Who here does NOT hate Hold Your Fire?

fraroc

It took me a long time to warm up to the last two songs. I would love to hear more off this live. High Water has a great percolating groove. I would love to hear this tune with the Fender Jazz.

I've always loved it. My favorites are Time Stand Still, Prime Mover, and, yes, Tai Shan. The rest is all pretty good except for High Water. Great album!

I love High Water! But glad to see someone give Tai Shan the love it so desperately deserves.

You know, I figure if even the guys don't like it and think it was a mistake, it must be bad.

Yeah but they also think all of CoS is bad, so you can't go by that.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to warm up to the last two songs. I would love to hear more off this live. High Water has a great percolating groove. I would love to hear this tune with the Fender Jazz.

I don't think that would happen, I'm pretty sure he recorded that song with a 5-string Wal.

I don't hate it. But I am pretty "meh" about it. I view it as a rather large disappointment after the masterpiece Grace Under Pressure and the very good Power Windows.

My opinion on Force Ten has cooled, probably just cause I'm sick of it like everyone is of Closer To The Heart.

I'm in the minority when I say I think Time Stand Still isn't a great song. It's not a bad song but not great. Good musicianship but in reality just a jangly pop tune foreshadowing the crap they put out in the next two albums.

Open Secrets has good guitar, however sparse.

Second Nature is not my kind of music. If you're into that kind of stuff then more power to you but I have no love for this one.

If they released an EP out of Prime Mover-Turn The Page I'd go bananas. That 4 song run is just fantastic and Lock And Key is one of their finest songs IMO, and a stellar showing from Alex.

Then yeah, two of the worst songs they ever recorded at the end.

You take 4 awesome songs, 1 okay but burnt out song, 2 mediocre songs, and 3 of their worst songs ever and that is Hold Your Fire to me. Not awful, but certainly not one of their finest. Definitely a large step backward after that impressive run of Hemispheres-Power Windows.

Let us know what you think of it a few minutes before you board the plane to come back from England. I think it's plausible that you don't appreciate the song simply because you're younger. Just sayin'

Hold Your Fire is perfect. Every single song makes the album what it is- flawless.

Hold Your Fire and (hey, Mick!) Hemispheres are my two favorite Rush albums.

Hold Your Fire is perfect. Every single song makes the album what it is- flawless.

I love you BJ!

I love you BJ!

I love you too, Seggers. :P

Edited by Blue J

I loved it when it first came out. I thought that they had finally perfected that eighties sound that they were going after...lots of layered sounds, upbeat rhythms. But over time, it now sounds a bit dated to me. These days, when I want some 80's retro music, I'd much rather listen to YES's 90215 (which I did Christmas Eve, wrapping presents). That one's a production gem.

Put me in the High Water fan club, though. I love that track.

I don't hate it. But I am pretty "meh" about it. I view it as a rather large disappointment after the masterpiece Grace Under Pressure and the very good Power Windows.

My opinion on Force Ten has cooled, probably just cause I'm sick of it like everyone is of Closer To The Heart.

I'm in the minority when I say I think Time Stand Still isn't a great song. It's not a bad song but not great. Good musicianship but in reality just a jangly pop tune foreshadowing the crap they put out in the next two albums.

Open Secrets has good guitar, however sparse.

Second Nature is not my kind of music. If you're into that kind of stuff then more power to you but I have no love for this one.

If they released an EP out of Prime Mover-Turn The Page I'd go bananas. That 4 song run is just fantastic and Lock And Key is one of their finest songs IMO, and a stellar showing from Alex.

Then yeah, two of the worst songs they ever recorded at the end.

You take 4 awesome songs, 1 okay but burnt out song, 2 mediocre songs, and 3 of their worst songs ever and that is Hold Your Fire to me. Not awful, but certainly not one of their finest. Definitely a large step backward after that impressive run of Hemispheres-Power Windows.

Let us know what you think of it a few minutes before you board the plane to come back from England. I think it's plausible that you don't appreciate the song simply because you're younger. Just sayin'

I think you're referring to the lyrics, something I've never bothered to pay attention to in any song.

I just pictured Segue at a concert.

Ged: We're gonna do something we don't normally do. Tai shan

Stunned silence from crowd.

Ged: Yea i don't like it either

a lone voice rings out.

Segue: EAT MY POOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

This will happen.

I think you need a new shtick. :LOL:

A poo shtick.

Like a jalapeno on a stick. :LOL:

Jalapenos are my life.

If it aint hot i aint happy.

Have a corn dog or two. :)

I don't think that would happen, I'm pretty sure he recorded that song with a 5-string Wal.

Yes he probably did, but live he could do it on the Jazz.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the only one where he used the 5 string is on Lock And Key...
  • Like 1

It's my favorite Rush album.

Yay!

Share the top spot with AFTK for me. Impossible to truly choose between them. And I hope this means you also love Tai Shan and High Water?

I think it is ridiculous how people "love" the rest of the album and regard these two songs as being such hideously weak efforts. They together end the album beautifully!

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the only one where he used the 5 string is on Lock And Key...

I'll be honest, I don't know. I remember he used a wal on the album but I never remember hearring a 5. I knew he had one, but I didn't know he used it on record. I was never a fan of the wal sound.

Yay!

Share the top spot with AFTK for me. Impossible to truly choose between them. And I hope this means you also love Tai Shan and High Water?

I think it is ridiculous how people "love" the rest of the album and regard these two songs as being such hideously weak efforts. They together end the album beautifully!

Yes, I like Tai Shan and High Water, particularly High Water. Despite my liking of these tunes, I can say they are the weak efforts. They do seem apart from the rest of the album. But I still play them. Turn the Page seems like a brilliant album closer with it's big climax.
  • Like 1

Yay!

Turn the Page seems like a brilliant album closer with it's big climax.

Super true. For what it is (an 80's album) it would be pretty flawless this way...

Yay!

Yes, I like Tai Shan and High Water, particularly High Water. Despite my liking of these tunes, I can say they are the weak efforts. They do seem apart from the rest of the album. But I still play them. Turn the Page seems like a brilliant album closer with it's big climax.

Actually, Turn The Page would have been great closing.

But I love those last two. Especially Tai Shan. Such a beautiful, quirky song!

I loved Hold Your Fire right away. My memories of that concert at Reynold's Coliseum are among my most cherished. When I first bought the album, those last two songs I did like, but they seemed somehow different than the others. If the running sequence of the songs had been different it might not have been so obvious. Tommy Shaw of Styx opened that concert.

This Hold Your Fire love is sensational!

For ages I thought I was the only one who loved it this much!

• Like 1

Fans that love it typically like pop music (in some form or fashion) as well. Fans that don't love it are typically those that only listen to hard rock or metal and believe Rush should "stick" to that format. (I'm sure to get blasted by others by this comment).

Fans that love it typically like pop music (in some form or fashion) as well. Fans that don't love it are typically those that only listen to hard rock or metal and believe Rush should "stick" to that format. (I'm sure to get blasted by others by this comment).

Good job we know better and love it all!

• Like 1

I tend to like music that brings about certain memories or associations, usually pleasant ones. I graduated high school 3 months prior to HYF release and every time I hear that album, especially Turn the Page, I think of finally saying goodbye to that hell. And I also remember that wonderful concert where I hung out by the tour buses and a guy cooking steaks and burgers on a grill which I think was for the band and crew and then finally waiting with many other fans for the band to emerge from the venue to be on their way.
  • Like 3