....On The Subject Of Rush's Newer Releases...

presto123

Cleaner sound/production and bringing back odds times more often with a linear approach would go a long way towards sounding like the Rush of old. We loved it when Alex first got caught in this crunchy, distorted, multi tracked guitar phase(coming out of the super clean whimpy guitar phase), but it has run it's course. If Rush make another record production should be first on the priority list instead of last. I'm a fan of CA, but it could have been much better. For all of Rush's talk about changing their approach from record to record, in many respects the are caught in a rut.(pun intended)
  • Like 1

I'm not sure who loves the crunchy distorted guitar tone he has now, but I think it's a big part of the wall of sound they've developed lately. He did his best work when he had the clearer, less distorted tone.
  • Like 4

Another thing is i miss alex's big solo's. he's all about layering and texture now. Some solos on CA but aside from Headlong Flight nothing special.......Wake up Al!!!!!!!!!! i miss it lots.

Mick

Doesn't he have arthritis in his fingers?

if he does i apologise. I still miss it, lol

Mick

Another thing is i miss alex's big solo's. he's all about layering and texture now. Some solos on CA but aside from Headlong Flight nothing special.......Wake up Al!!!!!!!!!! i miss it lots.

Mick

Mick

I'm not sure if it is arthritis, but I do know he has something wrong with his fingers. That may be the reason for the layering and texture these days. I know nothing about playing a guitar, but maybe his fingers aren't as nimble and can't move as fast as they used to. In short: maybe he can no longer do what you want him to.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I'm not sure if it is arthritis, but I do know he has something wrong with his fingers. That may be the reason for the layering and texture these days. I know nothing about playing a guitar, but maybe his fingers aren't as nimble and can't move as fast as they used to. In short: maybe he can no longer do what you want him to.

possible. Aging sucks, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

possible. Aging sucks, lol

Mick

You don't have to play fast to do a great solo. Limelight for example. I also miss his solos, and the ones he does do get buried in the mix.

• Like 3

He actually has psoriasis which would make his fingers very dry and sore (speaking from experience :codger: )

Actually it's psoriatic arthritis. Sounds similar but very different.

• Like 1

I think pretty much every aspect of Rush has worsened since about 2002...possibly even 1996. Test for Echo has some good songs on it and very good production, but to me their last really good album, factoring in everything, was Counterparts.

I find that I return often to just about every Rush album except for the Test for Echo - Clockwork Angels run of albums. I can't quite put my finger on just one reason why I don't like those albums as much. I think pretty much everything has gone in the wrong direction...Geddy's singing, Neil's drumming, Alex's guitar parts, production, melody, song structure, etc.

That's not to say I don't like the random song here or there (I like some of them a lot), but just that, as a whole, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels contain, IMO, many more clunkers than their previous albums.

• Like 2

Not sure how far back we can consider albums "newer" releases. Snakes and Arrows was released eight years ago.

It's more in the albums released rather than the time frame, I would think.

Vapor Trails forward I'd consider "recent". I'm a fan of the heavier crunch/tone, but I think it's time to move on from Nick R. as producer for a fresh prospective.

I think pretty much every aspect of Rush has worsened since about 2002...possibly even 1996. Test for Echo has some good songs on it and very good production, but to me their last really good album, factoring in everything, was Counterparts.

I find that I return often to just about every Rush album except for the Test for Echo - Clockwork Angels run of albums. I can't quite put my finger on just one reason why I don't like those albums as much. I think pretty much everything has gone in the wrong direction...Geddy's singing, Neil's drumming, Alex's guitar parts, production, melody, song structure, etc.

That's not to say I don't like the random song here or there (I like some of them a lot), but just that, as a whole, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, and Clockwork Angels contain, IMO, many more clunkers than their previous albums.

I pretty much agree with you, except that I happen to think Test For Echo is, for the most part, a good album.

He actually has psoriasis which would make his fingers very dry and sore (speaking from experience :codger: )

Actually it's psoriatic arthritis. Sounds similar but very different.

He got arthritis? Ain't nobody got time for dat!!!

Edited by Digital Dad

I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any three albums in the band's catalog.

I don't know about any three, but they are far from the weakest efforts.

I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any three albums in the band's catalog.

I would too, so I could watch them lose
  • Like 2

Snakes & Arrows isn't so great, but Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails can go up against any album that isn't PeW or MP and win, easily.