HUGE SPOILERS, PROBABLY HALF THE SETLIST

pfrushfan0122

Rush fans are impossible to please, it seems. I'd guess only 1% of the audience even knows about this board, and even fewer that want The Necromancer over, say, Dreamline. Don't forget, they're a business first - they have to sell tickets, and playing I Think I'm Going Bald ain't gonna please 95% of the audience. It's a tough balance I'm sure.

Hey I resent that!!

Your right, but giving your fans what they want would be real nice. Remember, when they cashed it all in on 2112, when it was all or nothing, going out with a bang, doing it they're way, despite when the record company executives wanted (they wanted radio music. A hit), it was the older fan base that bought that record and saved they're careers. It was the over 50's who said "yes" to the birth of the greatest prog-rock band ever. So yea, FREAKIN PLAY SOME AFWTK AND / OR SOME HEMISPHERES.

Yeah but it was us then young teens who found them in the 80's composing music similar but so strikingly different than what our peers were trying to coerce us into liking whether it be hair bands or punk. WE Carried them through P/G, PowerWindows, and Hold Your Fire. We sustained the momentum when some of the first responders abandoned ship.

We had our tour the last time. You are getting yours this time with an entire set of Moving Pictures and prior to. Enjoy the moment.

Well, all that remains to be seen. at this point we have a twitter pic or instagram (or whatever it was) of a supposed setlist. I'll believe it when I hear it. I don't know how old you are, but I will tell you this. In the fall of 1978 I was 14 years old. I saw RUSH on the tour of the Hemispheres at the state fair grounds in Oklahoma City. At that point in my life all I had ever seen was KISS and Ted Nugent. The tour of the Hemispheres was like a religious experience compared to the aforementioned (no offence to KISS or Ted). I have seen many concerts in my day. Trust me, I'm not bragging, I just love music and going to a good concert is like my hobby. I have seen Rush more than any other band. they represent so much to me as I'm sure they do you. I would pay almost any amount of money to hear even a morsel of what I got that evening.

If there is a God in heaven, yes please I hope your right. this time it's for the old farts ;)

And for the record, Moving pictures is an Awesome album. So I'm not all about the 70's

Another thing about the "/" songs

it could simply be that they wanted to keep the text size and format the same and with the names of those longs being a little longer to list them individually with the same directors name would have thrown off the format

I don't know :)

And I do believe this will most likely be very close to the order they are presented with in concert so the same director or company would be listed separately for the songs they worked on

Always fun to speculate

But I do think there are more surprises

Even bigger surprises than JL and Prelude/Cygnus

I think if Rush were smart and wanted to blow everyone away they would be smart NOT to list anything in a book where people could see it before the show

Maybe they figured JL and Prelude/Cygnus was a little surprise but not as big as other surprises they have in store for us so they wanted to guard it closely

If that's the case then it's smart

I still say 4-5 more songs and they will be old songs from the 70's that no one expects

Fly By Night

Bastille Day

Cinderella Man

The Twilight Zone

The Trees

Xanadu

Lakeside Park

I don't know

I don't think we get anything from the first album

This is a celebration of Neil joining the band

Give me Cinderella Man, Xanadu and Lakeside Park if I get to choose from those listed.

Unfortunately Ged has said he doesn't like willows in the breeze, but yeah, Lakeside, Cindy, Xanadu, heck Different Strings would be an awesome lead in to Natural Science. Plenty of easier vocal tunes to surprise the fans with...

I am ok with all the repeats, its RUSH, I just don't get it.

Unfortunately Ged has said he doesn't like willows in the breeze, but yeah, Lakeside, Cindy, Xanadu, heck Different Strings would be an awesome lead in to Natural Science. Plenty of easier vocal tunes to surprise the fans with...

I am ok with all the repeats, its RUSH, I just don't get it.

Oh hell, give me Fly By Night and Bastille Day too. I'm greedy. :dweez:

FBN, unlikely.

70s stuff will be kept to a bare minimum.

It is what it is. They gotta play for the mainstream.

they have to play for the mainstream? Really? think about what you just said. They've never been about "the mainstream." Never.

FBN, unlikely.

Uh, VS, top five albums, as voted by the millions of TRF members ;) were 2112 thru MP.

Seems to me the 70s era is far more passionate and vocal, and Ged has even learned to sing Temples, Circumstances and Freewill to keep them happy at this late stage in his career.

I doubt the casual rock fan knows OLV, FC, RTB or Animate, so why repeat those...

FBN, unlikely.

they have to play for the mainstream? Really? think about what you just said. They've never been about "the mainstream." Never.

Think about the last several tours.

Rush is more mainstream now than they've ever been. It's 'cool' to like Rush now in the 21st century. :)

One set is deeper (new material plus a few deep cuts)

One set is the hits.

It's pretty lock n' block with their current two set structure...since Snakes and Arrows, anyway.

FBN, unlikely.

Uh, VS, top five albums, as voted by the millions of TRF members ;) were 2112 thru MP.

Seems to me the 70s era is far more passionate and vocal, and Ged has even learned to sing Temples, Circumstances and Freewill to keep them happy at this late stage in his career.

I doubt the casual rock fan knows OLV, FC, RTB or Animate, so why repeat those...

I'm with you. recently on That Metal Show (google it), Geddy picked his personal top 5 favorite RUSH albums.... They were MP, Perm Waves, 2112, Hemispheres, AFTK...

Nothing from the middle 80's through the 90's.

Edited by Jhill

And their mainstream is made up of fans who got into their music in the 70's or newer fans that prefer the "golden" age of Rush 74-82

LOL. No. Their mainstream is people who came of age in the early 80s. That's why the setlists favor the 80s.

FBN, unlikely.

Millions. LOL. TRF is def not representative of the average Rush fan, I don't think that's news. :)

I get that people hereabouts revere the 70s stuff. I do too. But their late 70s to mid 80s output is always going to take the Lion's Share.

• Like 1

And their mainstream is made up of fans who got into their music in the 70's or newer fans that prefer the "golden" age of Rush 74-82

LOL. No. Their mainstream is people who came of age in the early 80s. That's why the setlists favor the 80s.

that's a ridiculous and arrogant thing to say. Geddy can't sing in that high register anymore and you 80's fans benefit from his growing old

that's a ridiculous and arrogant thing to say. Geddy can't sing in that high register anymore and you 80's fans benefit from his growing old

You 80s fans?? LOL.

I am a fan of all their eras sans the late 90s. :)

Sheesh, you 70s only fans need to chill out.

You think the only reason Geddy doesn't sing more 70s material is because of his aging vox?

Nah. The main reason is catering to the public. As is the case with all bands. Van Halen WILL play Jump. AC/DC WILL play Back in Black. Rush WILL play Tom Sawyer. It's just the nature of the bidness. :)

You 80s fans?? LOL.

You think the only reason Geddy doesn't sing more 70s material is because of his aging vox?

Nah. The main reason is catering to the public. As is the case with all bands. Van Halen WILL play Jump. AC/DC WILL play Back in Black. Rush WILL play Tom Sawyer. It's just the nature of the bidness. :)

"70's only fans"... okay. for the record Geddy has said himself they have dropped songs from setlists in the past because of his aging vox. they just didn't work anymore. It is what it is. I'll be at the BOK tomorrow night, and they will play what they play, and it will be good.

You 80s fans?? LOL.

"70's only fans"... okay. for the record Geddy has said himself they have dropped songs from setlists in the past because of his aging vox. they just didn't work anymore. It is what it is. I'll be at the BOK tomorrow night, and they will play what they play, and it will be good.

And you'll hear more 80s tunes than 70s. :)

You 80s fans?? LOL.

Now thats going out on a limb.! Let's see, they released 6 albums in the 70's and everything else is 80's or above. Wow! how long did you have to think about that? :)

FBN, unlikely.

I'm with you. recently on That Metal Show (google it), Geddy picked his personal top 5 favorite RUSH albums.... They were MP, Perm Waves, 2112, Hemispheres, AFTK...

Nothing from the middle 80's through the 90's.

Someone asked Eddie Trunk about that. "Hey! We can only fit nine albums on the rack!" :laughing guy:

You 80s fans?? LOL.

Now thats going out on a limb.! Let's see, they released 6 albums in the 70's and everything else is 80's or above. Wow! how long did you have to think about that? :)

Um, someone missed the point. :)

Is there a definitive setlist yet?

You can start your sanctimonious bitching Friday night.

I found the ticket I will be purchasing if the post-hiatus composition is less than 15%

My "bitching" is factual, not hypocritical, ftr.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

You 80s fans?? LOL.

Go by album sales and concert tick sales and the 74-82 mark is exactly right. The height of their popularity was PeW/MP/Signals. Two shows per city. Now yes there will be more 80s+ than 70s.. but not better :)