The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Lol its been a busy day...and all I've played is springsteen...and that always goea down well around these parts...NOT

Yeah. Keep it under your hat, and whatever you do, don't go in the R40 subforum and announce it ... unless you want your head handed to you. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :hug2:

• Like 1

If Rush had made Tulsa the only show. it would go down as one of the best 1 shot shows in music history.

still love that bootleg it's magic still is there.

Mick

So far, all I have heard from it is Xanadu.

i still think set 2 on that night had an amazing aura around it that the next 2 didn't replicate.

Granted it's still early.

Mick

• Like 1

If Rush had made Tulsa the only show. it would go down as one of the best 1 shot shows in music history.

still love that bootleg it's magic still is there.

Mick

So far, all I have heard from it is Xanadu.

I've not heard anything yet, and I think I may keep it that way until June 8th. Curiosity may get the better of me before then, but...que sera sera, you know?

:)

Yes at their peak were better than Led Zeppelin, at theirs.

Totally different bands, I know, but I was listening to a Zeppelin performance from 1972 the other day, and put on Yes from the same year, right after it...and I just think Yes was a better band.

This is a bold statement from me, because I absolutely adored Zeppelin...big part of the soundtrack of my adolescence, they were. And I've only been a big fan of Yes for about a year. But yes, Yes is better.

Discuss, jeer, throw rotten fruit, whatever...

• Like 1

Iron Maiden, Rush and Judas Priest at each of their peaks were equal.

No doubt at all in my mind about this!

Iron Maiden, Rush and Judas Priest at each of their peaks were equal.

No doubt at all in my mind about this!

Hmmm...I can compare Maiden and Priest to each other more readily than I can compare Rush to either one of them- and not because Maiden and Priest have always been firmly ensconced in heavy metal land, while Rush has not- but because they are both five-piece bands, while Rush is only three. It's a totally different dynamic, to my ears. All outstanding bands, to be sure. But I have to say that Rush is the most impressive of all of them, to my ears.

• Like 1

I love George Winston.

Anyone else here?

I used to have all of his cassettes in the eighties and must look into getting his CDs.

I don't know a lot of his albums, but the one I know the best is December.

Beautiful piano music, absolutely. Do you know if he's still recording, or performing?

Edited by Blue J

I love George Winston.

Anyone else here?

I used to have all of his cassettes in the eighties and must look into getting his CDs.

I don't know a lot of his albums, but the one I know the best is December.

Beautiful piano music, absolutely. Do you know if he's still recording, or performing?

He was out here a few years ago and I would have loved to have gone to see him.

I think my favorite album, and the one I heard first, was Autumn. I haven't heard him since the eighties, and I don't even remember how any of the music went, but I know that I loved him back then.

I love the piano. Always loved the late Nicky Hopkins too.

• Like 1

Thomas Dolby Doesn't get near enough credit as an artist forget the awful She Blinded me with Science. Guy writs damn good pop albums.

He's only released 5 but

The golden Age of Wireless

The Flat Earth

Astronauts and Heretics

A Map of the Floating City.

All great efforts.

Mick

My views of Bruce Springsteen's studio albums, in chronological order (I cannot rank his work, too much of it is godly):

1973: Greetings From Asbury Parl, N.J.

• Rating: 10/10
  • Best Song: Spirit In The Night/Blinded By The Light
  • Notes: Rambling lyrical wordplay, often verging on nonsensical, this is a bold, brilliant and highly addictive debut. Bob Dylan is an obvious influence, but I also hear a lot of Van Morrison here as well.

1973: The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle

• Best Song: New York City Serenade
  • Notes: Jazzier than the debut, this album feels a lot more playful, and musically at times this sounds like a terrific bar band. Not a flaw, I think this could be my favourite.

1975: Born To Run

• Best Song: Meeting Across The River/Jungleland
  • Notes: This is a flawless album, highly polished in comparison to his first two, Bruce wrote a collection of instant, and timeless classics. The album cover is iconic, and perfectly reflects the polish and the grit that has made this both approachable, and representative, of his entire body of work. When I play this album, I swear it is his best album ever. But in the context of his entire discography, this is just another perfect album in a streak of perfect releases.

1978: Darkness On The Edge Of Town

• Best Song: Factory/Adam Raised A Cain
  • Notes: Dark, hopeful and heavy, Darkness is very much a change of pace from what had come before. All the dreams of his characters in Born To Run have been shattered, and face now a reality of sadness, painted in greys and browns. Masterpiece, and quite rightly viewed by many as a better album than Born To Run.

1980: The River

• Rating: 9.5/10
  • Best Song: Drive All Night
  • Notes: A sprawling double album, the first half misleadingly starts off with a streak of party rockers, sporadically interspersed with darker edged moments such as the underrated classic Independence Day or the much loved title track. This first half is for fans of Springsteen's more commercial side, and in spite of all the quality tunes on display, in comparison to the second half of this release, it can feel a little throwaway. The second half is, however, one of the best disc's in the entire catalogue of Springsteen albums. Slower, darker numbers such as Point Bland, Wreck On The Highway, Price You Pay and one of my all time favourite songs Drive All Night make this a truly moving experience. Even the lighter moments feel edgier in comparison, with the crowd pleasing rockers Cadillac and Ramrod offering an energetic relief from all the grit and drama of the more ambitious tracks. The River is close to perfection, let down only very slightly by a few songs on the first half that pale in comparison to the best of his "poppy tunes". And to think I lasted a whole summary of this album without mentioning his first major hit single Hungry Heart! Oh, wait...D'OH!

1982: Nebraska

• Rating: 7.5/10
  • Best Song: Atlantic City/State Trooper
  • Notes: Many cite this as being the best of all his albums. True, those that do not enjoy his big band efforts will find much to enjoy in this beautiful, atmospheric and truly inspired acoustic release, recorded in his bedroom. But I find it to be a challenging listen, for all the right reasons, but also not as enjoyable as my favourite Springsteen albums because of them. The second half of The River tackled similar subjects in a more accessible and often more affecting way. Nebraska is not at all a bad, or even average album. It is another masterpiece, but I would be lying if I said it was another album that hardly ever has time to gather dust in my collection.

1984: Born In The USA

• Rating: 8//10
  • Best Song: Cover Me/No Surrender
  • Notes: The Boss' biggest selling album, I also have to say I find this album too polished at times for my tastes, with some rather aging synth work going on and a really annoying smash hit in the form of the title track. Sorry, but the acoustic version written during the Nebraska sessions stays true to both the lyrics and the anger behind the song. Listening to the song as it is on this album, it is easy to hear why so many people mistook it for a patriotic celebration of all things USA. Great pop album, but not a flawless one.

1987: Tunnel Of Love

• Rating: 8.5/10
  • Best Song: Brilliant Disguise/Tougher Than The Rest
  • Notes: So he just got married and already he was writing lyrics dealing with marital woes. Great. No, really, THIS IS GREAT! But of all his albums, this one has sadly aged the most. Production wise, this is very much an eighties release, and without the E Street Band, this album feels a little tired. But considering the nature of the lyrics and themes explored, this isn't entirely to the detriment of this release. Underrated, and not far off his very best work.

1992: Human Touch

• Rating: 8/10
  • Best Song: Human Touch/Man's Job
  • Notes: O wow, to enjoy both this album and its companion release Lucky Town is almost taboo! Both rank low amongst the lists of many fans and critics, but I truly love them! Lighter than his E Street releases such as Born To Run or The River, and lacking the often grating bombast of Born In The USA, Human Touch deals with some surprisingly carefree topics, and does so in a very stripped back (by his standards) fashion. His vocals are also a highlight, sounding at times relaxed, and joyful. Human Touch might not be a very popular album, but it is one of my personal favourites.

1992: Lucky Town

• Rating: 9/10
  • Best Song: If I Should Fall Behind
  • Notes: I LOVE THIS ALBUM! Just as Human Touch gets a lot of flack for not giving fans the usual high gloss fantasy his music provides, so does Lucky Town. But this album is chock full of great songs. Experimental? No. But at this point in Springsteen's career, it is obvious that he is not the kind of artist that wishes to push musical boundaries. What he does best is write songs, and tell stories. And everything about this album is top notch! And there is a little bit of experimenting going on: The Big Muddy. A strange song, hard to describe. But I love it.

1995: The Ghost Of Tom Joad

• Rating: 9/10
  • Best Song: Youngstown/Dry Lightning
  • Notes: It is true: I love this album, and hold it in higher regard than Nebraska. I have heard many fans refer to his nineties work as a time in which he lost his way. I disagree: he knew what he wanted to do, and he did it. Some fans left, others stayed, and a few even look back on those albums today and wonder what all the negative talk was about! This stripped back, folky collection of songs has terrific flow, wonderful songwriting and is a great lights out record. One of his best albums, and sadly overlooked by many fans. This is rewarding stuff.

2002: The Rising

• Best Songs: Into The Fire/The Fuse/My City Of Ruins
  • Notes: Words fail me with this album. He returned with the E Street Band for the first time since 1984, and chose to focus his songwriting on the tragic events of 9/11. What is even more affecting when one considers this release is not only that he tried to give encouragement to those who loved and lost in the tragedy, but also that he actually succeeded! His best work since The River, and perhaps even superior to the likes of Born To Run, this works terrifically as a double bill with Darkness. Flawless, one of my favourite albums of all time.

2005: Devil's And Dust

• Rating: 2/10
  • Best Song: Devil's And Dust
  • Notes: I hate to say this, but I hate this album. It is a collection of new tracks and a few revived oldies that almost never saw the light of day, and as a collection it comes across as both self-indulgent and depressing. Sure, like all his works this one undoubtedly has its fans, but I am not one of them and I cannot see this ever changing.

2006: We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

• Rating: 6/10
  • Best Song: Old Dan Tucker
  • Notes: I cannot say I am a big fan of this release, but Springsteen obviously loves this style of music, and it would be foolish to deny that Seeger was a big influence of my musical hero. But I never play this, and it isn't all that surprising to me that it didn't do very well upon its release, or that his accompanying tour fared less well than anticipated for a Springsteen affair. Some fans surely dig this one, but I almost left it off this list because, in all honesty, this barely qualifies as a true Springsteen album. A nice experiment, it is just a shame it leaves me cold.

2007: Magic

• Rating: 8/10 (10/10 if I overlook the terrible production)
  • Best Song: Last To Die/Long Walk Home/Radio Nowhere
  • Notes: Production aside, this is a flawless and almost peerless collection of Springsteen songs, and without any doubt in my mind a better album than even The Rising (by a hair). But the production, overseen by the normally reliable Brendan O'Brien, is unforgivably dense, and can make listening to this album a real challenge. Yet, in spite of all this, the quality shines through, and this is a top five Springsteen effort for me! I just love it. A LOT. But there is no denying the hurt caused by the sound quality, and for this reason only it doesn't truly deserve the top score. In my heart it does, but in reality, it is a damaged masterwork.

2009: Working On A Dream

• Rating: 5/10
  • Best Song: Outlaw Pete
  • Notes: Odds and ends collected from the Magic recording sessions, this has better production, but lesser songs. Little here inspires repeat plays, as none of this is especially rewarding. Outlaw Pete has a cheesiness to accompany playful songwriting, and it does not surprise me at all to note that the character of Outlaw Pete was turned into the protagonist of a short illustrated storybook last year. Good album, but far from great.

2010: The Promise

• Best Song; Someday (We'll Be Together)/The Promise/ The Way (Hidden Track)
  • Notes: Some fans may argue that to include this release on a list of studio albums, but to omit the heavenly treasure trove of loose odds and ends that is the box set Tracks is a travesty. But that box set works best as a collection of rarities, unreleased songs and demos. In other words, as a compilation, and not a studio album proper. However, The Promise, which collects together for the first time a lot of the rejected material (but not all of it) from the Darkness recording sessions, has been compiled and and treated by many as a new seventies release, only released thirty years to late! And, of course, this works better as an independent release because all the songs were written within the same time frame. Every song is a gem, from the upbeat alternate version of Racing In The Street to the beautiful and haunting likes of the title track and The Way. It is actually hard to understand why he didn't choose to release these songs as a follow up to Darkness way back when said album revived his career, because the majority of The River, as great as that album is, pales in comparison to the bulk of this album. Someday (We'll Be Together) is one of those slushy love ballads that would reek of saccharine in anybody else's hands. But performed by The Boss himself, it is a delicate, and calmly rousing ballad of great charm, depth and grace. One of my favourite Springsteen songs, it is my highlight of this release. How I wish it had been served better, it could have been a massive hit single! I am not going to argue whether any of these songs could have bettered Darkness, because truthfully, none of these could have. Darkness was compiled from the sessions with a singular vision, and it is perfect. But with this release, it is evident that even if he had followed up BTR with an upbeat crowd pleaser, he the talent to succeed no matter what.

2012: Wrecking Ball

• Rating: 6/10
  • Best Song: This Depression/We Are Alive
  • Notes: I want to love this album, it is full of great tunes, beautiful lyrics, terrific musicianship and stellar songs. But I just cannot say I enjoy the politics. Too much of it, and the media frenzy surrounding this album was so strong, I remember playing it the first time wondering if by any chance I had received the wrong disc. It has greatness, but it isn't one of his better albums.

2012: High Hopes

• Rating: 3/10
  • Best Song: The Ghost Of Tom Joad
  • Notes: Tom Morello is terrific. After the sad loss of Clarence Clemons, Morello helps life to this album, and he plays terrifically, adding a spark and flame to an otherwise patchy collection of odd covers and unreleased material from earlier album sessions. The best song here is an electric cover of The Ghost Of Tom Joad, formerly a stripped back folk song from the album of the same name in 1995.It is stellar. Sadly, I cannot say any other aspect of this album pleases me, and his ongoing use of throwing the odd cuss word into his lyrics strikes me as a sign that he is desperate to seem relevant.

• Like 1

Well done, Segue.

I don't own any Springsteen albums, but I like him okay. Your reviews seem to be virtually devoid of bias. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

Well done, Segue.

I don't own any Springsteen albums, but I like him okay. Your reviews seem to be virtually devoid of bias. Excellent stuff.

I love his work, but in all honesty the last fifteen years have seen some dreadful output released!

Thanks! I tried not to be biased, which is hard when I love the albums most Springsteen fanboys HATE.

Bruce sprinsteen.

hmmmmmmmm

Segue will disagree but the ONLY Bruce i need is as follows.

1. Greetings from Asbury Park

2. The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

3. Born to run

4. Darkness on the Edge of Town

All i ever and will ever need before he becomes repetive.

Mick

• Like 1

Bruce sprinsteen.

hmmmmmmmm

Segue will disagree but the ONLY Bruce i need is as follows.

1. Greetings from Asbury Park

2. The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle

3. Born to run

4. Darkness on the Edge of Town

All i ever and will ever need before he becomes repetive.

Mick

Its OK dude...he isn't for everybody!

• Like 1

Segue, can he still sing the way he used to?

ERM...I will be blunt...like Paul McCartney, I don't think so...when they sang together and the electricity went off, the London council blamed it on them running over time. I personally think it is because the audience's ears were bleeding so much they were at risk of drowning.

I love the man, but his three hour gigs do not intrigue me, and he shouts everything so he is hoarse two songs in.

ERM...I will be blunt...like Paul McCartney, I don't think so...when they sang together and the electricity went off, the London council blamed it on them running over time. I personally think it is because the audience's ears were bleeding so much they were at risk of drowning.

I love the man, but his three hour gigs do not intrigue me, and he shouts everything so he is hoarse two songs in.

funny you say shouts......cause i figured that's Ged's thing too. Who also shout more then sings now.

Mick

• Like 1

funny you say shouts......cause i figured that's Ged's thing too. Who also shout more then sings now.

Mick

Well, poor Ged has to battle singing songs that used to be in his range.

Bruce is tackling songs that remain within his range, but he lets excitement get in the way. And it lasts three hours.

Poor Ged...I love the man, and I am warming to his voice because I can hear the effort he puts in. Bruce just...look I love the man but no way do I beieve everything he does or can do is top notch.

• Like 1

I keep asking that question "can he/she still sing" because it seems to me that no matter who you are, or how much training they had or didn't have, sooner or later, the voice goes - some worse than others - but it goes.

It took hours this morning to figure out why our dial up wasn't working, and it didn't help matters that the most computer ignorant person in the world (me) was actually attempting to fix something she hadn't the foggiest idea about. I had to take the dial up modem out and it took almost an hour to get it back in. don't ask me why because I have no idea what I was doing wrong.

anyway, I listened to Geddy sing a certain song (not allowed to mention any of that outside of the R40 subforum) while I was contemplating my dilemma and a day without the internet looming before me, and tried to figure out what he can't do anymore. He tries to make it as easy as possible on himself to sing - some of it seems to be singing/talking lyrics. It's sad really.

No matter what i have said about ged's voice. He's my fav bass player. and he TRIES. so even when he yodels i want to hug him. and just say thanks for caring enough to even try

Mick

• Like 2

No matter what i have said about ged's voice. He's my fav bass player. and he TRIES. so even when he yodels i want to hug him. and just say thanks for caring enough to even try

Mick

What he's saying without saying anything is: this is the best I can do - take it or leave it - if I could do it better I would.

• Like 2

Mick

What he's saying without saying anything is: this is the best I can do - take it or leave it - if I could do it better I would.

Exactly. I may not enjoy it, but I would never begrudge anyone who still does.

Lol. Yeah thats one of he things I apreciate about him. I mean he likes Bon Jovi. I guess if you werent around in the 80's you would have no reason to despise him:)

Actually, I liked Bon Jovi back in the 80s. I was only a kid then so I guess it made sense that I like them. They were one of my favorites for a bit there along with Def Leppard. I still like Def Leppard now and will still listen to them on occasion but I think Bon Jovi really feel off a cliff after Keep The Faith and the decent never stopped except for Bounce which I thought was a solid album. That only stalled their fall momentarily though. Honestly, if I was just hanging out somewhere and somebody decided to play Slippery When Wet or New Jersey, I wouldn't complain at all. Those are two huge childhood favorites of mine.

• Like 1