Who makes you want to play?

Jaminbenb

I love this style of playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLu8BbR5GvI

Can you do it? It's light-years beyond me.

I can rock the Mystery Train lick in several different chord forms and at different spots on the neck. And I've worked up a couple other patterns that work better with different chord shapes. It generally depends on whether the root is on the 5th or 6th string, or even the 4th string.

I'm definitely more of a Travis guy than a Chet guy. I like to alternate between two bass notes, not three, although I do find myself doing it sometimes. I've been working on it (not exclusively) for a couple of years now. I'd probably be a lot better if I weren't interested in flat picking so much, but it has definitely helped my hybrid picking. And I playing it like the guy in the video, using a pick and my middle and ring fingers.

I really took to classical guitar when I was in 11th grade, and seeing Steve Howe use hybrid picking really encouraged me as well.

I can see (and hear) how that style opens up a lot of doors. You can really sound like more than one guitarist.

I really took to classical guitar when I was in 11th grade, and seeing Steve Howe use hybrid picking really encouraged me as well.

I can see (and hear) how that style opens up a lot of doors. You can really sound like more than one guitarist.

Definitely. Self accompaniment, particularly once you manage to get the melody independent of the alternating bass line, turns you into a one man band, especially with that slap back echo.

• Like 2

Lindsey Buckingham comes to mind. He is a master of independent bass and melody lines. Never plays with a pick either. The guy in the video is doing kind of a comp on Chet Atkins' style Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 1

I'm not at all comfortable using my fingers. I'm a slave to the pick, baby!

Same...can't fingerpick at all. Very...picky :sigh: with my picks as well, only medium thickness. Just the right amount of give for the strums, but the right amount of firmness for all the notes.

Ian Paice of Deep Purple always makes me want to go into my room and play. He is my number one favourite drummer and a great inspirational. What I am most impressed by when it comes to Ian Paice is the fact that he plays the drums very well to this day even though he is old (he turns 67 this year). Here's a very good video recorded at a drum clinic he had last year.

Edited by Hemispheres4Echo

Here is a brief clip of me playing Mystery Train.

http://youtu.be/7TMC0OwWTos

Video's private.

I'll have to fix that.

At first I thought it was geoblocking me, since half the videos I watch on YouTube anymore are geoblocked over here, but I don't think that's the case.

Video works now.

:D

Very cool. I can still hear that you're working on it (it doesn't quite come off as confident yet), but you're about a million billion times better at that style than I am, or likely ever will be.

Video works now.

Very cool. I can still hear that you're working on it (it doesn't quite come off as confident yet), but you're about a million billion times better at that style than I am, or likely ever will be.

Definitely. I still need to tighten up the alternating bass, especially on the IV. But overall I'm pretty happy with my command of the patterns on the I and especially the V. It would have sounded more like something if I had had some slap back echo available, too. But I shouldn't have to reply on it.

Video works now.

Definitely. I still need to tighten up the alternating bass, especially on the IV. But overall I'm pretty happy with my command of the patterns on the I and especially the V. It would have sounded more like something if I had had some slap back echo available, too. But I shouldn't have to reply on it.

Agreed. I'm guessing your nails on your right hand are a bit longer than on the left?

Video works now.

Agreed. I'm guessing your nails on your right hand are a bit longer than on the left?

Nope. I used to do that, especially when I was playing a lot of classical style. But anymore, they would just get in the way Even a little bit of an edge will catch the string (especially with the middle finger) and cause it to snap in a way that I don't want it to. So they are all regular length short.

Video works now.

Nope. I used to do that, especially when I was playing a lot of classical style. But anymore, they would just get in the way Even a little bit of an edge will catch the string (especially with the middle finger) and cause it to snap in a way that I don't want it to. So they are all regular length short.

I can't stand to use my nails when I fingerpick, not so much for the way it sounds, but the way it feels. I don't feel like I have much control if I can't actually feel the string against my skin...but the downside is, my picked stuff sounds a bit "mushy".

Video works now.

I can't stand to use my nails when I fingerpick, not so much for the way it sounds, but the way it feels. I don't feel like I have much control if I can't actually feel the string against my skin...but the downside is, my picked stuff sounds a bit "mushy".

I think if I were playing nylon strings I would probably grow my nails out a little and then make sure they were properly shaped. I did that for years when playing a lot of classical style stuff. But with playing electric, and very bright guitars (Start, Tele, and Gretsch) it is enough to get a finger tip on a string to get it to ring out. I have to be pretty deliberate about it, too, since I'm using a pick as well, and usually on the bass notes. But those are usually palm muted, so the treble notes ring out more easily.

• Like 1