Worst Sounding Synthesizers on a Rush Album.

toymaker

Listen up Synth era Brethren....stop trying to convince non synth era fans. It's futile.

And it's OK.

But it is a lost cause to convince those that thought Rush pussed out starting with Signals and all the way through Hold Your Fire that they wrote, recorded and produced some of the most brilliant songs in their entire career.

We know. That's all that matters.

Actually love the 80's synth through Grace Under Pressure. And Signals is my favorite Rush album.

Think the drop off (in song quality/synth sound) started after that with PoW. (IMO)

I can dig that. It became far more sequenced, colder, more horn blasting etc. But it was very relevant during that time frame 85-87. I happen to love a lot of it. It is an acquired taste (much like Rush is in general) for sure.

Listen up Synth era Brethren....stop trying to convince non synth era fans. It's futile.

And it's OK.

But it is a lost cause to convince those that thought Rush pussed out starting with Signals and all the way through Hold Your Fire that they wrote, recorded and produced some of the most brilliant songs in their entire career.

We know. That's all that matters.

Actually love the 80's synth through Grace Under Pressure. And Signals is my favorite Rush album.

Think the drop off (in song quality/synth sound) started after that with PoW. (IMO)

I can dig that. It became far more sequenced, colder, more horn blasting etc. But it was very relevant during that time frame 85-87. I happen to love a lot of it. It is an acquired taste (much like Rush is in general) for sure.

Yep.. want to add that I *do* like material on PoW and HYF, just significantly less than the early 80s material, which i love.

• Like 1

The Big Money is a collection of cheesy synth sounds. Might as well add a dog barking out Beethoven on it.

yip yip yip wooof... yip yip yip woooof..

Funny they didn't think of that on Roll the Bones.. It's almost as "good" as that rap

For the record, fraroc, I love Mystic Rhythms. Probably my current favorite off of PW.

It's probably that goosy sound at 3:20 that makes your wings flutter.

I admit back in the day I liked MR. The video was kind of trippy and cool (at that time). But after listening to it recently, it sounded just like Miami Vice soundtrack filler to me.

On top of the overindulgence of synths, this song really puts Al in the background...hey Al just add some twinky sounding arpeggios and Ged will take care of the rest. Unless your Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, no one goes to rock concerts to see the keyboard player.

The question was asked and I answered it.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

For the record, fraroc, I love Mystic Rhythms. Probably my current favorite off of PW.

It's probably that goosy sound at 3:20 that makes your wings flutter.

I admit back in the day I liked MR. The video was kind of trippy and cool (at that time). But after listening to it recently, it sounded just like Miami Vice soundtrack filler to me.

On top of the overindulgence of synths, this song really puts Al in the background...hey Al just add some twinky sounding arpeggios and Ged will take care of the rest. Unless your Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, no one goes to rock concerts to see the keyboard player.

The question was asked and I answered it.

Keith Emerson...Watching him destroy the Hammond is worth the price of admission!

(Or is it a Wurlitzer?)

On a related sort of note: in Roll the Bones, I don't like the rap, but it's not just the actual rap bit I dislike. That background music - with the exception of Lifeson's rather atmospheric lead playing - those gruesome "drum" and "bass" sounds really do sound like a child's toy. Were they going for a 80s throwback - Grandmaster Flash or Eddy Grant kind of vibe there? I didn't really listen to that kind of stuff growing up, so I don't know . . .

Red Tide .A good example of white noise.Great song otherwise.My 100th post,yay!