Digital Man

Far Cry

The Garden

Working Man

Something For Nothing

Spirit Of Radio

Tom Sawyer

You are one different mofo :)

Any Rush fan who doesn't love TSOR baffles me. Just flat out confounds the shit out of me.

I don't hate it...I just think it's the least amazing song on Permanent Waves and nowhere near as great as anything on Hold Your Fire which gets a lot of derision. A fan favourite...but never once has it been one of mine. I can happily play PeW starting with Freewill.

i get the feeling that you like or love the songs that others dismiss and dismiss the songs that are obviously some of the best as a way of perhaps being different and standing out??? Not saying thay theres anything wrong with that per se, but it seems done for a purpose rather than it just happening.

Not at all. There is no conscious decision to dislike anything popular. Most bands hits are amongst my favourites.

But with Rush I really don't think many of their most famous songs are close to their best. I came to Rush on my own and forged my opinions without the influence of media, fellow fans or radio play.

Most other bands I love you will notice I praise and adore the hits. It's just not so with Rush.

And personally I find the tone "obviously the best" very narrow minded. I don't find any of these songs "obviously" amongst the bands best and if your ears tell you otherwise, it appears many others agree. But it's not anyone's business to tell me or anyone else what is "obviously" the best.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

In the general public consciousness, Closer to the Heart immediately leaps to mind. It's the first song to get repeated on a live release. But no other song that people know about qualify as "overrated" in my mind.

On this site, The Necromancer, The Fountain of Lamneth, A Farewell to Kings, and Cygnus X-1 are the main offenders. I think those two albums are way overrated here.

Tom Sawyer? C'mon. There's a difference between "I've heard a song a lot, so I'm kind of tired of it," and "overrated." You belong to this board, so you're a Rush fan. You don't have to say you don't like Tom Sawyer to prove it. The lyrics are not the greatest, but the song itself is amazing.

I think Tom Sawyer is great. I don't however think it's the greatest.

It's my least favourite song on MP. As is SOTR off of PeW.

I also think Caress Of Steel is better than Hemispheres. And A Farewell To Kings is the bands seventies masterwork.

And as it seems some think I am a contrarian, I happen to think 2112 is one of the all time greatest songs and Moving Pictures is one of the greatest rock albums ever released.

So screw the idea I dislike what's popular on purpose. Look at my music taste, have I ever indicated a dislike of the commercial or popular?

I'm a frigging Taylor Swift fan.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I used to feel this way about The Trees and Closer to the Heart --- two of their "signature" songs. It was from overexposure, especially with Closer in a live context. I never disliked that song (have always loved it actually) but got burnt out on it. Sounds like the band did too, for a while.

At this point, I'm not sure if I consider anything of theirs "overrrated"... even Sawyer/Spirit....

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

In the general public consciousness, Closer to the Heart immediately leaps to mind. It's the first song to get repeated on a live release. But no other song that people know about qualify as "overrated" in my mind.

On this site, The Necromancer, The Fountain of Lamneth, A Farewell to Kings, and Cygnus X-1 are the main offenders. I think those two albums are way overrated here.

Tom Sawyer? C'mon. There's a difference between "I've heard a song a lot, so I'm kind of tired of it," and "overrated." You belong to this board, so you're a Rush fan. You don't have to say you don't like Tom Sawyer to prove it. The lyrics are not the greatest, but the song itself is amazing.

I also think Caress Of Steel is better than Hemispheres. And A Farewell To Kings is the bands seventies masterwork.

And as it seems some think I am a contrarian, I happen to think 2112 is one of the all time greatest songs and Moving Pictures is one of the greatest rock albums ever released.

So screw the idea I dislike what's popular on purpose. Look at my music taste, have I ever indicated a dislike of the commercial or popular?

:LOL:

I believe you Segue. You like all kinds of crap. Popular crap & unpopular crap and IMHO, some good crap & bad crap. That's a lot of crap! But basically, you don't give a crap. :hail:

• Like 1

See what I mean? Caress of Steel and AFtK are overrated. :)

• Like 1

I think this thread is a bit negative and pointless in my humble opinion sorry.

Why the f**k are we looking for something to criticise Rush for when there is so much other shit going around??!!!!!!

Basically I don't think any of the bands songs are over rated. They do what they do and the boys would not lay down a track if they did not feel that their music was worthy of releasing. So anything that Alex, Neil and Geddy felt is good enough to put out is good enough for me.

There are many Rush songs that I did not care for in the past that I have come to love now in the same way that there are many of their songs that I loved and am a bit bored with now.

Let us move on from this, there is enough shitty music in the world without having to analyse Rush material too much

Steve :P

• Like 2

01. La Villa Strangiato

02. Xanadu

03. Headlong Flight

04. Leave That Thing Alone

05. One Little Victory

06. The Fountain of Lamneth

07. Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage

08. YYZ

09. Mission

10. 2112

The first thing one has to take into account when do a "most overrated" list, is how highly rated are the songs you are listing. I don't like Rivendell at all and not more than ANY of the songs on this list, but it is not highly rated by fans OR the general public. In fact, if it is rated at all it is very, very low in the pantheon of RUSH songs. In fact, it may be difficult to find something disparaging to say about the song that hasn't already been said!

So with that in mind, some explanations:

01. La Villa Strangiato is ridiculously praised and respected not just on this board, but in hardcore muso ranks. Yes, I get it, it is musically brilliant. It is amazingly technical playing and has all sorts of crazy time signatures. YAWN! It is a very well played instrumental with some interesting bits that goes on for too long. It isn't the be-all-end-all of music and it certainly isn't RUSH at their best.

02. Another universally loved tune with time changes and a big boring story arc. I like the introduction of synthesizers, but this song is heavy-handed and just goes on forever. Despite all that it is another candidate for Top Ten lists everywhere on this board.

03. The absolute WORST first single (I do not count Caravan · BU2B because that was released almost two years prior) ever released by RUSH off any album... wait... no, Twilight Zone is worse, but does anyone even remember that was the first single from 2112? I remember the immense amount of anticipation I had for Clockwork Angles after I heard Caravan · BU2B and the sheer disappointment when I first heard Headlong Flight. What a horrible song. It was like RUSH were channelling the worst elements of the debut or Fly By Night. The song is long, drags like a motherfuckker and has a time change on the chorus that feels forced and out of place. This is not a single, or at least should have never been. It is a big reason why this album ranks in my bottom 10 RUSH albums. Despite all that, I see this song all over Top 10s of people on this board. Excluding those who refuse to listen to anything after Moving Pictures, this song seems to be highly rated and a favourite off the last album. It is mind boggling to me.

04. Oh another boring instrumental that everyone seems to love! How many tours has this damn thing been played on?!?!? Counterparts as a whole is highly overrated and this song is the most overrated thing about it; that is saying a lot! Twiddle, twiddle, twiddle... YAWN.

05. Closely following RUSH's worst first single (excluding Twilight Zone) we go to their second worst first single. I actually think Vapor Trails (Canadian bands should spell this "Vapour") is a pretty good album, albeit not stellar, but what a turd of a first single! This song is waaaaaay too heavy to be a single for RUSH, and the drum intro is just loud and annoying. Hot For Teacher this is not, and even that song was the 3rd single from an already successful album, not the first song you hear. Yet, despite all that I see this song often listed here as one of the favourites from Vapor Trails. The fact of the album being relatively low rated by RUSH fans, ensures this doesn't make my Top 3 most overrated, but it still manages to garner plenty of undeserving praise.

06. At least this song is only highly rated by RUSH fans. The word outside this insular community has thankfully been spared from listening to the endless drudge that is The Fountain of Lamneth. I don't get the sharp endings within the song, followed by a short silence and a quiet fading in guitar. That seems like it is better suited to being called two distinct songs, but right, we have the callbacks and the lyrical through-line to keep it being something that can be called a cohesive piece... it is rather all very boring. This song isn't Top 5 overrated, because it is mostly only hardcore prog-era RUSH fans that rate it highly.

07. My criticisms for #6 on the list remain true for this one. I guess the story is slightly more compelling? Maybe...

08. This first ever Grammy nomination for RUSH! Unfortunately it is in the instrumental category. This song is wildly popular for an instrumental even outside hardcore RUSH fans. It shouldn't be THAT popular. Why do so many people know this instrumental? This is the very definition of overrated.

09. Look, I LOVE Hold Your Fire, but why this song?!?! Why is this the one always being played live?! Break out Prime Mover, or Second Nature, or even Open Secrets if you are feeling crazy. Even board members who feel the need to endlessly criticize Hold Your Fire seem to provide an exemption for this song. Why? I don't get it. It's s an okay song off a great album with much better tunes on it. At best it should be one of many songs cycled into the live shows from this album, not the one that is played above all others.

10. Okay, let me start by saying I actually like 2112. Well... I particularly like The Temples of Syrinx a lot. I think had it been a stand-alone song it would have been even better, but I like it here too. I also like much of Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: The Dream, and Soliloquy. What I hate is how songs end within the song, then following the silence we get trickling water sounds. I am so glad RUSH did away with this by the time they got to Natural Science (which I love) and made their long epic songs sound like one song without starts/stops/fade ins. Putting all that aside, the song itself is massively rated not only here but in the public as well. This latest special edition re-release with all of the bells and whistles is NOT because A Passage to Bangkok, The Twilight Zone, Lessons, Tears, and Something for Nothing are a musical phenomena that the pubic are clamouring for. It's all about Side A. I still think that 2112 was as good as RUSH got with these start and stop epics, but as far as I am concerned, the song is still deeply flawed and nowhere near RUSH at their best. It is pretty good, especially for one of these drawn out 20 minute "songs" that starts, stops, fades in, and repeats, but it is still very overrated.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

01. La Villa Strangiato is ridiculously praised and respected not just on this board, but in hardcore muso ranks. Yes, I get it, it is musically brilliant. It is amazingly technical playing and has all sorts of crazy time signatures. YAWN! It is a very well played instrumental with some interesting bits that goes on for too long. It isn't the be-all-end-all of music and it certainly isn't RUSH at their best.

And it's largely plagiarized.

:ph34r:

Stilla great listen, though.

I would love to know what you think Stangiato has plagiarised because I don't know of anything. Thing is that every great band has been influenced that something that has gone before. There is a fine line between "influence" and straight forward rip off. Oasis ripped off everything, Noel was clever enough to just take little snippets from songs to avoid court cases. We are not reinventing the wheel here dude.

This song was great and took Beatles influence. It was produced in the same way vocal wise in the mix. Yes the Chorus is very like "Hello Goodbye"

So what!!!!!!

George Harrison had a court case about "My Sweet Lord" was ripped off from "He's so fine" by The Chiffons.

It is two f***ing chords for Christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! A minor 7 to D major. You cant bloody copy write that!!!

I am waiting to hear what La Villa has ripped off

Thank you

• Like 1

I would love to know what you think Stangiato has plagiarised because I don't know of anything. Thing is that every great band has been influenced that something that has gone before. There is a fine line between "influence" and straight forward rip off. Oasis ripped off everything, Noel was clever enough to just take little snippets from songs to avoid court cases. We are not reinventing the wheel here dude.

This song was great and took Beatles influence. It was produced in the same way vocal wise in the mix. Yes the Chorus is very like "Hello Goodbye"

So what!!!!!!

George Harrison had a court case about "My Sweet Lord" was ripped off from "He's so fine" by The Chiffons.

It is two f***ing chords for Christ sake!!!!!!!!!!!!! A minor 7 to D major. You cant bloody copy write that!!!

Thank you

Go to 1:20 for the note-for-note lifting.

Rush didn't give credit to Scott for their use of "Powerhouse" either. By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), and being the class act that they are, offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord Raymond Scott partial songwriting credit on the piece.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2324

• Like 1

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

Rush didn't give credit to Scott for their use of "Powerhouse" either. By the time Raymond Scott's publisher notified the band's management of the infringement, the statute of limitations had expired on the challenge. But Rush's management, out of deference to Mr. and Mrs. Scott (Raymond was still alive at that point), and being the class act that they are, offered a one-time "penance" payment, feeling it was the ethical thing to do. All involved were happy with the resolution, and Rush has no further financial obligations. Under the settlement, they were not required to accord Raymond Scott partial songwriting credit on the piece.

http://www.songfacts...ail.php?id=2324

Fun fact: Raymond Scott's drummer was a guy named Johnny Williams. His son: composer John Williams.

200px-Johnny_and_Raymond_Scott.jpg

• Like 1

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Ok I get you, guilty as charged

But it is only one riff and section of a song. Neil is a huge Jazz fan so I guess he lifted this

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But surely it is a tribute to Neil's influences??? Ha ha

Thanks

• Like 1

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

But it is only one riff and section of a song. Neil is a huge Jazz fan so I guess he lifted this

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But surely it is a tribute to Neil's influences??? Ha ha

Thanks

Weird thing: jazz guys never really talk about R Scott because his music was pretty much totally composed: no improvisation, therefore not jazz!

"Powerhouse" was popular in old cartoons, which is where Geddy or Alex probably ran across it.

Fun fact #2: Raymond Scott was also the father of ambient music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l17kn0WpD2s

• Like 2

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

Weird thing: jazz guys never really talk about R Scott because his music was pretty much totally composed: no improvisation, therefore not jazz!

"Powerhouse" was popular in old cartoons, which is where Geddy or Alex probably ran across it.

I don't know enough about Jazz music to express an opinion. However I do really like Weather Report and Miles Davis and what I have heard some stuff by Charlie Parker. I love Django Rheinhart and Stephan Grappeli. Django had an accident and had to relearn to play the guitar with only two left hand fingers with limited ability in his third one. His technique can blow away any guitarists today.

I am a guitar player but I love the playing of Jaco so much, such a beautiful and lyrical style. He suffered mental illness before it was generally recognised and the doorman that gave him a hiding to end his life says that he still thinks about it every day and it has blighted his life with remorse and sadness.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwja8NOHj9DSAhVHBMAKHVb2CwYQ3ywIJTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAe0nwSv6cTU&usg=AFQjCNF53KLFMWuUKKq25fbvlMEMSbqhZg

• Like 2

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

The story is that Alex grew up hearing it, always had it rattling around in his head, and lifted it subconsciously.
  • Like 3

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

The story is that Alex grew up hearing it, always had it rattling around in his head, and lifted it subconsciously.

Yes....... that sounds like a load of bollocks. Stories like that make good form

I think perhaps Neil used it without Al and Ged realising it was a derivative

Neil was the Jazz freak, Ged and Al were rock fans all the way down the line from their childhood

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

What you say about old cartoons makes a lot of sense

• Like 1

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

Really interesting to read about this! Musicians have such an ear for musical phrases, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. In his autobiography, Keith Richards admits that now that he is older and has been around music for so much of his life; it does. He said he writes the music part of a song and his kids will go, "Dad, that part is a K. D. Lang song" or whatever. Keith said if he likes the song as a whole, he contacts the person and sees if he can arrange a co writing credit. :)

• Like 3

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

http://www.raymondscott.net/film/videos/

This page has a montage of cartoons featuring Scott's music.

• Like 2

So what!!!!!!

Thank you

Thanks

http://www.raymondsc...et/film/videos/

This page has a montage of cartoons featuring Scott's music.

When I played that clip of "Powerhouse", I feel like I have been hearing it my whole life with cartoons! Very enlightening. Until today, I had no idea Raymond Scott existed.

• Like 3

Perhaps we should all consider all other over rated songs by other bands.

I mean is this a Rush appreciation forum or a Rush slag off forum ????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can discuss less favourite things and still love a band.

Being a fan doesn't mean who have to deny the stuff you like least.

It's called conversation buddy

• Like 1

09. Look, I LOVE Hold Your Fire, but why this song?!?! Why is this the one always being played live?! Break out Prime Mover, or Second Nature, or even Open Secrets if you are feeling crazy. Even board members who feel the need to endlessly criticize Hold Your Fire seem to provide an exemption for this song. Why? I don't get it. It's s an okay song off a great album with much better tunes on it. At best it should be one of many songs cycled into the live shows from this album, not the one that is played above all others.

The best part of the R40 setlist? They jumped from Roll the Bones to Grace Under Pressure.