The Worst - Round Fourteen

Lorraine

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is(are) the worst song(s) on Counterparts?

• Animate
    • Stick It Out
    • Cut To The Chase
    • Nobody's Hero
    • Between Sun and Moon
    • Alien Shore
    • Speed of Love
    • Double Agent
    • Leave That Thing Alone
    • Cold Fire
    • Everyday Glory

That being said...The Speed of Love is my pick. They could have left that one behind.

They would have been better off leaving the entire album behind.

After the past four before CP, I didn't even pick this one up or even care much at the time that it was even released.

Now, that's sad, that they had lost you as a fan by that point. to the point where you wouldn't even buy the album.

I barely knew it existed. I wouldn't have bought RTB if it wasn't for Dreamline, either. And for a long time that was the only song I liked from it so it was $10.99 for one song.

But seriously, Rush were a decent band back then...but not particularly interesting.

According to Kurt Loder of RollingStone, Alex Lifeson is the "least" interesting guitar player ever

is that the guy that used to do the news on MTV?

But seriously, Rush were a decent band back then...but not particularly interesting.

According to Kurt Loder of RollingStone, Alex Lifeson is the "least" interesting guitar player ever

And former writer for Rolling Stone. :wacko:

And victim of a permanent stick up his butt.

• Like 2

This one was a step in the right direction....

You wanted the band to commit career suicide by penning awful songs with the worst lyrics of their careers?

• Like 2

You wanted the band to commit career suicide by penning awful songs with the worst lyrics of their careers?

I figured they had to get a little better after the crap they put out out with HyF, Presto, and RtB!

Let me say this. CP had their best production in ages. Superb......divine.......bravo. But what good is it wasted on the worst goofiest batch of songs. that was a huge stain on their standing for me.

Mick

• Like 1

I figured they had to get a little better after the crap they put out out with HyF, Presto, and RtB!

After Signals through Presto eroded the fan base, it was nice to see RTB actually grow it. Too bad they followed it with their worst album.

Let me say this. CP had their best production in ages. Superb......divine.......bravo. But what good is it wasted on the worst goofiest batch of songs. that was a huge stain on their standing for me.

Mick

The y finally got the style right, but the effort lacked all substance.

• Like 1

Mick

The y finally got the style right, but the effort lacked all substance.

a giant step forward. six giant ones back, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Dude is a dick of the highest order. Check out :53 into clip where he talks about Axl Rose being imbalanced, but not "mentally" imbalanced. Yet, by listening to the interview, that's exactly what he wants to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oJQuveBehU

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

After Signals through Presto eroded the fan base, it was nice to see RTB actually grow it. Too bad they followed it with their worst album.

Yikes...except for Dreamline (and marginally Where's my Thing) RtB was probably one of the worst pieces of crap they ever put out! If CP was as bad as RtB, I wouldn't have continued being a Rush fan!

Signals through Presto? Signals was decent, GuP was good, as was PW...HyF was the start of a HUGE downfall! CP at LEAST had some more inventive songs on it! (and they got rid of the weird sonic effects)

Kurt Loder is a smug turd. I remember the look he gave on MTV when he was reporting Counterparts high debut on the charts...kind of like Rush is a stain to music and humanity itself....ha!

Kurt Loder is a smug turd. I remember the look he gave on MTV when he was reporting Counterparts high debut on the charts...kind of like Rush is a stain to music and humanity itself....ha!

Well, even a broken clock...

:LOL:

He seemed a bit full of himself even back in the late 70s and 80s.

Dude is a dick of the highest order. Check out :53 into clip where he talks about Axl Rose being imbalanced, but not "mentally" imbalanced. Yet, by listening to the interview, that's exactly what he wants to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oJQuveBehU

I thought he was mentally unbalanced?

So what was it about Rush after Signals?

A lot of us say the juice was 2112 thru MP. Many prefer PeW thru PoW. But around the time of HYF, their best most passionate works were well behind them.

CP is the perfect album to reflect. This should have been their huge return to glory. CP was their first record to enter the charts at 2, right behind Pearl Jam in the grunge heyday. CP had the buzz going for it, hard rockin Rush was back. CP songs rocked live.

But listening to the record today, I hear it. Although there are very few synths, I hear the swimmies. The hesitation. But I'm still holding on to those 5 'hard rock' CP songs.

Ged says something alarming in the interview TM posted above. "We had Caveman for the raw sound and Peter for the sophisticated sound." They were trying to get the best of both worlds and weren't quite sure how to get there.

Some say, including the band, they got it back on TFE. I just don't hear it on there, net boys and net girls.

Everyone that came after Broon was an employee and did exactly what his bosses told him to do. And it's obvious on the records. Sure Rush had a little juice on PoW, but they were in love with their synthies and "sophisticated sound" and wanted to be something that they weren't when they were at their best.

In the beginning, they were young. They were hungry to crank out awesome and unique sounding music and make it as musicians. Broon pushed them. Stood up to them. Tolerated the synths, as long as they didn't get in the way of the best power rock prog three piece ever. He was the only one that had that image of Rush his entire career with the band. And it shows after his departure.

• Like 4

So what was it about Rush after Signals?

A lot of us say the juice was 2112 thru MP. Many prefer PeW thru PoW. But around the time of HYF, their best most passionate works were well behind them.

CP is the perfect album to reflect. This should have been their huge return to glory. CP was their first record to enter the charts at 2, right behind Pearl Jam in the grunge heyday. CP had the buzz going for it, hard rockin Rush was back. CP songs rocked live.

But listening to the record today, I hear it. Although there are very few synths, I hear the swimmies. The hesitation. But I'm still holding on to those 5 'hard rock' CP songs.

Ged says something alarming in the interview TM posted above. "We had Caveman for the raw sound and Peter for the sophisticated sound." They were trying to get the best of both worlds and weren't quite sure how to get there.

Some say, including the band, they got it back on TFE. I just don't hear it on there, net boys and net girls.

Everyone that came after Broon was an employee and did exactly what his bosses told him to do. And it's obvious on the records. Sure Rush had a little juice on PoW, but they were in love with their synthies and "sophisticated sound" and wanted to be something that they weren't when they were at their best.

In the beginning, they were young. They were hungry to crank out awesome and unique sounding music and make it as musicians. Broon pushed them. Stood up to them. Tolerated the synths, as long as they didn't get in the way of the best power rock prog three piece ever. He was the only one that had that image of Rush his entire career with the band. And it shows after his departure.

Good post. as much as i do love most of the records up through Presto and will defend them forever. I still really think letting Terry go was a mistake in the long run. and hope if they do one more album.....they ask him back.

Mick

Yikes...except for Dreamline (and marginally Where's my Thing) RtB was probably one of the worst pieces of crap they ever put out! If CP was as bad as RtB, I wouldn't have continued being a Rush fan!

Signals through Presto? Signals was decent, GuP was good, as was PW...HyF was the start of a HUGE downfall! CP at LEAST had some more inventive songs on it! (and they got rid of the weird sonic effects)

For me, Signals and PoW were albums where half the songs were great and half were really weak. HYF and Presto both had more good songs, but fewer great ones; more bland songs but fewer really weak ones. They were more consistent but didn't reach the highs or lows of the previous. RTB has the most great songs since MP, and I think that plus the sound made it Rush's most accessible and popular record since the early 80s as well. It led to a nice resurgence of Rush on classic rock and modern radio. Off of this strength, CP started selling and charting well, but when it got down to it there was nothing to give the album legs, and after people started realizing that there was little to like beyond the sound, it quickly fell out of the the public consciousness. It was a wasted opportunity with so much promise.

Edited by LedRush

Well, even a broken clock...

Kurt Loder worked for Rolling Stone prior to MTV.

So he has that smug 'I know the Talking Heads' are more important to music than Rush Rolling Stone mentality.

Of course everyone at Rolling Stone drank the Kool aid and think CBGB's was actually important to music.

Narrow minded hacks

Yes, Counterparts is not quite right in my book for the most part. Animate is great, Cut To The Chase is good too, The Speed Of Love is underrated...

My pick for worst is Between Sun And Moon.