Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

Buffalo Area Reeling from Snowstorm

November 18th, 2014

As predicted, the lee shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are being clobbered by lake effect snow right now.

Here’s a photo just posted to Facebook by someone stuck in traffic, obviously sitting under the main snow band coming off Lake Erie:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/Buffalo-snow-Jeremiah-William-1024x768.jpg

Cars stuck in a heavy snow squall on Tuesday morning, Nov. 18, 2014, presumably on the south side of Buffalo, NY (photo: Jeremiah William).

Already, 2 to 3 feet of snow are being reported, and the storm is expected to continue throughout the day. Local totals to 5 feet or more are possible…it all depends on how long the snow bands stay anchored over one spot.

Here’s the advice just posted by NWS Buffalo on their Facebook page:

“Travel within the lake effect band is IMPOSSIBLE, if you attempt to travel through the band you WILL GET STUCK. If you live in the south towns STAY PUT! If you live in the north towns DO NOT try traveling to the south towns.

I’m sure we will be hearing similar stories from the Watertown, NY area (to the lee of Lake Ontario) as the day progresses.

I will post a color image of the snow squalls from the MODIS satellite imager when it becomes available today…satellite overpasses are around 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

I have a cousin who lives in Orchard Park, who I've been meaning to call for a little while now.

I just heard on the news that the National Guard has been called up to help deal with the six feet of snow there.

When ever I see pictures like that, I'm so glad I have a big four wheel drive Tahoe. I've driven that thing through 2 feet of driving snow, and had no problems with traction. Visibility...that's a different story. :LOL:

I wonder how well your Tahoe would do in five or six feet of snow? Not too many vehicles can handle that.

Another update on this, there are many people who have been stranded on the streets and the highways since last night and have yet to have any help sent their way. It's rare to happen in snow storms but there could be some fatalities if these people don't get help soon. I understand if you had to work, I worked the swing shift last night and was able to get home just ahead of the storm. But if you weren't out on the road because of your job, then there was no reason for you to be on the highway after midnight last night since this storm was first forecast on friday. It's not like we didn't know this was coming. The technology they have to predict storms like this is very good today and it's very rare that our weather forecasts are wrong now.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

By the way, you guys complaining about temps in the 20s and 30s....I woke up to 8 degrees this morning, and the wind chill was below zero.

:pussy:

Yeah,

20s and 30s are a dream come true up here this time of year. :D

It is not our fault that you guys choose to live in such ridiculously cold places ;)

And the point is?,

I am not complaining. :LOL:

By the way, you guys complaining about temps in the 20s and 30s....I woke up to 8 degrees this morning, and the wind chill was below zero.

Yeah,

20s and 30s are a dream come true up here this time of year. :D

It is not our fault that you guys choose to live in such ridiculously cold places ;)

And the point is?,

I am not complaining. :LOL:

Exactly.

There is more than one reason SNWDOG is my license plate number. ;)

• Like 1

Camped out west of Chicago. It's only 17. Wind chill 9. So, that's 25 degrees warmer than SD, last night.

Very Thankful I'm not in Grand Rapids or Buffalo.

Take care and bring it home safe and sound... :)

Camped out west of Chicago. It's only 17. Wind chill 9. So, that's 25 degrees warmer than SD, last night.

Take care and bring it home safe and sound... :)

I gotta go to Grand Rapids tomorrow. Look at Google Maps traffic: it's a mess and lots of accidents. Hopefully, it will be cleaned up today.

Evidently, they got smacked in Ontario, too. The 400 was stopped from Barrie all the way to Toronto!

I told you dinner is on me when you are in Chicago. :| Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1

Agreed!

Our high temp here yesterday was 18.

Today it has struggled to get up to 30, and it actually feels balmy in comparison.

Let me clarify- I really like winter, and I don't mind the cold. But extreme cold for an extended period is a bummer.

Last winter was so cold that it feels like it only ended a month or two ago. And now, here it is again.

I still need to call my cousin who lives in the Buffalo area. I'll post back when (or if?) I reach her.

Let me clarify- I really like winter, and I don't mind the cold. But extreme cold for an extended period is a bummer.

Last winter was so cold that it feels like it only ended a month or two ago. And now, here it is again.

I still need to call my cousin who lives in the Buffalo area. I'll post back when (or if?) I reach her.

Blue J, where are you located? Are you in Michigan?

I told you dinner is on me when you are in Chicago. :|

I ran out of time in Morris, because I missed an exit in Iowa. I'm an idiot.

Blue J, where are you located? Are you in Michigan?

Not Michigan, but not too far off. I live in Dayton, Ohio (about an hour north of Cincinnati, for those who may not know).

Happens to the best of us. I was driving east on US 40 one time through Pennsylvania, and was supposed to make a turn north at Pittsburgh, but I missed it. The only thing I can offer in my defense is that it was in the middle of the night. But anyway...I was almost all the way to Cumberland, Maryland, before I figured out that I was actually traveling east-southeast instead of north.

• Like 1

Happens to the best of us. I was driving east on US 40 one time through Pennsylvania, and was supposed to make a turn north at Pittsburgh, but I missed it. The only thing I can offer in my defense is that it was in the middle of the night. But anyway...I was almost all the way to Cumberland, Maryland, before I figured out that I was actually traveling east-southeast instead of north.

:P

• Like 3

Now they are reporting 70'' inches in Buffalo. :facepalm:

And I am bi***** about the rain today.

Yes, I heard that that is equal to their entire season's average snowfall- and they've received that much in three days.

• Like 1

Now they are reporting 70'' inches in Buffalo. :facepalm:

And I am bi***** about the rain today.

Yes, I heard that that is equal to their entire season's average snowfall- and they've received that much in three days.

I have seen pictures of doors being caved in at homes. Hopefully there is some relief in sight.