Geddy's voice on this tour??

nicky6

How would you guys rate his voice between S&A and R-40?

I thought he sounded excellent on S&A.

i think the snakes tour was Ged's last solid tour vocally.

Mick

I saw your name and a Geds voice thread together and had to come running... :LOL:

He's killing it on bass. He's singing the old stuff everybody's been clamoring for. He's doing great. I'm not watching to hear him nail 25 year old Geddy. I'm watching him to play and BE Geddy. They look like they're having a ball too. Awesome to see them spanning the whole career.
  • Like 7

How would you guys rate his voice between S&A and R-40?

I thought he sounded excellent on S&A.

i think the snakes tour was Ged's last solid tour vocally.

Mick

I saw your name and a Geds voice thread together and had to come running... :LOL:

Well since you Asked.

Ged wasn't yodeling yet and i wasn't drinking wine yet just to get through one DVD

Lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

He sounded great opening nite, seemed to struggle in St Paul, but voice seemed stronger tonite in St Louis.

I agree he sounded pretty good at the St. Louis show. Being a singer myself, for Geddy being 61 I wish I will be able to pull off what he is doing.

• Like 1

I think he's definitely sounding better than he did on most of the CA tour. I'm surprised they're even attempting a lot of these songs. I have to give it to him. He's giving all he's got.

That's why I genuinely hate to say anything about his singing although that doesn't stop me from doing it. He is giving us all he has left to give vocally. We can take it or leave it. If he could do better, he would.

• Like 2

He's killing it on bass. He's singing the old stuff everybody's been clamoring for. He's doing great. I'm not watching to hear him nail 25 year old Geddy. I'm watching him to play and BE Geddy.

Well said! That really sums it up for me.

• Like 1

Most anyone's vocals are going to be hit and miss at 60+ years old, especially when singing multiple range high intensity rock-n-roll. With that said, he still can nail some of the older stuff. The vocals are really only 1/7 of the total package...

Percussion, lead guitar, bass guitar, keys, lyrics, vocals and visual production.

We are so used to such a high level of musicianship for such a long time...every one of Neil's fills and Alex's solos are being scrutinized just as much as Geddy's vocals.

I believe Rush is doing quite well in all categories including the hardest one...vocals.

• Like 4

It kind of irks me (hi Mick!!) that people dont get that he was sick on the TM date so his vox are jacked. He sounded good the rest of the way. CA he was clearly struggling on the second sets of a lot of the shows. Thats why they jam on most of the second set. Or at least its not as vox heavy.

Most anyone's vocals are going to be hit and miss at 60+ years old, especially when singing multiple range high intensity rock-n-roll. With that said, he still can nail some of the older stuff. The vocals are really only 1/7 of the total package...

Percussion, lead guitar, bass guitar, keys, lyrics, vocals and visual production.

We are so used to such a high level of musicianship for such a long time...every one of Neil's fills and Alex's solos are being scrutinized just as much as Geddy's vocals.

I believe Rush is doing quite well in all categories including the hardest one...vocals.

Also its Geddy. He does so much on stage vox are only 1/3 really of he total package. If he was JUST singing one could say yeah he sounds like crap. Hes been doing this for a long damn time. I keep forgetting how long exactly but a long damn time!!!!

It kind of irks me (hi Mick!!) that people dont get that he was sick on the TM date so his vox are jacked. He sounded good the rest of the way. CA he was clearly struggling on the second sets of a lot of the shows. Thats why they jam on most of the second set. Or at least its not as vox heavy.

his voice was no prize on the TM show i saw either.......but in a live setting no one cares so, lol.

but looking back......it was ok.....i geuss..

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

He's killing it on bass. He's singing the old stuff everybody's been clamoring for. He's doing great. I'm not watching to hear him nail 25 year old Geddy. I'm watching him to play and BE Geddy. They look like they're having a ball too. Awesome to see them spanning the whole career.

The fact that they are giving us this setlist is so incredible...any vocal note that is remotely close is a bonus.
  • Like 6

He's killing it on bass. He's singing the old stuff everybody's been clamoring for. He's doing great. I'm not watching to hear him nail 25 year old Geddy. I'm watching him to play and BE Geddy.

Yep!

Yep!

He's doing what he can to give a good show and give us what we want. Just the fact that he's attempting these things is amazing in itself.

• Like 1

Overall, his voice sounds much better than the previous two tours. One thing I am noticing is he's losing some control in places. He can hit the notes; just not very cleanly at times.

#nitpicking

The longer the tour drags on, the more like Peter Brady singing through puberty he'll sound like. It's just a fact of getting old for him, but it is what it is. It's hard to yell when your voice is going as you age and he's a soft voiced guy as it is.

• Like 2

Overall, his voice sounds much better than the previous two tours. One thing I am noticing is he's losing some control in places. He can hit the notes; just not very cleanly at times.

#nitpicking

The longer the tour drags on, the more like Peter Brady singing through puberty he'll sound like. It's just a fact of getting old for him, but it is what it is. It's hard to yell when your voice is going as you age and he's a soft voiced guy as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKEQm10-n84

Get DOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyTZlJnRns

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Come on folks, it's all about his bass playing at this point. If he can bring the vocals at times that's a bonus. If you're old like me you can remember when he sounded just like the studio. Ged has never had the warmest or most pleasing sound to his voice, but his was as strong and as pitch perfect as you could ever imagine. The fact that he's still able to sing any of the old stuff at all is a testament to his commitment and professionalism.

Let's not blame Ged now for being prodigious and ambitious in his youth.

• Like 1

Come on folks, it's all about his bass playing at this point. If he can bring the vocals at times that's a bonus. If you're old like me you can remember when he sounded just like the studio. Ged has never had the warmest or most pleasing sound to his voice, but his was as strong and as pitch perfect as you could ever imagine. The fact that he's still able to sing any of the old stuff at all is a testament to his commitment and professionalism.

Let's not blame Ged now for being prodigious and ambitious in his youth.

Oh no, if you read my posts I've explained all of that in detail. Geddy is geddy and it's always been what it's been. The problem really lies with the fanatics who are afraid to sound the tiniest bit critical or are so full of Kool aid they cannot be objective. Geddy never was Josh Grobin or even Greg Lake(whose voice turned smoky rich and deep in his dotage). Geddy is what he is and I still appreciate the hell out of him for giving it his all every tour, even though sometimes he can sound like Chinese Opera ;)
  • Like 2

his voice was no prize on the TM show i saw either.......but in a live setting no one cares so, lol.

but looking back......it was ok.....i geuss..

Mick

Well....sheeeeeeeeeeeeooooooot. Cant win em all!!

The problem really lies with the fanatics who are afraid to sound the tiniest bit critical or are so full of Kool aid they cannot be objective.

"Problem"?

The problem really lies with the fanatics who are afraid to sound the tiniest bit critical or are so full of Kool aid they cannot be objective.

"Problem"?

I think some people have an unhealthy obsession with the band. Not being able to be objective or intellectually honest is a problem in my world.

"Problem"?

I think some people have an unhealthy obsession with the band. Not being able to be objective or intellectually honest is a problem in my world.

the fans that declared Snakes and Arrows "THE BESTEST RUSH ALBUM SINCE MOVING PICTURES!!! OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST MUSIC IVE EVER HEARD!!!" when it first came out come to mind :facepalm: :laughing guy:

• Like 1

"Problem"?

the fans that declared Snakes and Arrows "THE BESTEST RUSH ALBUM SINCE MOVING PICTURES!!! OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST MUSIC IVE EVER HEARD!!!" when it first came out come to mind :facepalm: :laughing guy:

Those folks do exist?... :huh: I have never met one but I have no Rush friends except for here...
  • Like 3

"Problem"?

Those folks do exist?... :huh: I have never met one but I have no Rush friends except for here...

I've heard it more with CA than I ever did with S&A. That's even scarier.