• amazing
    • damned good
    • full of potential, but . . .
    • I can listen to it, but it doesn't slay me
    • pretentious and half-baked
    • not my favourite
    • unlistenable
    • none of the above

The Fountain of Lamneth. Warning: lengthy post! Read at own risk.

The 12 string acoustic guitar that opens the song is a sweet little melody, very evenly played. Lee sings in a style very similar to Rivendell, with a touch more passion. He sounds young and plaintive, which suits the song. The chordal climb on the acoustic happens once, after which the whole band enters with the heavier part of the song. The electric guitar has always sounded just a little bit dull to me, like Lifeson is playing with old guitar strings. I’ve often felt the same about the sound of the drums. The riff itself, like the one that follows, is nothing that astonishing in relation to other Rush riffs. To me there’s something just slightly out of tune. Lee’s singing is great, though, and I love the “yet my eyes are drawn towards…” bit. This is a nicely melodic section of the song. When I was young, I thought that “The mountain holds the sunrise in the prison of the night / Till bursting forth from rocky chains the valley floods with light” was the height of poetry. I still think it’s an evocative image from a young drummer who never finished high school.

Didacts and Narpets is a cool little drum solo, played on the toms, hi-hats and cymbals only. I love the big boomy effect on the toms. It’s a different tune for them, with a bit of heaviness at the end.

No-one at the Bridge is a great tune, with some interesting chords and again a different sort of a approach to the drums. However, to me, the sound of the guitar and drums is just a bit on the dull sound. I don’t know if more effect on the clean electric sound would have helped (it sounds like there’s just a hint of something). I wish the drums sounded a bit snappier, or crisper, or brighter, or something. Geddy’s singing is that great combination of raw and plaintive. I think Lifeson’s solo is great—the doubled lead gives it some great crunch. It’s slow, but suits the song very well.

Then there’s Panacea—nylon string guitar and Geddy’s “softer” vocal style, cymbal washes and quiet drumming. I remember working this out on guitar when I was younger. It’s a sweet sounding little number, nicely accented by the electric “swells” and doubling of the main guitar. The lyrics are maybe a bit corny—what one might expect from a young man trying to express his idealistic notions of love for the first time.

My favorite bit comes next: Bacchus Plateau. This song, for me, works well as a stand-alone. It’s not terribly inventive, riff-wise, but it still has a signature Lifeson sound. It has yet another of those guitar climbs that are in so many early Rush tunes (for example, climbing up from Am to C or down from C to Am or both). The solo in this gets me, too. It’s a bit meandering, but I think it’s quite unique. The whole thing is a fine nod to those “one-too-many” nights.

A bit of a let-down comes at the end: returning to the same music that opened the song. Sure, it reinforces the cyclical nature of blah blah blah. I recently wrote in another post that I have no problem with using riffs as musical themes to tell a story. But this goes maybe a bit too far. It just sounds like the same song with different lyrics. The solo is cool—it’s got a couple of swooping bends and some fine-sounding pinch harmonics. I just don’t think the musical foundation here is worth repeating.

I do like this song (to my ears, set of songs), and I adore Caress of Steel over all. But like the cover, which reminds me of something that needs polishing and brightening up, the instruments just sound a bit dull.

Edited by toymaker

You mention the letdown at the end because they return to the music from the beginning, but that's why I like that part so much. Alex sounds like he is playing that guitar with all the strength he has. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I vote "amazing", particularly because of their youth. It had to have been written when they were 21-22 years old, and I said in another Caress of Steel thread recently- do you know any other musicians that young who could compose and record a piece like this?? It is absolutely remarkable to me.

Of course, compared to the grandeur of 2112, it does reside in the shadows a bit. But it is quite something on its own merits.

• Like 2

Then there’s Panacea..... The lyrics are maybe a bit corny—what one might expect from a young man trying to express his idealistic notions of love for the first time.

That is part of the reason why I love Panacea. Yes, it is an idealistic piece but, like Blue J said, who was it written by? Kids. Kids with oodles of talent. I think Panacea is beautiful.

Have you no romance in your soul, Toymaker? What's corney about the lyrics??? Hmmmmm??????? :smash:

• Like 1

Everything about CoS is great.

Like Monet's dustbin, it is both messy and beautiful.

• Like 3

You mention the letdown at the end because they return to the music from the beginning, but that's why I like that part so much. Alex sounds like he is playing that guitar with all the strength he has.

Oops! I made a mistake. The part I am referring to in the post above begins about 1:45.

But I still like the end of the song returning to the beginning.

My eyes have just been opened

And they're opened very wide......

This song is perhaps the best combination of story-telling, music, and poetry that the group has produced. It completely transports you, the story has several levels, the music works as a soundtrack...it's just pure awesomeness.
  • Like 4

and better then 2112 as an album :outtahere:

Mick

Agreed.

But 2112 is a masterpiece in its own right, and better than Hemispheres. :outtahere:

The Fountain of Lamneth is a good song, so I'll vote damned good. It doesn't have the ability to blow me out of the water like Rush's other long-form pieces, but it's still an awesome listen every time I decide to break out Caress of Steel. I will say that the section of it I love the most is No One At The Bridge, as Geddy's vocals there are astounding!
  • Like 1

Mick

Agreed.

But 2112 is a masterpiece in its own right, and better than Hemispheres. :outtahere:

ok ok, lol

I love the epic 2112 but the rest of the album besides Bangkok is tossed off

"OK we have our epic........SHIT we need a side 2. don't we?"

Mick

Then there’s Panacea..... The lyrics are maybe a bit corny—what one might expect from a young man trying to express his idealistic notions of love for the first time.

That is part of the reason why I love Panacea. Yes, it is an idealistic piece but, like Blue J said, who was it written by? Kids. Kids with oodles of talent. I think Panacea is beautiful.

Have you no romance in your soul, Toymaker? What's corney about the lyrics??? Hmmmmm??????? :smash:

My problem is that there is too much romance in my soul. The romance, it overwhelms me. I have been full of it for a long time . . . *

*an homage to Stephen Leacock

Mick

Agreed.

ok ok, lol

I love the epic 2112 but the rest of the album besides Bangkok is tossed off

"OK we have our epic........SHIT we need a side 2. don't we?"

Mick

I am with Narp[insert a catchy pun here] on this one: I really dig the whole of side two. Tears, Twilight Zone and Lessons are brilliant tunes!

• Like 3

OK, so I'll run the risk of pitchforks and torches and say it's never been one of my favourite things by the band. While there are moments which definitely work, overall it just kind of meanders for me, and just as it builds up any kind of momentum it loses it again. I feel they did what many proggier bands were prone to doing, that is setting out for length and padding it until the side was full, as opposed to having musical ideas which had the muscle to fill a side. I suppose thinking of it as a song-cycle and not a single song helps, but there's still a lot of filler to my ears. I don't begrudge the band for it, though, because like COS in general it's clearly an experimental work, and the band is trying on so many new ideas and sounds. When it works it works brilliantly--"No One At The Bridge" is one of the great lost rock classics, IMO—but when it misses the mark you can really hear the whiff of the bat through the air. It's kind of awkward. But that's how you learn to hit home runs, you just say f- it and swing the bat hard. OK, suddenly I'm in a baseball metaphor, but you catch my meaning I hope.

Having said all that, I went back and gave the song a re-listen, and I actually enjoyed it more than I remembered. And, also, like the rest of Caress the sound is pretty fantastic. I don't know if they ever managed such a balance between electric and acoustic guitars in the mix. Everything has its own space and doesn't get muddy or bogged down, something I can't even say for "2112."

OK, suddenly I'm in a baseball metaphor, but you catch my meaning I hope. [/Quote]

Nope, I only understand Cricket metaphors :P

But really, that's how I feel about the song too. Without this, we wouldn't have had the stuff that made 70s Rush so awesome!

• Like 1

It's their first really ambitious piece and set them apart from other hard rock bands at the time. It also led the way to 2112 and ultimately Hemispheres. The first time I heard it I was really high too so it made a serious impression. I like the bookend finish because it brings the protagonist from birth to death poetically. It is a very emotional and expressive piece which you can't say about a great deal of their catalog. They were still getting to know each other as well as themselves as writers which could be a knock but I think it's a strength. It is rough around the edges, but so is the rest of CoS. This is the piece that put them on the path to becoming the Rush we know and love.
  • Like 2

I like the other side-long epics better, but I vote for damned good. I'm not a huge fan of the riff that dominates the opening and closing section, so that brings the whole song down. Growing up as a drummer, D&N is cool and serves a purpose to the song, but I don't think it's fair to really judge it.

No One at the Bridge is very good. One of Alex's best solos, and how can you go wrong with ambergris!

Panacea is pretty cool.

The highlight of the piece for me is Bacchus Plateau. It's short and sweet. I'd give anything to hear this live or hear how the song actually ends without the fade. Come on, Geddy! You can sing this with very little tinkering!

I'd say some parts are better than others but overall its pretty damn good. The Necromancer is better.
  • Like 3