The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Sorry its been quiet from me today, been very busy!

me too. Going through stuff for a yard sale tomorrow. hopefully when it's over we can raise hell again, lol

Mick

Make sure you mix in a yodeling video or something now and then. They always tickle me. Some commentary wouldn't hurt either... :)
  • Like 1

Maybe Segue is taking a nap or cooking or baking cupcakes.

or just busy with his band hopping, lol

He has a style of music listening i could never do.

i'm like this 1 band.......adsorb their work.

He's like new band......new band........new band.........

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

I used to do that when I was younger. Every few weeks I would hop around from one band to the next. It was just a period of time where I knew there was a lot of great music out there and if I didn't keep moving from one band to the next, I felt like i was missing something I needed to hear. Even today i'll marathon listen to a bands stuff for a few weeks and then go to the next one. But now it's more about just rediscovering the discographies of bands i've liked for years. I think I get where Segue is coming from here.

That is me exactly, only I am in the middle of discovering entire decades worth of bands that created music that I had no idea existed whilst growing up, and they fill a void I never knew I had. I binge listen to bands, and of all the bands I rave about, believe me, their are a LOT that don't get mentioned because they did zilch for me. I just highlight the ones I enjoyed!

Plus, I have been rediscovering bands I already loved. Nightwish, Paradise Lost, HIM, Evanescence...bands of my youth that I grew out of, I finally grew back into!

I think it's a lot easier today to discover new bands since we can download a full albums/discographies or go check something out on youtube for free. When I was in middle school/high school that wasn't around yet. I would use the money I got from my paper route, allowance, partime job to go to the record store and buy albums. The process of listening to a bands whole catalog took a little bit longer before the internet came along and made it so simple.

Look at me, I turn 37 in a couple months and i'm already starting with the whole "well, back in my day" talk.

• Like 1

me too. Going through stuff for a yard sale tomorrow. hopefully when it's over we can raise hell again, lol

Mick

Make sure you mix in a yodeling video or something now and then. They always tickle me. Some commentary wouldn't hurt either... :)

i'm doing like album reviews too. 1 daiily. my itunes is picking an album at random, lol. so you can hope it picks VT or CA. Which are fair game. i will do again and yell.....erm critique.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Mick

i'm doing like album reviews too. 1 daiily. my itunes is picking an album at random, lol. so you can hope it picks VT or CA. Which are fair game. i will do again and yell.....erm critique.

Mick

I trained in music journalism, and the wonderful thing about it is that I learned the best way a critic can critique something is to mix personal opinion with established fact. So if I lack love for something, like, say, Creed, the most interesting way to express that view is not to attack that band, but to establish what it is that appeals to many, and then explain why I hate the dirty scum (as I do Creed, but the positive things I can say are this: Alter Bridge is completely different and they are three quarters the same band...funny how that happened but it took me a long time to connect the two bands as I never realised they were so closely entwined, as to me, aside from the odd moment on the first two albums, they are very far removed from each other musically. So for all the faults I find in Creed, the something special millions saw in them finally became eveident to many naysayers by the removal of one key memeber, and the arrival of not only fresh blood, but musical chemistry, the sort that not even the members of the band themselves could have possibly expected would evolve).

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/028/MI0002028081.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

People who hate Bon Jovi make me sick.

They are fun. They rock. They roll. They pop. They are shiny. They are...pure, unadulterated fantasy.

Some might say they are heartless, that their music has no soul, that they are shallow, empty, formulaic. But that simply is not true. This music has heart, it has soul, it is the result of dreams, of fantasy. Art? Posssibly not. But insincere? No. This is sincere.

Many music fans grew up with rock n roll dreams, idolising the great output of phenomenal bands: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd: bands that had much to give, a lot to say, but more often than not, just great vibes to share, combined with an all intoxicating aura of great minds playing music, and writing history. They do not tell tales of the dream: they are the dream fulfilled, everything we want as listeners to be, but which the creators of the music merely "are". They don't try to live the dream, they are the dream. And they are everything the majority of us can never become: we can observe, but what we can never do is become the equal.

Or so we thought...

Bon Jovi wanted the dream, and almost became the dream. But Slippery When Wet, however, is is not the work of an auteur. Bon Jovi, both the man and his band, are the pretenders, the storytellers rather than the fantasy. And yet this is what makes them great: they had the dream, they worked for the dream, they fulfilled their dream, and like all great fairytales, they inherited a happy ending that they were never born to achieve.

And how do they succeed? By pouring their heart and soul into preaching the fantasy, that infectious, hopeful antidote to the dour, mundane alternative we know as reality. And not only did they spin great yarns, they sang like they believed it, and the audience lapped it up.

Every song on this album is a product of artifice. Think of it as the musical equivalent of a summer blockbuster. Sure, it may not break boundaries, it may not deserve awards for great achievements, it may not even be particularly good.

But it offers joy, light, colour, and ultimately, hope. Is it real? No. But the dream is real, and it is in this light that one must observe the reality that in this particular case, the dream came true.

And if it happened for them, then it could happen for us.

This is why Bon Jovi are great.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/028/MI0002028081.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

They are fun. They rock. They roll. They pop. They are shiny. They are...pure, unadulterated fantasy.

Some might say they are heartless, that their music has no soul, that they are shallow, empty, formulaic. But that simply is not true. This music has heart, it has soul, it is the result of dreams, of fantasy. Art? Posssibly not. But insincere? No. This is sincere.

Many music fans grew up with rock n roll dreams, idolising the great output of phenomenal bands: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd: bands that had much to give, a lot to say, but more often than not, just great vibes to share, combined with an all intoxicating aura of great minds playing music, and writing history. They do not tell tales of the dream: they are the dream fulfilled, everything we want as listeners to be, but which the creators of the music merely "are". They don't try to live the dream, they are the dream. And they are everything the majority of us can never become: we can observe, but what we can never do is become the equal.

Or so we thought...

Bon Jovi wanted the dream, and almost became the dream. But Slippery When Wet, however, is is not the work of an auteur. Bon Jovi, both the man and his band, are the pretenders, the storytellers rather than the fantasy. And yet this is what makes them great: they had the dream, they worked for the dream, they fulfilled their dream, and like all great fairytales, they inherited a happy ending that they were never born to achieve.

And how do they succeed? By pouring their heart and soul into preaching the fantasy, that infectious, hopeful antidote to the dour, mundane alternative we know as reality. And not only did they spin great yarns, they sang like they believed it, and the audience lapped it up.

Every song on this album is a product of artifice. Think of it as the musical equivalent of a summer blockbuster. Sure, it may not break boundaries, it may not deserve awards for great achievements, it may not even be particularly good.

But it offers joy, light, colour, and ultimately, hope. Is it real? No. But the dream is real, and it is in this light that one must observe the reality that in this particular case, the dream came true.

Respect Segue. Great review. i mean it.

Mick

• Like 1

Over to the wishing well Gopher...

Or so we thought...

Respect Segue. Great review. i mean it.

Mick

Aww thanks!

I really have wanted to state for ages what this band mean to me...

• Like 1

I just did a random itunes pick for an album review tomorow annnnd...............

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/bluefox4000/the_band_shadow_gimp.jpg

My itunes is pickin' the classics dudes, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I just did a random itunes pick for an album review tomorow annnnd...............

Mick

I keep seeing this in my local record store...will pick it up as it is very cheap.

• Like 1

Mick

I keep seeing this in my local record store...will pick it up as it is very cheap.

tis a gem.

well you'll read about it tomorrow, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

tis a gem.

Mick

OKAY! I must admit I am shattered...but I will spy on this thread tomorrow! :sundog:

Mick

tis a gem.

Mick

OKAY! I must admit I am shattered...but I will spy on this thread tomorrow! :sundog:

Writting a whole review is taxing on me so i have a one a day plan.

Mick

• Like 1

I'm hoping a get lady Gaga soon........so i can disgust the snobs, lol

Mick

Excellent!

And to repulse you, I shall have to review sometime Beyonce's debut solo album, one of my very favourite, top twenty albums of all time (no, really).

• Like 2

Mick

Excellent!

And to repulse you, I shall have to review sometime Beyonce's debut solo album, one of my very favourite, top twenty albums of all time (no, really).

i look forward to it. I love reading your thoughts. even if i don't agree with a word at times.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Excellent!

i look forward to it. I love reading your thoughts. even if i don't agree with a word at times.

lol

Mick

I loved Beyonce back when I was a preteen...and then this came out before I discovered rock music...shaped my tastes for way too long (I still love nineties and early noughties r n b).

• Like 1

Or so we thought...

Holy cow. I hate Bon Jovi but this post make me want to like them.

• Like 1

Or so we thought...

Holy cow. I hate Bon Jovi but this post make me want to like them.

i know right lol.

i loath them but jeez what a great case for them.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Maybe you'll actually review Lyle Lovett's work sometime
  • Like 2

Mick

Mick

Maybe you'll actually review Lyle Lovett's work sometime

I would love that...

• Like 1

The Band-The band (1969)

The Band is a unique entity to me. They had the ability to make music that on 1 hand seemed easy to play. on the another hand very Complicated. When you heard them live they were one of the tightest units ever.

Consisting of Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Richard Manual, Rick Danko and Robbie Robert. This group came together 1 by 1 under the wing of Ronnie the Hawk Hawkins. Each joining his band at different times but eventually all coming together. They were named the band for their ability to play anything you want.

This group came together under Bob Dylan when he started to electric. Needless to say they had a tough time with this. Getting booed off of many stages. In 68 they struck out on their own with Music from Big Pink. An album that was widely acclaimed. and even Cited by eric Clapton as the reason for breaking up Cream.

Which brings us to this self Titled effort. What i LOVE about this effort......i think more then any other in my collection. Is it's at times Loose Feel. There are tract on here Like Across the Great Devide and When you Awake. That have a feel of Guys just gathering round a campfire and just singing and Jamming. Which Adds a certain worth to the record i love.

Oh Of course it includes what i feel to be two of the greats of the 60's. the night they Drove Old Dixie Down. and up on cripple Creek. The former a great civil War story. the latter. one of my favorite r n b like jams. Which you must hear at some point in your life.

I must mention Whispering Pines. Which showcases Richard Manuel.......who had one of the most haunting voices in music. This song showcases his ability to send shivers up anyone's spine. This and Lonesome suzy both show what a talent we are missing.

Of course they are rockers too. but to me it's about the almost hillbilly ballad feel that showcase the 3 voices of Danko Manuel and Danko.

All in all this is one of the Essentiel 60's tome. If you can give it a listen.

Key Tracks

The whole Freakin' album.

10/10

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1