rivenrdell good or skip

nicky6

Rivendell is a great song. It is simple and beautiful, and it holds a lot of personal meaning for me.

Is your name Bilbo by chance? :)

I don't understand?????

No, my name is not Bilbo. :)

Rivendell and the Misty Mountains are both fictional geographic names from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, is the main protagonist in the story.

Blue J, thank you. I never read Lord of the Rings since I was always the type who went the opposite direction of whatever was the current rage. When I was in high school, that was the rage, and it forever turned me off to reading the books.

I feel the some way about Harry Potter. The entire time I worked at Borders it was a huge deal. I even had to put up this huge cardboard castle that displayed the enourmous dvd roll out for the series. A display so big you could walk in it.

This turned me off to the series for ever and I've never read one single word of the books,

You and I both worked at Borders during the same era, then. Yeah, Harry Potter was big stuff.

Rivendell is a great song. It is simple and beautiful, and it holds a lot of personal meaning for me.

I don't understand?????

Rivendell and the Misty Mountains are both fictional geographic names from The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, is the main protagonist in the story.

Blue J, thank you. I never read Lord of the Rings since I was always the type who went the opposite direction of whatever was the current rage. When I was in high school, that was the rage, and it forever turned me off to reading the books.

No worries...I've never read the books, either. My sons love the films, though.

And hey, you got my Samuel Beckett reference yesterday. Extra points for that.

• Like 1

I don't understand?????

Oh seriously? I thought you were kidding that you didn't understand. Especially with all of the movies too.

Yes, i was serious. I was never a big movie fan either. I've never even seen Star Wars. :LOL:

:eh: Sorry to hear that.

Some of my favorite Rivendell lyrics that bring tears to my eyes:

I've traveled now for many miles

It feels so good to see the smiles of

Friends who never left your mind

When you were far away

You feel there's something calling you

You're wanting to return

To where the misty mountains rise and friendly fires burn

A place you can escape the world

Where the dark lord cannot go

Peace of mind and sanctuary by loud water's flow

Stop here for a while until the world,

The world calls you away

Yet you know I've had the feeling

Standing with my senses reeling

This is the place to grow old till

I reach my final day.

Edited by Lorraine

When you were far away

You're wanting to return

The world calls you away

I reach my final day.

If you like the lyrics you should read the books. There are a lot of these kinds of poems in there.

I like the song a lot...I will skip it if I'm in the mood for songs with energy, but I love to relax to this song.

It was also about the 3rd or 4th song I learned on the guitar, so it holds a special place in heart.

• Like 1

Sorry for posting this link yet again, but . . . I really think this is a great version. Shorter, too, if you're not wild about how long the original tune is.

• Like 1

When you were far away

You're wanting to return

The world calls you away

I reach my final day.

If you like the lyrics you should read the books. There are a lot of these kinds of poems in there.

I think the ship has sailed on getting lorraine or narp to check out something new. :LOL:

even though the books are older than either of them!

• Like 1

I don't understand?????

the opposite direction, huh? so you read DUNE instead? just joking, of course.

this type of thinking scares me, honestly. I dismiss a lot of the stuff my friends and peers are into, and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on quality just to fool myself into thinking I'm "different from the herd" or some nonsense. it's hard to approach the stuff people my age are into with an open mind sometimes, but sometimes the general public isn't wrong.

you know, if I'd grown up when you did, I probably would've been that asshole who refused to buy a led zeppelin album.

I don't understand?????

this type of thinking scares me, honestly. I dismiss a lot of the stuff my friends and peers are into, and sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on quality just to fool myself into thinking I'm "different from the herd" or some nonsense. it's hard to approach the stuff people my age are into with an open mind sometimes, but sometimes the general public isn't wrong.

you know, if I'd grown up when you did, I probably would've been that asshole who refused to buy a led zeppelin album.

Bathroy, when you are sixty, if you make it through life that long, I hope you meet yourself as an 18 year old.

I don't understand?????

I agree with this to a degree. It's easy to get into a rut as you get older and kind of lose interest in new things. I'm not sure why that is, but I've seen a lot of people do it. I used to think "I'm not going to watch that movie or read that book because it's popular" when I younger, but as I've gotten older, I'm much more willing to try new stuff. I want to see what's out there. There's so much great music being made now but you can't find it on the radio, you have to look deeper and find bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Symphony X or others that are still making awesome progressive music today.

• Like 1

I think I read an interview once when they were listening to one of their songs in the studio control room (pretty sure it was rivendell) and fell asleep. Yeah that's me. :zzz:

Here is Geddy's interview that confirms my statement.

• Like 1

The band couldn't even stay awake long enough for a first listen after they recorded it..!!

As for me, the song is ..well, it's kinda.. Yawn! ..um ..zzzzzzzzzz

I don't understand?????

I agree with this to a degree. It's easy to get into a rut as you get older and kind of lose interest in new things. I'm not sure why that is, but I've seen a lot of people do it. I used to think "I'm not going to watch that movie or read that book because it's popular" when I younger, but as I've gotten older, I'm much more willing to try new stuff. I want to see what's out there. There's so much great music being made now but you can't find it on the radio, you have to look deeper and find bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Symphony X or others that are still making awesome progressive music today.

It's no business of yours, or Bathory's, how anyone here chooses to live their life.

I never skip it...the song has special meaning to me, as it is the song I lost my...

...hmm, never mind, let's just say it has special memories attached to it for me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Rivendell_illustration.jpg

• Like 1

It used to be a skip for me, but things are changing.............

I'm purchasing a baroque guitar and was thinking of trying to transpose it over to the new instrument.....once I master it well enough.

So, as soon as this new instrument arrives, it will be in fact a study, dissect, and slave over song for a while.

There is, of course, the 20% chance this much exposure to Rivendell could lead to insanity, but it's a chance I must take.

I just pray for 5 or higher on the great d20 in the sky when the time comes.

I don't understand?????

It's no business of yours, or Bathory's, how anyone here chooses to live their life.

Well yes of course. That's obvious. I was just making an observation. No reason to take it personally.

• Like 1

I don't understand?????

Oh seriously? I thought you were kidding that you didn't understand. Especially with all of the movies too.

She has to be putting us on.

Right?