Loved Beyond a Lighted stage except for - - -

nicky6

It was a brilliant document but I really disliked the way it put down the 80's "synth" era. Some best songwriting and musical creativity in Rush's entire career in PoW, HYF and Presto.
  • Like 1

Jack Black is awesome!

I love him in The Holiday (eek...I just confessed i like a chick flick)

• Like 1

The jack black stuff, wish they would have had another artist besides him, really couldn't stand the part where hes singing spirit of radio lyrics. so cheesy. other than that perfect.

The only thing that really annoys me about that part is he missed a line when singing the lyrics, but I have to admit I think he made it up with the whole "vast reservoir of rocket sauce". That still makes me chuckle.

But, really, I don't think Jack Black intends for anyone of us to take him seriously....

It was a brilliant document but I really disliked the way it put down the 80's "synth" era. Some best songwriting and musical creativity in Rush's entire career in PoW, HYF and Presto.

Given the fact the synth era is so "controversial" among the fan base, I would suggest the documentary would have eroded its own credibility had it not addressed the disagreement among the fans about that time period. It would be akin to ignoring the fact that Peart didn't play on the first record.

Keep in mind that I am not at all a synth era hater. I rather enjoy it..... but I am in the minority on this board and in the Rush world.

• Like 2

Black didnt bug me, thought it was good comic relief, and genuine appreciation for the band. And tool or not, I loved what Corgan had to say.

I thought Corgan was spot on in many aspects. His line about wanting people to know how the band was marginalized was particularly good.

• Like 3

The part of BTLS that bothered me twas when Neil said that Moving Pictures was "when Rush became Rush". As if everything prior to MP was worthless. :wtf:

Maybe you are over thinking that? Geddy has said Tom Sawyer is the "quintessential" Rush song. That doesn't mean he is discounting all the other songs. I think Neil's comment was probably more in that vein.

• Like 1

yes they really didn't cover roll the bones at all.

There's more in the outtakes. It's pretty short, there was really no reason to leave this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1if66GHVnUA

That was cool, hadn't seen it. The rap was "pure satire" Ged?? That's revisionist history, you know when they put it out they thought it was super cool.

Exactly. I also wonder why they still continue to include the rap when they play it live... unless they are simply embracing how bad it was and want us all to suffer with them.

The part of BTLS that bothered me twas when Neil said that Moving Pictures was "when Rush became Rush". As if everything prior to MP was worthless. :wtf:

Maybe you are over thinking that? Geddy has said Tom Sawyer is the "quintessential" Rush song. That doesn't mean he is discounting all the other songs. I think Neil's comment was probably more in that vein.

On the other hand, Neil has said that he wishes that Rush hadn't had to release any of the records they made before Moving Pictures. So maybe Empty Mindless Spectre is simply assuming that Neil is being consistent with himself.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I'm indifferent to Jack Black really...but he's a fan of the band, so it's hard to dislike the guy.

On a different note, one of my personal favourite "artist quotes" (although short), was when Gene Simmons did the "yeah, oh, yeah" from the beginning of Finding My Way. I found it pretty funny, and cool that he acknowledged from that moment, they wanted Rush to open for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPx9986kCw

• Like 2

The jack black stuff, wish they would have had another artist besides him, really couldn't stand the part where hes singing spirit of radio lyrics. so cheesy. other than that perfect.

He's much better than Sebastian Bach, who bragged about what a fan he was but couldn't even recite the lyrics correctly.

• Like 3

He's much better than Sebastian Bach, who bragged about what a fan he was but couldn't even recite the lyrics correctly.

haha, sebastian bach is an aging drug addict. I don't think he can remember the words to youth gone wild, let alone a rush song that no one outside this board has heard

• Like 3

haha, sebastian bach is an aging drug addict. I don't think he can remember the words to youth gone wild, let alone a rush song that no one outside this board has heard

I was just about to make the same point. I take Bach at his word when he describes himself as a huge Rush fan. That he slipped up on a lyric doesn't make his claim suspect in my opinion. He probably can't remember lyrics to his own material, yet I suspect he's a fan of it.

• Like 2

I may be the minority on this one but I love Jack Black and Tenacious D. Very funny stuff. I was glad to see him on the show. As with Matt Stone. He makes fart jokes for a living too

I like Jack Black, but I didn't like his contributions here.

I was just about to make the same point. I take Bach at his word when he describes himself as a huge Rush fan. That he slipped up on a lyric doesn't make his claim suspect in my opinion. He probably can't remember lyrics to his own material, yet I suspect he's a fan of it.

It seemed obvious to me that he was a huge fan.

• Like 1

I may be the minority on this one but I love Jack Black and Tenacious D. Very funny stuff. I was glad to see him on the show. As with Matt Stone. He makes fart jokes for a living too

But to the point where his involvement kills the movie? I've read that a few times and that's ridiculous.

But to the point where his involvement kills the movie? I've read that a few times and that's ridiculous.

Absolutely not. I love the movie and his involvement doesn't detract from that at all.

Jack Black is awesome!

I love him in The Holiday (eek...I just confessed i like a chick flick)

Great movie but one of the rare times he wasn't trying to be funny. He's a good actor.

Edited by EagleMoon

I've only watched this doc twice and confess to being ignorant about who is who.

Who is the man that had Charlie Manson eyes that spoke a lot?

There was no caption the first time he spoke? We'll need more info than this.

I've only watched this doc twice and confess to being ignorant about who is who.

Who is the man that had Charlie Manson eyes that spoke a lot?

There was no caption the first time he spoke? We'll need more info than this.

If I get the chance, I will pop it in. He was sitting on some type of window seat (if I remember correctly) and had dark hair. He spoke quite a bit throughout the documentary.