Who makes you want to play?

Jaminbenb

Video works now.

:D

Very cool. I can still hear that you're working on it (it doesn't quite come off as confident yet), but you're about a million billion times better at that style than I am, or likely ever will be.

Definitely. I still need to tighten up the alternating bass, especially on the IV. But overall I'm pretty happy with my command of the patterns on the I and especially the V. It would have sounded more like something if I had had some slap back echo available, too. But I shouldn't have to reply on it.

Agreed. I'm guessing your nails on your right hand are a bit longer than on the left?

Nope. I used to do that, especially when I was playing a lot of classical style. But anymore, they would just get in the way Even a little bit of an edge will catch the string (especially with the middle finger) and cause it to snap in a way that I don't want it to. So they are all regular length short.

I can't stand to use my nails when I fingerpick, not so much for the way it sounds, but the way it feels. I don't feel like I have much control if I can't actually feel the string against my skin...but the downside is, my picked stuff sounds a bit "mushy".

I think if I were playing nylon strings I would probably grow my nails out a little and then make sure they were properly shaped. I did that for years when playing a lot of classical style stuff. But with playing electric, and very bright guitars (Start, Tele, and Gretsch) it is enough to get a finger tip on a string to get it to ring out. I have to be pretty deliberate about it, too, since I'm using a pick as well, and usually on the bass notes. But those are usually palm muted, so the treble notes ring out more easily.

Well done young man!. Nice work. I enjoy your playing bud. You've got some skillz dawg

• Like 1

Video works now.

:D

Very cool. I can still hear that you're working on it (it doesn't quite come off as confident yet), but you're about a million billion times better at that style than I am, or likely ever will be.

Definitely. I still need to tighten up the alternating bass, especially on the IV. But overall I'm pretty happy with my command of the patterns on the I and especially the V. It would have sounded more like something if I had had some slap back echo available, too. But I shouldn't have to reply on it.

Agreed. I'm guessing your nails on your right hand are a bit longer than on the left?

Nope. I used to do that, especially when I was playing a lot of classical style. But anymore, they would just get in the way Even a little bit of an edge will catch the string (especially with the middle finger) and cause it to snap in a way that I don't want it to. So they are all regular length short.

I can't stand to use my nails when I fingerpick, not so much for the way it sounds, but the way it feels. I don't feel like I have much control if I can't actually feel the string against my skin...but the downside is, my picked stuff sounds a bit "mushy".

I think if I were playing nylon strings I would probably grow my nails out a little and then make sure they were properly shaped. I did that for years when playing a lot of classical style stuff. But with playing electric, and very bright guitars (Start, Tele, and Gretsch) it is enough to get a finger tip on a string to get it to ring out. I have to be pretty deliberate about it, too, since I'm using a pick as well, and usually on the bass notes. But those are usually palm muted, so the treble notes ring out more easily.

Well done young man!. Nice work. I enjoy your playing bud. You've got some skillz dawg

Thanks, bruh!

:haz:

How about this for a little inspiration to shred up a Tele?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3j2UUiAsM

Holy shit a twin guitar attack of Tele's! :haz:

Lovin' the guy on the bass as well

Edited by BowlCity

How about this for a little inspiration to shred up a Tele?

Excellent playing. If you're fans of that, I highly recommend

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/13/60/d43381b0c8a0517c5b74a110.L.jpg

Excellent playing. If you're fans of that, I highly recommend

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/13/60/d43381b0c8a0517c5b74a110.L.jpg

First time I heard The Hellecasters was probably back in 2008 on Pandora. I had a Stevie Ray Vaughan channel, and they would show up every so often. I was barely into the blues at that point, and didn't know what to make of what I was hearing from that album (probably Sweet Dreams) but I liked it. Finally downloaded it a year or two ago when I really got into wanting a Telecaster.

And if you like those guys, you'll love the guy they called The Telemaster: Danny Gatton.

I'm not sure if he used a Telecaster on this song in the studio. It sure sounds like he did. But there are videos of him playing it live with a Tele, and also a big hollow body Gibson.

This one I'm sure he recorded with a Telecaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdgI6YJUOeE

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

This one is of particular interest because I'm working on a solo version of this song as well. I like how she does it a lot. One thing though: when she's playing the Emaj chord at the end of the chorus, and she walks up the bass notes, she goes E, F#, G#, to A. When I walk it up, I skip the A and go to B, essentially playing an E7/B, which is, to me, a much better setup for returning to either Amaj or Am.

When I walk it up, I skip the A and go to B, essentially playing an E7/B, which is, to me, a much better setup for returning to either Amaj or Am.

Right...it reduces the tonal redundancy from one passage to the other...creating a little tonal tension is always a good thing.

Well, almost always a good thing. (Do I need to qualify my statements here, ala SOCN?) ;)

I think that since music is pretty subjective, a person with objectively good desires would not force you to qualify your statements. So, yes.

:LOL:

• Like 1

My son. He's developing a passion for music, and I want to model for him both a commitment to practice and - maybe more importantly - a curiosity for discovering new things.

For Goose, and his current Who binge:

Keith Moon makes me want to play.

The editor finally decides to show the drummer at 1:11, and it's pretty much the Keith Moon show from there on in.

:haz: Such a unique drumming style...just pure madness!
  • Like 2