Hemispheres vs. Presto: The Final Battle

Lorraine

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you think is better and like more?

• Hemispheres
    • Presto
    • Both stink

Little did I know when I labeled this thread "The Final Battle" what that would turn out to mean. The only intention I had in starting this thread was to see how the two albums would do when put up against each other.

My very sincere apologies to all for upsetting the forum.

• Like 2

Little did I know when I labeled this thread "The Final Battle" what that would turn out to mean. The only intention I had in starting this thread was to see how the two albums would do when put up against each other.

You sly dog!

Well, no matter the intention, many are loving the result!

• Like 1

Lorraine you unintentionally Defeated a troll.........so it's all good, lol. I think that desperately needed to happen.

It was was coming for months with savage.

Mick

http://theemob.org/wp-content/uploads/cadaver-with-toe-tag-troll-label.png
  • Like 3

Lorraine you unintentionally Defeated a troll.........so it's all good, lol. I think that desperately needed to happen.

It was was coming for months with savage.

Mick

http://theemob.org/wp-content/uploads/cadaver-with-toe-tag-troll-label.png

:laughing guy:

The mighty Lorraine- Unintentional troll Slayer, lol

Miclk

• Like 2

Savage's admitted he liked and admired Spaghetti......so that right there tells ya something, lol. He didn't bother me......but once again he made his bed ya know?

Mick

I liked his posts so long as he stayed away from the personal insults (which he seemed to be doing more often recently). Circlejerks are boring, if everyone's in accord then there's little purpose in discussion, it's just appreciating details at that point.

He wasn't as bad as spaghetti lee, spaghetti lee was mindless in every way possible. There was more to sg26's humor than potty language:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90753-anyone-here-that-doesnt-like-hemispheres/page__view__findpost__p__3378139

Edited by Mr. Not

I don't know what you're apologizing for. You've done us all a favor. The thread should be renamed "the final straw" instead.

• Like 3

So Hemi is the clear winner of course, but after the Final Battle, does the Awesome (Hemi) and the Sucky (Presto) become united in a single, mediocre sphere for the eclectic Rush fan?

Oh, come on!

I prefer to think of it as a single, wonderful, multi-faceted sphere.

Like a glorious Rush disco ball. Nothing says disco like Rush! :7up:

Presto has The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Presto, Available Light, Red Tide & Anagram (among other songs). Its a very good album.

Hemispheres has Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa & Hemispheres. Considered to be one of Rush's best.

Should be a easy vote for Hemispheres. Instead I find myself voting for Presto. Go figure. I can't explain it, yet thats the vote I am casting.

Presto has The Pass, War Paint, Scars, Presto, Available Light, Red Tide & Anagram (among other songs). Its a very good album.

Hemispheres has Circumstances, The Trees, La Villa & Hemispheres. Considered to be one of Rush's best.

Should be a easy vote for Hemispheres. Instead I find myself voting for Presto. Go figure. I can't explain it, yet thats the vote I am casting.

Same. I admit Hems is flawless. And yet...I love Presto, warts and all!

Cannot vote hems higher than an album with both Chain Lightning AND Available Light.

Oops...

I did a SavageGrace...

Edited by Segue Myles

Same. I admit Hems is flawless. And yet...I love Presto, warts and all!

Cannot vote hems higher than an album with both Chain Lightning AND Available Light.

I think it is a little different for me. I don't find Hemispheres to be flawless. Conventional wisdom of the masses is that Hemispheres is one of Rush's best but I just don't find that. The 2nd side has the magnificent "Circumstances" and "La Villa". It has the very good "The Tress". Obviously I like "Circumstances" and La Villa more than "The Trees". To me, the problem with the album is side one.

I find the title track to be decent, ok, solid, acceptable, enjoyable. Nothing really wrong with it. But nothing really special either. Especially when compared with some of their work on prior albums (e.g. 2112, By-Tor, Closer to the Heart, Fly By Night, Xanadu, Something 4 Nothing, Beneath Between & Behind) or when compared with what was to come (e.g. Tom Sawer, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Freewill, Subdivisions, Time Stand Still, Big Money, Presto, The Pass, Middletown Dreams, Grand Designs, Everyday Glory, Far Cry, Working them Angeles, The Larger Bowl etc. etc.)

Obviously I am comparing it to a lot of what I consider to be heavyweight Rush songs and that my point. When matched up with what I consider to be big time Rush songs it just comes up lacking. And when half your album sort of comes up lacking, well the entire album lacks something in the end.

Presto just chugs along with a strong level of consistency. Its a strange album in a way, but it does not have such a big chunk that is just so, well, ok. Most of it is somewhat better than ok. In some cases, much better than ok.

Well, what do you know? I guess I was just able to explain my vote!!!

• Like 1

What a tough choice.

Hemispheres but just by a bit. Presto is very near to my heart of hearts but Hemispheres is just so damn heavy. and so so good.

Hemispheres for the head, Presto for the heart. One can't be better than the other. Both are far better than Roll the Bones.

• Like 2

What a tough choice.

Hemispheres but just by a bit. Presto is very near to my heart of hearts but Hemispheres is just so damn heavy. and so so good.

Hemispheres for the head, Presto for the heart. One can't be better than the other. Both are far better than Roll the Bones.

You are my favourite.

I am going to keep you.

Every second of Hemispheres is something that I can ingest daily and never tire of...Presto has Superconductor and that alone causes me to cast my vote toward Hemispheres.
  • Like 2

Every second of Hemispheres is something that I can ingest daily and never tire of...Presto has Superconductor and that alone causes me to cast my vote toward Hemispheres.

Presto has Chain Lightning. WINNER!