The GUN thread

physics23

Well, I finally decided on my 1911... Stopped by Gander on my way back from Gainesville, and for once the gun section was empty of customers. Had a great sales rep...Looked at new rifles and AR's... Looked at the handguns, Colts, Sigs, Springfields but keep coming back to this one...Just felt good in my Hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/RushForum/081201_143400.jpg

A Kimber Tactical Pro II

http://www.kimberamerica.com/uploads/produ...cticalproii.pdf

Going shooting later 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Aug 12 2011, 02:01 PM)
Well, I finally decided on my 1911... Stopped by Gander on my way back from Gainesville, and for once the gun section was empty of customers. Had a great sales rep...Looked at new rifles and AR's... Looked at the handguns, Colts, Sigs, Springfields but keep coming back to this one...Just felt good in my Hand.

A Kimber Tactical Pro II

That is a nice handgun you got there, my acquaintance! Read some of the specs, looks like a fine M1911.

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Aug 12 2011, 02:51 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 10 2011, 03:39 PM)
Ok, I had that wrong... it was a Colt .38

Here are some pics.  Something very interesting about this gun is apparently the barrel was removed, shortened and reinserted.  You can tell if you look at the barrel stamping in the closeup photo where the lettering goes into the housing.  Guess that barrel was too long for their quick-draw?!?  LOL  biggrin.gif

The patent is 1884 but I don't know if that is gun mfg. year as well?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/IMAG0103.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/IMAG0105.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/IMAG0104.jpg

You need to fix that up...nice collectors piece

Not sure how collectible this gun is with the chopped barrel.

I've also heard that most of the time it is better to not try to restore old guns, decreases their value.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Aug 12 2011, 03:01 PM)

A Kimber Tactical Pro II

Great shooting...200 rounds of 45acp so far, not a single jam or any problem...will continue to break it in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/RushForum/081201_140900.jpg

5 at 5 yards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/RushForum/081201_141600.jpg

5 at 25 yards

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 14 2011, 03:33 PM)
You heard right! The only thing you should do is clean it normally and keep it oiled.

I'll let you know your revolver's approximate value tomorrow, I left my price guide at work.

Thanks Jack. Did you ever get a chance to look up the value? I'm kinda interested.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 20 2011, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 14 2011, 03:33 PM)
You heard right! The only thing you should do is clean it normally and keep it oiled.

I'll let you know your revolver's approximate value tomorrow, I left my price guide at work.

Thanks Jack. Did you ever get a chance to look up the value? I'm kinda interested.

Oh crap! Sorry, man, I forgot. I'll write myself a note to check on it tomorrow.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 26 2011, 06:04 PM)
I know you'd thought I'd forgotten about you, right? Sorry, man. But hopefully this news will make you feel better. You are the proud owner of a Colt New Army revolver that appears (underline and emphasize "appears") to have been a part of a special order due to the cropped barrel. In really good condition it would be worth around $2K. Based on the pics, I'd rate yours as being in fair condition so it's probably worth around $500 to $800. 

Nice piece of history you've got there, sir!

No problem man, I'm in no hurry and thanks for going to the trouble to look this info up for me. Wow, I had no idea this gun was worth anything. I thought the purchaser cropped the barrel so that's great to find out that possibly it was made that way. Not that I'd sell it but nice to think it might be collectible.

Appreciate it... great to know the history on something that was handed down in my family.

Ordered an airsoft Heckler & Koch USP Match online. Arriving around 9/14.

I'm only 18 and don't have a license to own or carry, so none of the good stuff.

Example of USP Match:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4392/img0351jn6.jpg

The black component attached to the end of the slide may look like a compensator, but it is simply a weight to reduce recoil. Matches were discontinued in 1999. They were primarily popular for competition shooting. Chambered in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP

Since it's the 100th anniversary of John Moses Brownings' masterpiece, I put a Rock Island Armory 1911 on layaway yesterday.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 29 2011, 12:54 PM)
Gander Mtn has 2 handguns on sale this week for ~ $350...

S&W Sigma Series 9mm
SigSauer P250

Looking for a target shooting gun primarily. Any preference?

The Sig. Definitely. yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 4 2011, 01:19 PM)

S&W Sigma Series 9mm
SigSauer P250

The Beretta PX4 Storm Compact is on sale right now at Gander Mountain and I liked the feel of that one alot. It's also single/double action which would make target shooting much easier.

Thinking about going with that one. JA - what do you think?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Oct 4 2011, 01:40 PM)

S&W Sigma Series 9mm
SigSauer P250

The Beretta PX4 Storm Compact is on sale right now at Gander Mountain and I liked the feel of that one alot. It's also single/double action which would make target shooting much easier.

If the Beretta feels best to you then that's the one to go with. I tell everybody that I can recommend x or y the livelong day but ultimately you should shoot what you like best. If it feels good then that's going to help your shooting a lot!

Beretta is also well known for quality. I've got a grudge against them because I hate the M4, but that's my prejudiced and biased opinion! I also don't like Glock because I think they're ugly, but I can't argue with their reliability.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 4 2011, 02:31 PM)

S&W Sigma Series 9mm
SigSauer P250

If the Beretta feels best to you then that's the one to go with. I tell everybody that I can recommend x or y the livelong day but ultimately you should shoot what you like best. If it feels good then that's going to help your shooting a lot!

Beretta is also well known for quality. I've got a grudge against them because I hate the M4, but that's my prejudiced and biased opinion! I also don't like Glock because I think they're ugly, but I can't argue with their reliability.

Good advice. I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm that I love for target shooting. It has a silky smooth action and it looks and feels good. I think you really need to shoot a box of ammo through a gun before you buy it. Like JA said, if it feels good then that's the gun for you. Others may not like it as much. But I can vouch for the quality of the Beretta.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 10 2011, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 4 2011, 02:31 PM)

S&W Sigma Series 9mm
SigSauer P250

Good advice. I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm that I love for target shooting. It has a silky smooth action and it looks and feels good. I think you really need to shoot a box of ammo through a gun before you buy it. Like JA said, if it feels good then that's the gun for you. Others may not like it as much. But I can vouch for the quality of the Beretta.

How do you go about shooting a box of ammo thru a gun before you buy it?

We bought it on Sat, so can pick it up today. Already have my safe and a trigger lock. My almost 18 yr old son is responsible, and my daughter hates guns so the extra security might not be needed, but I take no chances.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that the sale they had on the Beretta was so popular that the only one 3 left at Gander Mountain in the state were display models. We ended up taking the one by us. It was in perfect condition and no live rounds ever went thru it.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I WILL BE ATTENDING SHOT SHOW 2012! I've got a friend who owns a gun store and is going and he's listed me as one of his employees and gotten me a pass! It's also in Vegas and I've never been there so that's cool as well and as an extra added bonus my brother is also attending!

Here's what I'll be seeing/doing: Shot Show 2012. Les Stroud, Bear Grylls, and Larry the Cable Guy will all be there and I like those guys so that'll be cool. Les and Bear will be signing so I'm bringing their survival manuals to be autographed.