The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I have Tape head on. they're starting to go in the direction i don't like. like heavier. but they still have the sense of melody. which is what i think they lost.

but Tape Head still has the melodic quality i love.

so yes i'm enjoying it.

Mick

I couldn't finish it today, I found it quite tiring, but I reckon in time I will enjoy it start to finish! Ear Candy is currently top four. I replayed Ogre Tones again. Not as keen, I do like five songs A LOT. But one is a remake of Goldilox. So...disappointing.

• Like 1

Symphony X, the album, has really bad vocals. Reminds me a little of how much I detest the first two Gathering albums, before Anekke joined. But I really like the songwriting!

Looking forward to album number two already, as I read online that the vocalist on the debut only lasted one album. I do really love the music on this debut though.

Symphony X, the album, has really bad vocals. Reminds me a little of how much I detest the first two Gathering albums, before Anekke joined. But I really like the songwriting!

Looking forward to album number two already, as I read online that the vocalist on the debut only lasted one album. I do really love the music on this debut though.

i would not have started there.

Debuts aren't always a god jumping off point.

But i promise you it get's so much better.

Mick

i would not have started there.

Debuts aren't always a god jumping off point.

But i promise you it get's so much better.

Mick

I always start at the beginning. I don't give up until album three (unless I was hooked prior to that).

Next up is...whatever its called I tried to remember the name!

The debut was very good. Strong songwriting for a young band, excellent melodies, I enjoyed the keyboards, and I liked the drama they built in spite of a low budget and a singer who I swear I never want to hear again.

Debut gets a 7/10, as much for the effort as it is for the outcome.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Segue, we talked Garbage a little bit in the Albums thread and also a bit today in the video chat. This is one of my favorite Garbage songs, and it's off Beautiful Garbage, the "bad" Garbage album. If you're getting back into them, start with the debut as usual, but I think Shirley's at her very best vocally in Beautiful Garbage.

Enough yammering, anyway.

Here's Nobody Loves You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOyXhFDlOM

I only listened to Symphony X once, and it was also the vocals that did it for me- I couldn't stand them, and I've never listened to them again.

However, I did not know that they've had more than one vocalist. I'm not sure if what I listened to was from the debut or not, but anyway... :huh:

Oh well. I don't even know what I'm saying. But there you have it.

Segue, we talked Garbage a little bit in the Albums thread and also a bit today in the video chat. This is one of my favorite Garbage songs, and it's off Beautiful Garbage, the "bad" Garbage album. If you're getting back into them, start with the debut as usual, but I think Shirley's at her very best vocally in Beautiful Garbage.

Enough yammering, anyway.

Here's Nobody Loves You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOyXhFDlOM

Awesome! I do like her voice.

I sense a nineties infatuation brewing once more...

I´m on a Baroness binge these days...they´re like a lighter version of Mastodon, with catchier hooks and a bit less metal.

They are outstanding! I've been a fan since just before the red album came out.

• Like 1

I have Purple......but i've yet to play it. but i love Baroness.

Mick

Haven't played Purple yet either.

• Like 1

If Adam comes back here, I want him to know he has set me on a path...called Steve Wilson solo...and I will be walking it for quite some time.
  • Like 2

If Adam comes back here, I want him to know he has set me on a path...called Steve Wilson solo...and I will be walking it for quite some time.

ohh.......wonderful. I really like Steve wilson no matter what he does. but solo he really is great.

Mick

ohh.......wonderful. I really like Steve wilson no matter what he does. but solo he really is great.

Mick

I really like everything I have heard...but unlike most around hear I have never been "hooked". But his solo work touches on emotions I suffer with, and it blows me away how he masters the themes perfectly without going OTT or dramatic. I admire it.

Routine is such a beautiful song. Listened to it twice today, and regardless of the video it captures feelings I know so well and it was a cathartic listen.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Mick

You really cant go wrong with Raven and HCE.

• Like 1

Mick

You really cant go wrong with Raven and HCE.

I agree. I still prefer Raven a little more, but I love both.

• Like 1

I find it a bit too intense for a full sitting.

Steven Wilson releases music that hits a nerve a little too pointedly.

This is a positive. But it doesn't mean I can easily cope with it.

I will give him time.

• Like 1

Segue, which version of Vapor Trails do you prefer? I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the remixed yet and I'm wondering if it's significantly different. Loudness War Database says it's more dynamic--but not by much.

Segue, which version of Vapor Trails do you prefer? I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the remixed yet and I'm wondering if it's significantly different. Loudness War Database says it's more dynamic--but not by much.

Personally, being a fan of Washington D.C. hardcore punk bands of the 80's, and their crusty, hideously cheap but rich music, I have no issue with Vapor Trails accidental brilliance. It's awful productions adds amazing fire to the music, sort of like how when actors ad lib and come out with unscripted zinger that enthral movie goers for decades.

The remix is fine. You hear everything better. It's nicer, it's as the band intentioned. Apparently.

But the mess up worked wonders back in the day, I am not saying it is a hardcore album like Converge or Rites Of Spring, but that insanely heated fire is absolutely breathtaking to my mind and heart.

I truly understand why some find it hard to listen too. But before my AOR and pop loving days took hold, I was into much dirtier stuff. And Vapor Trails has an acidic vulgarity that truly burns the way it was first released.

Personally, everything about the remix, from the castrated sound to the truly ugly artwork adjustments, sounds too safe.

Sometimes sound quality is essential.

But something went right with Vapor Trails when it all went wrong. And my none pop-loving ears loves that dirty rage.

• Like 1

Posting cause it's getting buried again.

Segue in no way would love my music tastes at all.

all Zappa.......all the time.

Mick

I've gone off on a tangent of my own- seven Robert Pollard albums since yesterday (but they're all pretty short, around 35 minutes each).

The sound is mostly Second British Invasion (think The Who/The Kinks) mixed with abrasive mid-90s indie rock, in little two to three-minute bursts. I love it. He'll fit 16 or 17 tracks in well under 40 minutes, and routinely releases four or five albums per year, between his solo work and various side projects under other names, for which he is also the brainchild. The guy has copyrighted something like 1600 songs; it's just mind-boggling.

• Like 1