Rush vs. Led Zeppelin, Round II

LedRush

For giggles, I've decided to pit my two favorite bands against each other...again. I'll start off with LZ's discography, and then move over to Plant ones to round out Rush's later albums. Page's efforts would beat Rush's comparable records, but Page doesn't have enough to sustain the comparison. And I thought it would be unfair to use his 2 releases and basically pit Rush against the better of Page/Plant.

Rush v LZ1 - Blowout. Both are derivative, but LZ knows who they are and crafts several classics right out of the box, sounding like a band that had been together for a long time.

FBN v LZII - Another blowout. LZ is pumping out classics, and probably has 5 songs better than any song on FBN

CoS v LZIII - CoS gets the nod. Both bands make dramatic changes, but I just love the epics too much.

2112 v. LZIV - Both bands are firing on all cylinders. Rush found their first signature sound, but LZ made one of the most memorable records in history.

AFTK v HotH - Even though AFTK is strong, this is another blowout. My favorite record of all time blends everything great about the band, and Rush hits a little bump with an excellent, but flawed record.

Hemispheres v. Physical Graffiti - Too close to call. Physical Graffiti has great songs and classics in abundance, and is clearly loose and having fun with some of their other arrangements. There's nothing too fun about Hemispheres, but it is pure awesomeness.

PeW v Presence - PeW. Rush changes their sound again, and delivers a classic. LZ gets darker and heavier than ever, but this was a one-man record. Achilles' Last Stand almost pushes LZ even here, but it's not quite enough. TSOR remains one of the best songs of all time, and PeW is much deeper.

MP v. ITTOD - Rush's most famous work is better than LZ's swansong. The Camera Eye is a magical keyboard epic, while Carouselembra is a keyboard editing mistake that lasts over 10 minutes.

Signals v Pictures at 11 - Rush changes gears again, and Plant strikes out on his own. His first effort is uneven, and even the lackluster Signals can eke out a win.

GuP v The Principle of Moments - Blowout. Plant finds his solo voice and creates an amazing record, while Rush start to sink into key-malaise.

PoW v. SnS - Plant's worst keyboard record against Rush's worst. PoW wins on the strength of 3 songs, while SnS produced just 2.

HYF v N&Z - Plant makes a rockin' keyboard record, showing that it can be done. Rush does not.

Presto v Manic Nirvana - Both are moves in the right direction, but Plant is more confident and successful.

RTB v Fate of Nations - Both bands make stronger moves, with both producing their best work in a decade. Tie.

CP v Walking to Clarksdale - Rush's worst album goes up against a disappointing reunion effort. Still, Page/Plant come up with 4 great songs and a few other solid ones, and CP has very little to like on it other than the return of real rock sound.

T4E v Dreamland - Rush's biggest blowout. T4E is a deep and great album, while Plant searches for inspiration in the musical past. Plant's album is interesting, but not nearly as memorable.

VT v Might ReArranger - Rush comes back with a vengeance, and Plant just comes back.

S&A v Raising Sand - Plant shows his diversity, crafting a deep, nuanced, and beautiful record. Rush gives us 8 songs that sound the same (and not very good) and a few others. Blowout for Plant.

CA v. Band of Joy - Another Rush blowout. Rush's best work in 20 years is one of the best records by a band this far into their careers ever made. Plant is trying and experimenting, but it is another forgettable record for him.

8 for Rush, 9 for LZ/Plant, 2 ties. I guess this is why these are my two favorite bands. If you want to include Feedback, it'd be a tie between the two bands, as S&A would edge out the Band of Joy, and CA would dominate Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar.

• Like 1

zep 1

zep 2

zep 3

zep 4

hoth

hemispheres

permanent waves

moving pictures

signals (up against coda, I haven't f***ed with any zep solo stuff)

Plant's path from 1982-1993 is very similar to Rush's in the same period.

I didn't include Coda because it is a collection of out takes, but if you gave it to Signals, I'm assuming you're not using the Coda with Hey, Hey What Can I Do, Traveling Riverside Blues, Baby Come On Home and White Summer/Black Mountainside, as those 4 alone are better than Signals.

No offense to Rush, but I think Led Zeppelin is superior to them.

I'm sure they would say the same! zep's better than most things. I like rush more overall but I think zep's best beats all but two rush albums.

• Like 1

I love me some Zep for sure. I have all of their albums up to that stinkaroo In Through The Out Door and wore them out in the day. I would still take Rush overall during that era. Just more my taste. 70's Yes would stand a better chance of overtaking Rush than Zep does for me. Matter of fact Rush and Yes are pretty much neck and neck for me at least. Love that style and "kind" of music save for that stinker Tales From Turd Infested Oceans... :codger: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Definetely in the first five or six albums (Hemispheres vs Physicall Graffiti is the REAL Clash of the Titans) but not in the last 35 yrs, even though putting in the equation Zep members solo albums is a little unfair....

Definetely in the first five or six albums (Hemispheres vs Physicall Graffiti is the REAL Clash of the Titans) but not in the last 35 yrs, even though putting in the equation Zep members solo albums is a little unfair....

i wasn't thinking past Kashmir (whatever album that was on).

Let's face it though, the same can be said about Rush after Signals.

Led Zeppelin is great, but Rush is more exciting. I'll take Caress Of Steel - Power Windows over Led Zeppelin I - In Through The Out Door any day of the week.

Zep III vs COS. Tough. Favorite Zeppelin vs favorite Rush.

I will vote for: LZ I, LZ II, COS, LZ IV, aFtK, Hem, PeW, MP, Signals

Plant's path from 1982-1993 is very similar to Rush's in the same period.

I've never thought about that before, but yeah, they are pretty similar.

I can put the LZ up against the first 8 Rush records, though.

Rush vs. LZ I:

Not even close. LZ does some faithful and innovative as hell renditions of the tried and true blues standards, with Page making them louder than ever heard before. Rush's debut is derivative originals that don't offer much for me.

FBN vs. LZ II:

LZ II is full of timeless songs, while FBN has 3, maybe 4 good songs, and one masterpiece that is By-Tor. LZ II wins.

LZ III vs. CoS:

CoS has laughably bad songs in ITIGB and Lakeside Park, and one very good song, FOL. LZ III is wonderful from start to end, even if it does get a bit weird with Hats Off. More timeless classics in Since I've Been Loving You, That's The Way, and Celebration Day.

LZ IV vs. 2112:

This one's a bit tougher, but LZ wins yet again. 2112 has a few of their finest songs ever recorded but it also has The Twilight Zone on it. LZ IV wins.

Houses Of The Holy vs. AFTK:

Good lord, this is almost unfair. Led Zeppelin's best album vs. a rather mediocre Rush album that happens to have Xanadu and a couple other okay tunes on it. Houses Of The Holy is one of the finest albums ever recorded in musical history.

Physical Graffiti vs. Hemispheres:

Rush finally wins one. Physical Graffiti has some brilliant moments but also suffers from double album syndrome where it's got some songs I consider filler and not their finest work. Hemispheres is perfection.

Presence vs. Permanent Waves:

This one is very close, but I think I'm going to give it to Permanent Waves, what I would consider Rush's Houses Of The Holy. This is a blending of all of Rush's styles over their first "era", but also a taste of the near future. Presence is one of Led Zeppelin's finest records, and Achilles Last Stand is my favorite LZ song, but I gotta give it to PeW.

ITTOD vs. Moving Pictures:

I give it to Moving Pictures easily, but while it gets shit on a lot, I like ITTOD. Plant gives one of his best vocal performances on I'm Gonna Crawl, and as goofy as it is, I enjoy Hot Dog. In The Evening is probably Led Zeppelin's last true moment of brilliance.

LZ: 5

Rush: 3

Rush started winning once they wrote Hemispheres.

• Like 2

I dont think you can chronologically make a comparison that is real accurate.

Tier 1 Albums from Both bands

1. Houses of the Holy 1. Permanent Waves

2. Led Zeppelin 2 2. Hemispheres

3. Led Zeppelin 4 3. A farewell to Kings

4. Led Zeppelin 1 4. Moving Pictures

5. CoS

6. 2112

Tier 2

5. Led Zeppelin 3 7. Signals

6. Physical Graffiti 8. Fly by Night

Tier 3

7. Presence 9. Power Windows

10. Grace Under Pressure

I dont have a hard time ranking Rush albums, and I dont have a hard time ranking Zeppelin albums, I just have a hard time integrating the two lists. I can say that any album in Tier 1, Zeppelin or Rush is better than any album in Tier 2, same for 3 etc

Edited by tx_rush

5. CoS

6. 2112

Tier 2

Tier 3

10. Grace Under Pressure

I dont have a hard time ranking Rush albums, and I dont have a hard time ranking Zeppelin albums, I just have a hard time integrating the two lists. I can say that any album in Tier 1, Zeppelin or Rush is better than any album in Tier 2, same for 3 etc

Signals as good as Physical Graffiti or better than Presence, and GuP and PoW in the conversation against real LZ albums? Ouch, baby. Very ouch.

I can put the LZ up against the first 8 Rush records, though.

Rush vs. LZ I:

Not even close. LZ does some faithful and innovative as hell renditions of the tried and true blues standards, with Page making them louder than ever heard before. Rush's debut is derivative originals that don't offer much for me.

FBN vs. LZ II:

LZ II is full of timeless songs, while FBN has 3, maybe 4 good songs, and one masterpiece that is By-Tor. LZ II wins.

LZ III vs. CoS:

CoS has laughably bad songs in ITIGB and Lakeside Park, and one very good song, FOL. LZ III is wonderful from start to end, even if it does get a bit weird with Hats Off. More timeless classics in Since I've Been Loving You, That's The Way, and Celebration Day.

LZ IV vs. 2112:

This one's a bit tougher, but LZ wins yet again. 2112 has a few of their finest songs ever recorded but it also has The Twilight Zone on it. LZ IV wins.

Houses Of The Holy vs. AFTK:

Good lord, this is almost unfair. Led Zeppelin's best album vs. a rather mediocre Rush album that happens to have Xanadu and a couple other okay tunes on it. Houses Of The Holy is one of the finest albums ever recorded in musical history.

Physical Graffiti vs. Hemispheres:

Rush finally wins one. Physical Graffiti has some brilliant moments but also suffers from double album syndrome where it's got some songs I consider filler and not their finest work. Hemispheres is perfection.

Presence vs. Permanent Waves:

This one is very close, but I think I'm going to give it to Permanent Waves, what I would consider Rush's Houses Of The Holy. This is a blending of all of Rush's styles over their first "era", but also a taste of the near future. Presence is one of Led Zeppelin's finest records, and Achilles Last Stand is my favorite LZ song, but I gotta give it to PeW.

ITTOD vs. Moving Pictures:

I give it to Moving Pictures easily, but while it gets shit on a lot, I like ITTOD. Plant gives one of his best vocal performances on I'm Gonna Crawl, and as goofy as it is, I enjoy Hot Dog. In The Evening is probably Led Zeppelin's last true moment of brilliance.

LZ: 5

Rush: 3

Rush started winning once they wrote Hemispheres.

You're right on ITTOD, which is still a great album. Fool in the Rain remains one of my favorite tunes from any band and In the Evening is a classic. Hot Dog is a good, fun, and funny song and All of My Love is some of Plant's best lyrics and emotional singing (for obvious reasons).

5. CoS

6. 2112

Tier 2

Tier 3

10. Grace Under Pressure

Signals as good as Physical Graffiti or better than Presence, and GuP and PoW in the conversation against real LZ albums? Ouch, baby. Very ouch.

I really dig physical graffiti, especially individual songs, it just doesnt flow very well as an album to me. for instance, one of my favorite tracks on Physical Graffiti, the rover was recorded when Led Zeppelin III was made (not 100% sure). Thats my biggest knock on Physical Graffiti.

Presence is good, but there are a couple duds and only 3 strong songs IMO.

Do Coda and ITTOD count as real Led Zeppelin albums?

5. CoS

6. 2112

Tier 2

Tier 3

10. Grace Under Pressure

I really dig physical graffiti, especially individual songs, it just doesnt flow very well as an album to me. for instance, one of my favorite tracks on Physical Graffiti, the rover was recorded when Led Zeppelin III was made (not 100% sure). Thats my biggest knock on Physical Graffiti.

Presence is good, but there are a couple duds and only 3 strong songs IMO.

Do Coda and ITTOD count as real Led Zeppelin albums?

The Rover is a HotH outtake, though I think it was originally written during the LZ3 time. And ITTOD is definitely a real LZ album...Coda, not so much. But the re-release is still better than Signals-PoW.

Meh. I would take seventies Kansas over both.