Maybe it takes repeated listens to learn to love 'Presto'

Rush Fan in Michigan

If I recall your last thread this would put Presto ahead of 2112. Like meaning that Presto is better than 2112. Wow and double wow. I enjoy about 6 or 7 songs from the album btw...

Ranking Presto ahead of Grace Under Pressure, Clockwork Angels, and Vapor Trails :wacko:

But it looks like Test For Echo is going to make the top 10 for both of you. That's going to piss off a lot of people :laughing guy: And it looks like Counterparts will for one of you :D

I hadn't even read any of the links until just now cus you got me curious. Not sure who or which one Dave is but good Lord as far as taste in Rush music goes. :wacko: Just my opinion. The other isn't the greatest but better...

I'm Dave, and I go first in the blog.

Oops. Sorry Dave... :)

No need to apologize! We all have different opinions about the band we all love!

• Like 1

I have grown to like Presto, and I love the song. Yes, the production is thin and the songs aren't as strong as on many previous albums, but it was a step in the right direction musically, and it has some excellent songs on it.

Agreed. I do love the song Presto also. I also really enjoy Chain Lightning, Scars, Red Tide and Available Light and am not ashamed to admit it. Obviously The Pass is a staple and its ok. I kind of like War Paint too :ph34r: ...

I enjoy presto more than the other albums surrounding it. The songs are strong, but suffer from thin guitar production.

Title track, where Ged is harmonizing with himself (who else?) wow, some of his best singing post 1982. Great guitar solo.

I am with you on Chain Lightning, Scars, Red Tide and Available Light - actually was ready to dis Scars a little, but just sounded good.

Chain Lightning great lyrics, plus it's an inspiration to some names...respond.vibrate.feedback.resonate.

Superconductor suffers a lot from the thin guitar and keyboard as a feature instrument syndrome. Tune could have been executed better.

That's Entertainment!

• Like 1

Didn't happen. Still sounds tinny, and too many of the songs sound like Your Lite Rock Favorites ™. It's hard to believe the same guys who wrote Hemispheres and Permanent Waves put together such a desultory, gray listening experience.

Presto is still better than anything by Crötley Mu, KISS, Poison, Ratt, Anthrax, Duran Duran, The Police, Genesis, Bryan Adams...

Didn't happen. Still sounds tinny, and too many of the songs sound like Your Lite Rock Favorites ™. It's hard to believe the same guys who wrote Hemispheres and Permanent Waves put together such a desultory, gray listening experience.

Presto is still better than anything by Crötley Mu, KISS, Poison, Ratt, Anthrax, Duran Duran, The Police, Genesis, Bryan Adams...

'You are forgetting the masterpiece that was 'Union of the Snake'

Presto better than Bryan Adams!? You just committed a heinous crime.

GOOD DAY SIR

Presto better than Bryan Adams!? You just committed a heinous crime.

GOOD DAY SIR

Summer of 69 vs. Superconductor is TOO CLOSE TO CALL

Presto has a cool drum sound and i stand by that.

Bright...crisp...jazzy.

you forgot the word "light"

No, his autocorrect changed it. He actually meant to post this:

Shite...crass...lazy

Ya it takes multiple listens to hear the Bass.. Which is the key to liking Presto! Especially "Show Don't Tell". wicked bass lines in the music break around 3- 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

And I'll always love the drums in scars.!

• Like 2

Ya it takes multiple listens to hear the Bass.. Which is the key to liking Presto! Especially "Show Don't Tell". wicked bass lines in the music break around 3- 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

Effin Rupert Hine...he effed it up. The music could have been so much more enjoyable--like Clockwork Angels

• Like 1

Effin Rupert Hine...he effed it up. The music could have been so much more enjoyable--like Clockwork Angels

thank heaven it's not like CA.....I'd need 5 Tylenol for one listen.

Mick

• Like 3

CA is their best work. It would sound awesome coming out of a toilet bowl, with 5 tons of rat turds going down the pipes

• Like 2

Mick

OMG no kidding. Sometimes I can listen to it until the singing starts. :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick

So much of Rush's music could have been stripped down actually. I like to hear the every bass note and drum beat shaking my soul and nice clean guitar floating all around me and nothing more. That's why I love bands like Iron Maiden, UFO and Thin Lizzy!

• Like 3

Mick

So much of Rush's music could have been stripped down actually. I like to hear the every bass note and drum beat shaking my soul and nice clean guitar floating all around me and nothing more. That's why I love bands like Iron Maiden, UFO and Thin Lizzy!

Maiden always has great production, Rush could learn a thing or two from them
  • Like 5

If they do one more album.....i want them to get Terry Brown you may say it's them going backward. I don't care. He knew how to make them sound perfect. Sure Signals is debatable but still.....bring him back.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Yep. That is what strikes me so much every time I listen to a certain live recording. Powerful guitar, bass and drums and I can hear every note from each clear as a bell...
  • Like 4

I dont really think it was Ruperf Hine. Those Fixx albums sounded friggin great!! So did Private Dancer. I think it was really more a product of its time. Let's have a concept *slams fist down* Lets remove the low end from everything. You can hear it in Van Halen, Metallica the list goes on.