• amazing
    • damned good
    • full of potential, but . . .
    • I can listen to it, but it doesn't slay me
    • pretentious and half-baked
    • not my favourite
    • unlistenable
    • none of the above

I have to admit that I often skip this one just because of the length. It's one of those marathon songs you have to be in the mood for (see what I did there?).....

But I listened to it in my car yesterday and was really enjoying it. It's a solid piece of work, in my humble opinion.

• Like 2

I have to admit that I often skip this one just because of the length. It's one of those marathon songs you have to be in the mood for (see what I did there?).....

But I listened to it in my car yesterday and was really enjoying it. It's a solid piece of work, in my humble opinion.

:smoke:

In the mood now?

• Like 3

One of the greatest compositions of all time. There's so much youthful passion in both the playing and lyrics, only matched by 2112, Xanadu and Hemispheres IMO Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

I'd say some parts are better than others but overall its pretty damn good. The Necromancer is better.

I agree 100% and thank God it didn't evolve in something like "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

FOL is one of many highlights from the 70's period for Rush. It was an ambitious song for a band that had only released two albums prior.

Many will disagree but I prefer 20+ mins of Lamneth goodness over any of that Cygnus nonsense.

• Like 1

I'd say some parts are better than others but overall its pretty damn good. The Necromancer is better.

I agree 100% and thank God it didn't evolve in something like "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Tales is the sort of album seventies Rush could only dream of making.

FOL is one of many highlights from the 70's period for Rush. It was an ambitious song for a band that had only released two albums prior.

Many will disagree but I prefer 20+ mins of Lamneth goodness over any of that Cygnus nonsense.

Agreed.

I'm not questioning the music itself (even less that Yes line up!), but just the 80 mins / 4 tracks album format that can be hard to fill from one side and hard to digest from another.

IMHO other Yes' 20 mins masterpieces ("Close To The Edge" and "The Gates Of Delirium") had better luck

• Like 3

Rush subtitled one of their proggiest songs "An Excercise in Self Indulgence" and kept it under ten minutes. I think they had enough self-awareness to not wanna go that far off the deep end.

• Like 1

I think I am going to indulge in seventies Rush. I have lost sight of what made them great.
  • Like 4

Being a person that likes long tunes (well I did when I had a job that it took me 30 minutes to get to in traffic every day) it's one of my favorite long songs...although it's like a bunch of shorter songs tossed together.

This was the first studio album I got from Rush, and it was always a favorite! (you never forget your first) And as someone else said, When I got Archives to "fill in some blanks" (and on 8-track, no less) I still felt it was the superior album of that bunch, and liked it on the whole more than I liked 2112 at the time!

But as far as my favorite LONG Rush songs, it's probably a slight second under Hemispheres, and I'd guess equal with 2112 which I like just as much.

Caress of Steel on a whole is just one of those albums that I need to listen to in it's entirety during one sitting. (LIKE Queen's A Night at the Opera, or Yes's Close to the Edge, Hemispheres, The Who''s Tommy, etc.)

• Like 1