Album with best "clarity?"

antiquark

Which album do you all think has the greatest "audio clarity?" In that, when you put the headphones on, you can hear things in precise detail? Maybe what I'm asking is, which album has the best mix?

I myself am not sure... each album has good points and bad points regarding the overall "sound." Some are muddy, some are clear, but sometimes the clearness gets into the tinny range. Hard to explain!

Edited by antiquark

I think Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures should share the clarity crown.

What you said and add Test For Echo....now if I could just find where I put that sucker?

Hemispheres for LIFE!!!!!!

and MP ain't to shabby either.

Mick

MP yes. And PeW.

• Like 2

Through a decent audio system - I have Reference 3A de Capo BE monitors powered by an LSA Statement integrated fed by either a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista cd player or a Well Tempered Simplex turntable with a Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge - Presto, Power Windows, Hemispheres, and HYF sound crystal - in essence most albums before the muddy wall of sound days of the mid-90's and beyond. Most of the recent releases are mastered at toi high a level to have any discerning clarity or audiophile rewards.

HYF, however, in particular, offers up a bunch of sonic easter eggs when played at a decent volume.

MP and especially PW are clear but brittle and bright in their production. The bass production is downplayed in these albums.

Edited by coventry

I think for the most part, most of the studio albums sound pretty good up until Vapor Trails. The only exception being Presto, which besides being thin sounding doesn't have as much clarity. I would give Counterparts and Power Windows an honorable mention because frequency response was utilized well on both of those albums. I still think that since CDs have become popular, the quality of recorded audio music has declined.
  • Like 1

Prior to VT i think Signals had the suckiest priduction. Hate it.

The album is great but the guitar sound is horrible. Not a fan, but i am gonna hunt down some decent bootlegs of that era. Any particularly good live recordings of Signals songs?

I'm thinking Counterparts. I like that mix.

To me, Presto was lacking something - maybe it was to clean?

I think it was the lack of depth and dirt. MP is so good sounding because of the dirt on the bass. It gives it some growl. I think you make a good point that it can be too clean.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Counterparts. I like that mix.

To me, Presto was lacking something - maybe it was to clean?

I think it was the lack of depth and dirt. MP is so good sounding because of the dirt on the bass. It gives it some growl. I think you make a good point that it can be too clean.

Presto has no bottom end. It sounds tinny because of that. Geddy sounds like he singing from down the hall somewhere and Neil's drums sound really metallic like he's slapping an aluminum sheet.

• Like 2

Through a decent audio system - I have Reference 3A de Capo BE monitors powered by an LSA Statement integrated fed by either a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista cd player or a Well Tempered Simplex turntable with a Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge - Presto, Power Windows, Hemispheres, and HYF sound crystal - in essence most albums before the muddy wall of sound days of the mid-90's and beyond. Most of the recent releases are mastered at toi high a level to have any discerning clarity or audiophile rewards.

HYF, however, in particular, offers up a bunch of sonic easter eggs when played at a decent volume.

MP and especially PW are clear but brittle and bright in their production. The bass production is downplayed in these albums.

I have no idea what you just said. Haha

• Like 2

In essence - speakers powered by amp fed by either cd player or turntable.

Most Rush vinyl isn't much to write home about either. SnA vinyl has been played twice and then never again. For that matter, the same can be said for the CD.

The bass exception on Presto are the Taurus pedals in "HoF" - with a good full-range speaker or a good sub, they shake the room.

On Signals, "NWM", "AK", and "Losing It" all have clarity despite the overall muddiness of the album.

And P/G has its moments, too. Neil's drums in "Red Lenses" are exquisitely recorded and thunder through the room. The synth instrumentals on 'Afterimage" are also well produced and swirl around the soundscape, never hiding the guitar - which sounds fantastic until Alex starts chording, then it gets lost in the mix.

Edit: on HYF, the songs are all so layered that a good system reveals things you just can't hear through a car stereo or through Best Buy-grade speakers. I feel like I pick out new layers all the time.

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1

In essence - speakers powered by amp fed by either cd player or turntable.

Most Rush vinyl isn't much to write home about either. SnA vinyl has been played twice and then never again. For that matter, the same can be said for the CD.

The bass exception on Presto are the Taurus pedals in "HoF" - with a good full-range speaker or a good sub, they shake the room.

On Signals, "NWM", "AK", and "Losing It" all have clarity despite the overall muddiness of the album.

And P/G has its moments, too. Neil's drums in "Red Lenses" are exquisitely recorded and thunder through the room. The synth instrumentals on 'Afterimage" are also well produced and swirl around the soundscape, never hiding the guitar - which sounds fantastic until Alex starts chording, then it gets lost in the mix.

Edit: on HYF, the songs are all so layered that a good system reveals things you just can't hear through a car stereo or through Best Buy-grade speakers. I feel like I pick out new layers all the time.

Very cool. Thank you for that.

I've never really had a great sound system. It's always been average at best.