The Real Reason this is the Last Major Tour This is not a joke

madrushian

I have to laugh at the poster who said "they did it for us."

I would love it if that were true.

Somehow, I doubt it. Justin Hayward once said in an interview in the nineties that when they (the Moodies) first became famous and started to make loads of money, they acquired a lifestyle that they quickly became accustomed to. Then, they had to make enough money to maintain that lifestyle.

Somehow I think the same is true for Rush and all bands. It would be wonderful if they thought that much about us though.

Laugh away. It doesn't change the truth of things.

Why people think Rush aren't already multimillionaires is puzzling.

The ONLY reason R40 is happening is because Geddy convinced the other two to do it.

I already know that.

I'm not the one trying to convince myself that fans mean more to them than they do.

LOL. I definitely don't convincing about any realities in the concert business, rest assured.

It usually is Ray, yes.

Not this time.

His money train's ending. He ain't happy about it. :)

Ged is the one who made this tour happen.

No, actually you're wrong.

R40 (just like R30 and TMT) are 100% Ray's idea.

Not this time. :)

But he's (briefly) happy about it.

What he isn't happy about?

Rush retiring afterward.

Somehow, I doubt it. Justin Hayward once said in an interview in the nineties that when they (the Moodies) first became famous and started to make loads of money, they acquired a lifestyle that they quickly became accustomed to. Then, they had to make enough money to maintain that lifestyle.

Somehow I think the same is true for Rush and all bands. It would be wonderful if they thought that much about us though.

The ONLY reason R40 is happening is because Geddy RAY convinced the band to do it.

Fixed that fer ya....

Exactly my thoughts. Moneybags Danniels made it happen.

Its a buisness,

Nobody works for free. At least I don't.

The ONLY reason R40 is happening is because Geddy convinced the other two to do it.

I already know that.

I'm not the one trying to convince myself that fans mean more to them than they do.

LOL. I definitely don't convincing about any realities in the concert business, rest assured.

It usually is Ray, yes.

Not this time.

Rush retiring afterward.

Again, you are wrong.

But if you insist on believing that, fine. You are certainly entitled to be as wrong as you choose to be.

See Lorraine, there is some serious hinting again on this thread.

I am glad Ged convinced them. It is sad, but they have certainly earned it.

I already know that.

It usually is Ray, yes.

Not this time.

Rush retiring afterward.

Again, you are wrong.

But if you insist on believing that, fine. You are certainly entitled to be as wrong as you choose to be.

Right back at ya. :)

Gabriel, what are you talking about? :unsure: Hinting that they know Rush personally?

Yeah, I've heard about Neil's problems, which is no surprise after pounding the crap out of his drum kit for 40+ years. Also, after having experienced the trauma of losing his wife and daughter in the mid-90s, it is again no surprise he wants to spend time with his young daughter.

Didn't realize Geddy had to convince BOTH Alex and Neil to tour, though. I figured R40 was something they had planned for a few years knowing it was a big milestone for the band.

Does Neil actually enjoying playing live at all? What was his attitude for the past couple of tours? Did he have to be convinced to tour Clockwork Angels, for example?

Does Neil actually enjoying playing live at all? What was his attitude for the past couple of tours? Did he have to be convinced to tour Clockwork Angels, for example?

He likes to play with Geddy and Alex. He does not like the time constraints and trappings of touring, hasn't for many many years.

But now, playing is hurting him physically more than ever.

He grits his teeth and soliders through it. He sees the touring as a job, nothing more. This is why he doesn't attend the meet and greets, and why he hops on the tour bus straight from the stage. He has found a way to lessen some of the burden via his motorcycling, obviously.

The creative process, that's something he still enjoys of course.

• Like 1

Gabriel, what are you talking about? :unsure: Hinting that they know Rush personally?

Yes, our friend from above and where I commented to you maybe he is Wolfgang on Saturday? (I think that was in a different thread) He does hint from time to time about knowing things from the inside.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Bard.

It's a shame touring is becoming more of a burden for him in terms of playing in pain, and I can see why he wants to retire after this.

I did actually wonder why he always dashed off after the show ends, although it makes sense with what you said about him seeing touring as a job that needs to be done. Still, I always find it cool he puts a big smile on his face and bows behind his kit before he runs off :)

Did he always bike between gigs or is this only a thing he's done since the band's return in 2002?

Thanks for the info, Bard.

It's a shame touring is becoming more of a burden for him in terms of playing in pain, and I can see why he wants to retire after this.

I did actually wonder why he always dashed off after the show ends, although it makes sense with what you said about him seeing touring as a job that needs to be done. Still, I always find it cool he puts a big smile on his face and bows behind his kit before he runs off :)

Did he always bike between gigs or is this only a thing he's done since the band's return in 2002?

He puts a big smile on his face because he is glad the show is over. :LOL:

I don't think it's news for anyone hereabouts to know that Neil's an intensely private guy and the 'fan' part of the fame and fortune and glory is something he tends to downplay for fairly obvious reasons.

But it's not like he's a total recluse. People recognize him and he's usually cordial (though like any other celebs, he frowns upon interrupting his dinner). He still sends out a couple pairs of sticks each show to fans in the first few rows as the mood strikes him. He signs the stuff send to the venues if it gets to him.

In the end, the touring part is his job, it's the moneymaker, he knows that.

It's the creative side that's his passion. Jamming with Geddy and Alex, writing...that's where he lives. After his family side, of course.

I don't think it's news for anyone hereabouts to know that Neil's an intensely private guy and the 'fan' part of the fame and fortune and glory is something he tends to downplay for fairly obvious reasons.

But it's not like he's a total recluse. People recognize him and he's usually cordial (though like any other celebs, he frowns upon interrupting his dinner). He still sends out a couple pairs of sticks each show to fans in the first few rows as the mood strikes him. He signs the stuff send to the venues if it gets to him.

In the end, the touring part is his job, it's the moneymaker, he knows that.

It's the creative side that's his passion. Jamming with Geddy and Alex, writing...that's where he lives. After his family side, of course.

Now you are back on the right track. I was getting worried about you for a minute.

He puts a big smile on his face because he is glad the show is over. :LOL:

Haha, yeah, you are probably right! Still, it's nice to see he DOES smile. A bit like Tony Banks in Genesis; he can put on a smile when he wants :D

As to what Bard said, yeah, I'm familiar with him being a very private person and the fact he does not get involved with meet and greets isn't surprising in the least. I guess Geddy (and to a lesser extent, Alex) is the 'face' of Rush for the public.

Neil probably would have quit years ago if he hadn't felt like he owed something to the other two guys.
  • Like 2

Neil probably would have quit years ago if he hadn't felt like he owed something to the other two guys.

Well no one forced him to come back. He's the one that called Alex and asked if they still needed a drummer. Or something like that.

This isn't us punks sitting around playing a few songs with our buddies over beers, this is a tour, practicing and more practicing, then playing three hours per night, every other night. Oh, at age 61+, forgot about the old mother effer part :) I wanted to slap a few people for whining about Alex and Neil missing a few notes here and there and not being "on top of their game" 60 years old, limbs and phalanges just not as nimble and strong as they were even five years ago.

Meanwhile Geddy's playing is on freaking point. :D

• Like 2

Neil even admitted he has a lifestyle he likes to maintain and it's apparent geddy lives rather well. To think they do this for us is childish. Bahahaha. I just saw the Moody's again and they do love their audience and ham it up like no one's business and encourage you to participate, but this is their job, just like it is for any rock star. Carl Palmer is famous for saying he's never worked a day in his life, but certainly he's not drumming for his fans, not with his inflated ego :) and I am a huge fan. Greg Lake was just on tour to promote a book and share his favorite songs with his audience and he presented everything as being fan centered, which was all great, but it was still bottom line to make money. No one does this for altruistic reasons and just for us shitbirds.

This isn't us punks sitting around playing a few songs with our buddies over beers, this is a tour, practicing and more practicing, then playing three hours per night, every other night. Oh, at age 61+, forgot about the old mother effer part :) I wanted to slap a few people for whining about Alex and Neil missing a few notes here and there and not being "on top of their game" 60 years old, limbs and phalanges just not as nimble and strong as they were even five years ago.

Different instruments, different body styles and way fewer bar fights :)

Different instruments, different body styles and way fewer bar fights :)

Not the way Geddy plays it... he just practices more than Al... and only one fewer. ;)

• Like 1

Read this:

http://rushmessageboard.com/index.php?/topic/3312-interview-in-classic-rock-magazine/?p=96487

Classic Rock interview with Lee and Lifeson posted by Pete over at CP Forum.

Hot off the press and many questions answered. Kind of.

Hence my earlier comment about Neil probably hanging it up long ago. I just now read where Geddy seems pretty embarrassed at singing Xanadu.