Hemispheres vs. Presto: The Final Battle

Lorraine

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you think is better and like more?

• Hemispheres
    • Presto
    • Both stink

I love both albums. I don't buy into the notions of either fuzz or fluff. Presto has plenty of substance.

But I think Hemispheres is the superior album, by a significant margin.

• Like 2

I love both albums. I don't buy into the notions of either fuzz or fluff. Presto has plenty of substance.

But I think Hemispheres is the superior album, by a significant margin.

Yes but like Bluefoxyliciousness, you still love Presto.

And despite my great love for Presto, joking aside, Hemispheres is infinitely more powerful and it is also exceptionally beautiful. I just never desire to play it, but when I do it is like a religious experience!

• Like 1

Yes, I do love it!

I think you and I feel the inverse about both records, in terms of their staying power, if you will.

Presto is wonderful, and a favorite of mine for sentimental reasons. But I play Hemispheres much more frequently, mainly because the music itself reaches deeper into me. Presto's songs just don't do that for me as much. And for you, I would imagine the opposite is true.

Yes, I do love it!

I think you and I feel the inverse about both records, in terms of their staying power, if you will.

Presto is wonderful, and a favorite of mine for sentimental reasons. But I play Hemispheres much more frequently, mainly because the music itself reaches deeper into me. Presto's songs just don't do that for me as much. And for you, I would imagine the opposite is true.

Everything everyone feels towards Hemispheres is how I feel with Topographic Oceans, Close To The Edge, Karmacode, Rubber Soul, Grace Under Pressure and A Farewell To Kings.

Hemispheres is a great, GREAT album but something is missing for me. However, Presto has Chain Lightning, The Pass, Presto and Available Light. And my heart moves to their beat. I really, really adore the album, and a lot of it is due to Geddy's superb vocals on this album. He really, really hits a nerve on this album and whilst I admire the fire he displays on Hems, his restraint on Presto and the crystal clear beauty of his voice, combined with some exceptionally playful lyrics and bouyant melodies, leave my jaw on the floor. Yes, I love the seventies. But music is music, and Presto, the same with Hold Your Fire, leaves me feeling blissful and happy. Sometimes, I don't want to rock out, but I still want to be moved. Presto is perfect for that!

And I think 2112, AFTK and CoS hit the heartstrings more than Hems. Hems is stellar, but emotionally, I am still connecting to it.

I really, really love it. But it is more out of admiration than genuine feeling.

I think it probably has something to do with song length. But also Hemispheres is an album that you want to sit down and listen to..to take it all in. Presto is something you could listen to while doing housework or sitting on the toilet. :LOL:
  • Like 2

I think it probably has something to do with song length. But also Hemispheres is an album that you want to sit down and listen to..to take it all in. Presto is something you could listen to while doing housework or sitting on the toilet. :LOL:

My second favourite album (joint first on a good day) is Topographic Oceans. In one sitting, I can listen to this, Bitches Brew, CTTE, Relayer and CoS without budging an inch.

Song length has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of Hemispheres. I used to play 2112 endlessly on repeat back in the day, and I still adore it. Hems is great. But I can honestly say, Presto tops it for me.

Listening to Presto is like reading an Archie comic book.

Listening to Hemispheres is like reading a classic novel.

:LOL:

Two classic novels come to mind: Les Miserable and A Tale Of Two Cities. I prefer Two Cities.

My point? Of all the GREAT EPIC RUSH ALBUMS, from Cos-Hems, Hems comes last. The other three I would take over Presto any day of the week.

So, I see your point. But you need to bear in mind I also greatly love complex music, and when it comes to Rush, I don't see Hemispheres as their creative peak. A Farewell To Kings is.

Two classic novels come to mind: Les Miserable and A Tale Of Two Cities. I prefer Two Cities.

My point? Of all the GREAT EPIC RUSH ALBUMS, from Cos-Hems, Hems comes last. The other three I would take over Presto any day of the week.

So, I see your point. But you need to bear in mind I also greatly love complex music, and when it comes to Rush, I don't see Hemispheres as their creative peak. A Farewell To Kings is.

Are you a professional? If not, my opinion is a valid as your own. :)

I don't have to bear anything in mind. When I listen to Hemispheres, the fact that Segue Myles on TRF prefers Presto doesn't trouble me in the least.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Are you a professional? If not, my opinion is a valid as your own. :)

I completely agree! Hence why I speak for my favourite albums purely from my perspective.

We each find things to love about each and every Rush album that is unique to us. Hemispheres is terrific, and a top ten album for me. But it gets the praise it deserves. However, Presto belongs to a different genre entirely and I think it is as wonderful in its own way as Hems or AFTK is. It is a much better commercial pop album than, say Yes' Big Generator or Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA. I will be vocal in this thread for Presto.

Now if this thread was Presto vs. Moving Pictures, I would gladly rush to support the mighty MP!

I will be vocal in this thread for Presto.

Let me assure you that you have succeeded in doing so.

Haha...but do not forget I also revealed my love for Hems! I rank it only just outside my top five (number seven) and every album from CoS to Presto is amongst my most treasured possessions!

• Like 1

No votes for "Both stink."

Just thought I'd point that out. I thought it deserved to be noted.

Spag Lee woulda trolled that button!

Haha...I haven't thought about that sad little troll-y troll for quite a stretch.

:LOL: I forgot it was even an option.

Anyone that would have voted for that can't be much of a Rush fan. I added that option for fun anyway. I never seriously considered that someone would actually place their vote there.

• Like 1

Haha...I haven't thought about that sad little troll-y troll for quite a stretch.

I liked him more than SavageGrace. Arg, any guy who treats a woman the way he did Lorraine deserves a wallop, whether or not he meant it as funny.

ggggrrrrr...and every now and then I find a SpagLee post, and I crack a smile. But yeah, I am so glad he is gone!

• Like 1

I don't see how anyone couldn't think about him. He's brought up on a regular basis. For someone whom many claimed to dislike, he sure is discussed a lot. :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

I don't see how anyone couldn't think about him. He's brought up on a regular basis. For someone who many claimed to dislike, he sure is discussed a lot. :LOL:

Greatness is often overlooked in its time!

• Like 1

I don't see how anyone couldn't think about him. He's brought up on a regular basis. For someone who many claimed to dislike, he sure is discussed a lot. :LOL:

Then there is hope for us yet, Segue! Maybe after we are gone, they will write epic novels about us. :cool:

Then there is hope for us yet, Segue! Maybe after we are gone, they will write epic novels about us. :cool:

Can I be an Archie comic? haha

Segue, forgive me if my posts sound clipped. I am not in the best frame of mind today. :hug2:

Me neither hence the ultra snobbiness!

Hemispheres as an album is far to short to me. Oh i love it so.

Mick

Me too! But much less.

• Like 1