The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Japanese releases are amazing. I have only ever heard good things, but figured it was all hype.

But I hate the sound of Springsteen's Magic so much, I figured it was worth a shot.

And my goodness...I can hear the instruments, I can hear the lyrics.

It no longer sounds like mush.

Maybe I should get a Japanese copy of CA. Because I am beyond blown away.

Also, the packaging is vastly superior. A bit embarrassing to consider what we regard as deluxe editions, when the standard packaging for Japan is so generous.

You guys have no idea how much this cleaner sounding album cheers me. Its phenomenal.

• Like 2

Mick, the first two AB albums have strong production, but the third is very muddy. Better than Magic and CA, but still a little dense for my tastes.

Its also my favourite of the lot, but once again it wasn't an instant winner.

Fortress is the band best album, but ABIII.5 (you want this one) is very special to me.

Mick, the first two AB albums have strong production, but the third is very muddy. Better than Magic and CA, but still a little dense for my tastes.

Fortress is the band best album, but ABIII.5 (you want this one) is very special to me.

ok so i have choices to make.

i may just go chronologically for the rest.

it'll be easy they have a small discography, lol,

Mick

• Like 1

ok so i have choices to make.

i may just go chronologically for the rest.

it'll be easy they have a small discography, lol,

Mick

The debut is lovely...Myles had no input onbon that one aside from vocals, they didn't realise his skill as a guitarist.

The only album comparable to Creed, but without Scott Tapp, the quality is a lot better. What a difference a singer can bring!

AB hit their stride when it became apparent that Kennedy and Tremonti had a lot of chemistry. Blackbird is a major step up from the debut. The patchiest for me, but the best songs are absolute masterpieces (the title track is off the charts).

ABIII cemented their reputation as a great band, and with Fortress they blew away everyone. Each album is better than the previous one.

And they were great to begin with!

• Like 2

I never had an issue with the production on AB III. It's my favorite album from them too but for some reason they seem to be stuck on Blackbird when it comes to the album they favor for their setlists. I saw them when they toured for AB III, it was a fantastic show but they only did like four songs off it and seven or eight off Blackbird. I didn't see them on their most recent tour but it was the same for that as well. They've released two great albums since Blackbird and I think it's time the band stopped relying so heavily on that album in their sets and make them more balanced. They've only got four albums, so that won't be hard to do.

When I saw them live Myles let the crowd sing the chorus during Broken Wings. It get chills thinking about it. We nailed the chorus each time and it's on of my favorite concert memories.

• Like 1

I never had an issue with the production on AB III. It's my favorite album from them too but for some reason they seem to be stuck on Blackbird when it comes to the album they favor for their setlists. I saw them when they toured for AB III, it was a fantastic show but they only did like four songs off it and seven or eight off Blackbird. I didn't see them on their most recent tour but it was the same for that as well. They've released two great albums since Blackbird and I think it's time the band stopped relying so heavily on that album in their sets and make them more balanced. They've only got four albums, so that won't be hard to do.

When I saw them live Myles let the crowd sing the chorus during Broken Wings. It get chills thinking about it. We nailed the chorus each time and it's on of my favorite concert memories.

It doesn't bother me either, but when I first heard it I found it very dense.

I never knew you liked AB!

Hmmm, I thought you knew. I know i've talked about them with someone on here before, so I figured that was you. Maybe not.

I've been a fan since the first album. One of the few bands I can say i've been a fan of since they started.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I thought you knew. I know i've talked about them with someone on here before, so I figured that was you. Maybe not.

I've been a fan since the first album. One of the few bands I can say i've been a fan of since they started.

Actually I think it was you, you are correct!

Btw, any progress on Paradise Lost?

Yes, I somehow managed to make it through Believe In Nothing and Symbol Of Life but i'm not sure how? I really feel like I wasted my time listening to these two albums and the two that came before them. I don't think i've ever heard a band lose their way musically as bad as they did with those four albums. At least with the self titled one it sounds like they're trying to get back to something that resembles what they were doing before One Second. So, I guess that's a positive sign.

• Like 1

Yes, I somehow managed to make it through Believe In Nothing and Symbol Of Life but i'm not sure how? I really feel like I wasted my time listening to these two albums and the two that came before them. I don't think i've ever heard a band lose their way musically as bad as they did with those four albums. At least with the self titled one it sounds like they're trying to get back to something that resembles what they were doing before One Second. So, I guess that's a positive sign.

Although i understand where you are coming from, I love those albums! Keep going...the transition back to metal began solidly on the self titled album, and improved with every new release!

Faith Divides is my favourite PL album of them all.

I think the commercial phase appeals strongly to me because I love bands like Lacuna Coil, HIM and Evanescence, and all three of these bands owe some influence, directly or indirectly, to PL. I truly love this band...and I truly believe they came into their own fully with DT and progressed beautifully from their.

Depeche Mode flavour metal is completely up my alley anyway!

I think the commercial phase appeals strongly to me because I love bands like Lacuna Coil, HIM and Evanescence, and all three of these bands owe some influence, directly or indirectly, to PL. I truly love this band...and I truly believe they came into their own fully with DT and progressed beautifully from their.

I guess the thing I don't get is why this drastic of a transformation happened with their music? They went from being a very good death/doom/goth style band on those first five albums to doing f'ing synthpop for the next four releases? A genre that hadn't been relevant, at least in the US, in almost a decade when they started doing it. How the hell does that happen? I'm not saying I won't give these albums another chance at some point but seriously, WTF?

I listened to In Requiem and FDUDUU last night and those two albums are very good. That's more the style I want to hear from them. They would have had themselves a nice long run of really good albums if these two followed Draconian Times.

• Like 1

I guess the thing I don't get is why this drastic of a transformation happened with their music? They went from being a very good death/doom/goth style band on those first five albums to doing f'ing synthpop for the next four releases? A genre that hadn't been relevant, at least in the US, in almost a decade when they started doing it. How the hell does that happen? I'm not saying I won't give these albums another chance at some point but seriously, WTF?

I listened to In Requiem and FDUDUU last night and those two albums are very good. That's more the style I want to hear from them. They would have had themselves a nice long run of really good albums if these two followed Draconian Times.

I read interviews with the band. I think it was they enjoyed listening too, but I have to say, they took a huge risk and it paid off for only a few fans.

Faith Divides is my favourite metal album of all time. Tragic Idol is about equal.

The latest, The Plague Within, is very good but for a band known for their risk taking, it is very formulaic.

Bite me Segue, lol

Mick

Yes please

• Like 1

The Japanese version of Clockwork Angels does sound better to these ears.

Might look into it!

I really don't want buy the same shit for better sound It's not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok whine off, lol

Seriously i might........might........try it with CA.

Mick

• Like 1

What do they do different with Japanese versions that make albums sound better?

I don't know, but both Japanese CD's I have are higher quality than the standard version.