stage props...the boys hit it out of the park on this tour. There's an urgency and drama and excitement and slight sadness, as in, last tour...of this magn.....Makes up for all that PoW last tour ;)

I agree that this is a compelling setlist and a compelling format.

And in top of all that, it's DEVO!!

I do wish T4E and Presto got some representation....Power Windows got the treatment last tour and it was awesome. But it would have been cool to hear T4E (title track) and Show Don't Tell again.

But who cares.....the first set jammed. But again....set 2? That was worth the price of admission alone. It is that amazing.

Exactly my sentiments!

The rush police

...never sleep.

Do you mean they live inside of my head? Do you mean they talk to me in my bed? Because..... that's creepy.

A confluence of RUSH, Tull and Cheap Trick. Atop Mt. Nerd, the gods are pleased.

The rush police

...never sleep.

Do you mean they live inside of my head? Do you mean they talk to me in my bed? Because..... that's creepy.

A confluence of RUSH, Tull and Cheap Trick. Atop Mt. Nerd, the gods are pleased.

It's all in a Rush fan's night.

• Like 1

Fellas, for ONCE, the band does a setlist for its most loyal, old school fans, yet some still want HITS In the encore? Rush of all bands? For reals?

Closing out the show with lakeside, anthem, WYD, and their first radio hit WM, May be the best encore of any band of all time.

"Hits" played-

Tom Soy

Spirit

Sub d

CTTH

Also Overture, which is the ultimate fan "hit" for Rush.

All the A track radio hits, track 1's, DEW, RTB, Anim, OLV, FC

YYZ rotated in. Red Bar was huge radio hit in early 80s.

Yet that ain't enough "hits"

We are talking Rush after all??

After so many Rush tours where the 70s and prog eras almost completely ignored, they finally give that era it's due respect, we can't even agree this is the proper way for them to salute a brilliant touring career?

Edit-----

And if I read correctly,

Dropping Working Man in favor of Emotion Detector or Countdown?

If there were such a thing as rush police, they'd be on their way and the sirens would be blaring ;)

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Fellas, for ONCE, the band does a setlist for its most loyal, old school fans, yet some still want HITS In the encore? Rush of all bands? For reals?

Closing out the show with lakeside, anthem, WYD, and their first radio hit WM, May be the best encore of any band of all time.

"Hits" played-

Tom Soy

Spirit

Sub d

CTTH

After so many Rush tours where the 70s and prog eras almost completely ignored, they finally give that era it's due respect, we can't even agree this is the proper way for them to salute a brilliant touring career?

Edit-----

And if I read correctly,

If there were such a thing as rush police, they'd be on their way and the sirens would be blaring ;)

They're still playing those "hits" - if I had it my way they would give Tom Sawyer a bit of a rest for a couple of tours - but I'd rather have them there, in my fantasy setlist in my own head, than songs from the first album, which Peart wasn't even on.

Feel free to copy and paste the set, exactly as it is for your own fantasy set. Fifteen minutes to Wapner.

"Hits" played-

Tom Soy

Spirit

Sub d

CTTH

Edit-----

And if I read correctly,

Well they'd be wrong, because working man gets dragged out all the time, and the brilliant emotion detector is still a live virgin.

I prefer my rush with Peart writing the lyrics and drum parts.

You're also assuming that "all" the loyal fans want the 70's stuff

Like I say, I'm perfectly happy with the songs they're doing. Just having a bit of craic, as we say in Ireland.

"Hits" played-

Tom Soy

Spirit

Sub d

CTTH

Edit-----

And if I read correctly,

Well they'd be wrong, because working man gets dragged out all the time, and the brilliant emotion detector is still a live virgin.

I prefer my rush with Peart writing the lyrics and drum parts.

who is that, the new guy?

Seriously, Ged agrees with you as he has said PoW was one of his fave albums. Last tour, except for nine minutes of 2112, the 70s and prog era completely ignored. The last few tours, its only been a couple of 70s tunes per tour.

Hopefully you can agree fans of the first decade of Rush have been patiently waiting for a tour like this for a long time.

What makes the band so interesting, is there are fans of all eras, that see Rush in an entirely different light.