The GUN thread

physics23

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 7 2011, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Dec 7 2011, 01:26 PM)
Jack, show report please, for those of us whom missed it. Bet it was gooood!

yes.gif

The show hasn't heppened yet, but consider it done! I'll be posting pics and impressions from the road. I'm also coming back laden down because I intend to snag all the free swag I can get my hands on! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 9 2011, 01:40 PM)

yes.gif

The show hasn't heppened yet, but consider it done! I'll be posting pics and impressions from the road. I'm also coming back laden down because I intend to snag all the free swag I can get my hands on! laugh.gif

If there's any Beretta stuff - grab one for me smile.gif

So, I'm thinking about getting a revolver. I just want something that's fun to shoot, and most importantly something that shoots dead straight. It's mostly just going to be for toying around at the range, and maybe as something to keep 'under the mattress' at home. wink.gif Thinking maybe in the range of a .44 mag, but I'm not really sure. I don't have a ton of experience/knowlege about many hand guns.

Anyone have any advice?

Just got done sighting in a few rifles tonight, with tracers!!!

DAMN those are soooo coooool!!!!!!

2 AR-15's, spitting rounds as fast as we can spit them, ......

...just awesome.....

GOOD STUFF!!!!

I wish I could explain it......

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 9 2011, 05:45 PM)
So, I'm thinking about getting a revolver. I just want something that's fun to shoot, and most importantly something that shoots dead straight. It's mostly just going to be for toying around at the range, and maybe as something to keep 'under the mattress' at home. wink.gif Thinking maybe in the range of a .44 mag, but I'm not really sure. I don't have a ton of experience/knowlege about many hand guns.

Anyone have any advice?

Find an older Smith & Wesson revolver in .357mag or .38special. Shoot the .38 for target and use the .357mag for self defense.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 9 2011, 06:45 PM)

Anyone have any advice?

If you're on a budget Taurus is the way to go. They're every bit as good as Smith & Wesson and cost a lot less.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 9 2011, 02:40 PM)

yes.gif

You lucky ass!

QUOTE (Khan @ Dec 29 2011, 11:16 AM)

yes.gif

You lucky ass!

laugh.gif

So far I'm gonna meet Bob Munden, Jerry Micaluk, Bear Grylls, Les Stroud, R. Lee Ermey, Ted Nugent, and Larry the Cable Guy!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 9 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Dec 29 2011, 11:16 AM)

yes.gif

You lucky ass!

laugh.gif

So far I'm gonna meet Bob Munden, Jerry Micaluk, Bear Grylls, Les Stroud, R. Lee Ermey, Ted Nugent, and Larry the Cable Guy!

http://www.shotshow.org/

Thanks to Cygnus for reminding me that I'd forgotten to post about my Shot Show experience like I promised.

It was a real good time and there were literally acres of products for you to check out and it's been calculated that if you wanted to visit every booth over the five days of the show during the show hours, you'd be able to only spend eleven seconds at each booth, that's how frickin' immense the thing is! Being a wilderness survival instructor, I focused on visiting the dealers that sold that kind of gear. I got to visit with just about every knife manufacturer you can think of, and I'm pleased to announce that the venerable Camillus Knife Company is fixing to come back in a big way and are featuring a line of very affordable survival knives designed by Les Stroud himself! For a preview, go here: Camillus Knives. Les was there and I actually got to meet him and talked with him for a good ten minutes about being a survival instructor, what a cool guy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/LS.jpg

I also got to meet Bear Grylls, but since the line was so long and he was only there for four hours there was no time to chat. I also think he has social anxiety disorder because he barely said two words to anybody. You could tell he was trying to be friendly, though. I also have field-tested his survival knife by Gerber and I unfortunately can't recommend them. Do a web search and you can see for yourself that the general consensus is that they suck. Too bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/BG.jpg

Troy "Choot 'em!" Landry and his so Jacob from the History Channel's Swamp People were there, too. What a cool couple of guys! Very warm and personable. The guy in the gray shirt is my friend Rich Rogers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/SP.jpg

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to go, jump on it! It's not open to the general public, but you can try making friends with your local gun dealer and have him list you as one of his employees and get you a pass (lots of folks do just that). There's a charge of $25 because they have to do a background check on you.

I hope to see all of you at Shot Show 2013!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 10 2012, 12:51 PM)
Thanks to Cygnus for reminding me that I'd forgotten to post about my Shot Show experience like I promised.

It was a real good time and there were literally acres of products for you to check out and it's been calculated that if you wanted to visit every booth over the five days of the show during the show hours, you'd be able to only spend eleven seconds at each booth, that's how frickin' immense the thing is! Being a wilderness survival instructor, I focused on visiting the dealers that sold that kind of gear. I got to visit with just about every knife manufacturer you can think of, and I'm pleased to announce that the venerable Camillus Knife Company is fixing to come back in a big way and are featuring a line of very affordable survival knives designed by Les Stroud himself! For a preview, go here: Camillus Knives. Les was there and I actually got to meet him and talked with him for a good ten minutes about being a survival instructor, what a cool guy!

notworthy.gif Big Les fan here. That's so cool.

I wonder if Bear is related to Neil? unsure.gif

Look what my dear ol' Dad gave me!

Navy Arms .36 caliber Confederate Navy pistol, 30 years old and never been fired! When I got it home, I disassembled it to check it out and the oiled felt plug they put in the barrel for shipping was still in it! I now have all the gear I need to shoot it and will probably take it out sometime this week. I got the powder flask from a friend who sold it to me for only $20.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Revolver.jpg

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 10 2012, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 10 2012, 12:51 PM)

notworthy.gif Big Les fan here. That's so cool.

I wonder if Bear is related to Neil? unsure.gif

I miss his show. I bet he would be a neat guy to get to know. I would love to go backpacking with him once. I can only imagine how much I would learn.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 12 2012, 11:56 AM)
How often do youse guys with pistols get out to the range to make sure your aim is still sharp?

Once a month here. Cost keeps me from doing it more than that but I can hit what I am aiming at from any distance inside my home so once a month is enough, at least for accuracy. I probably should do draw and fire and house clearing drills more though.

I dont shoot much, time is a big factor. i can handle my shootin irons just fine. But it is always good to keep in tune. The 12gage doesnt need much aiming.lol. TSS, how is the range were you shoot? Maybe a meetup ?? Would have to be a weekend.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 12 2012, 10:56 AM)
How often do youse guys with pistols get out to the range to make sure your aim is still sharp?

Once or twice a month, training with three guns at a time on a rotating basis.

Since I got my Weatherby 7mm/08 Rem I just don't shot my Mosin Nagant anymore so I'm getting rid of it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 21 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 12 2012, 10:56 AM)

Once or twice a month, training with three guns at a time on a rotating basis.

Since I got my Weatherby 7mm/08 Rem I just don't shot my Mosin Nagant anymore so I'm getting rid of it.

We went this weekend to the range, and it was a 2 hour wait. Yeah right.

Try again another day. Since they closed on of the ranges in Milwaukee, the one I go to has been WAY too busy.