Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

Tonight in Goatnut,TN it's freaking cold but me and my oldest son are outside next to our fire pit making smores. Not so bad

I wish I was there. Gotta love our Appalachian mountains, from Nova Scotia to Georgia!

Have you ever seen pictures of Goatnut?

I believe that is a made up place name. He says he lives around Johnson City, TN, but, perhaps he's closer to Erwin or Unicoi, which are right next to the mountains which border North Carolina. In fact, Irwin is a resupply point for Appalachian Trail hikers.
  • Like 1

8-12" possible Sun through Tue here in Minnesota.

Yay, drivers who haven't driven in snow in seven months on a Monday morning commute...

They drive at a snail's pace, right?

To paraphrase one of Rush's worst efforts...

Half the drivers drive too slow

While the other half drive too fast...

I guess it's a good thing at least that they don't drive at The Speed of Love...

(groans)

:o

:P

To paraphrase George Carlin- anybody who drives slower than you is a moron...and anybody who drives faster than you is a maniac!

Almost down to single digits (Fahrenheit) here this morning. We got about four inches of snow yesterday, and pretty much all of the schools closed for the day. Roads are clear today, but it's just damn cold.

Tonight in Goatnut,TN it's freaking cold but me and my oldest son are outside next to our fire pit making smores. Not so bad

I wish I was there. Gotta love our Appalachian mountains, from Nova Scotia to Georgia!

Have you ever seen pictures of Goatnut?

I believe that is a made up place name. He says he lives around Johnson City, TN, but, perhaps he's closer to Erwin or Unicoi, which are right next to the mountains which border North Carolina. In fact, Irwin is a resupply point for Appalachian Trail hikers.

I'm not familiar with Erwin or Unicoi...I went river rafting once in Hartford, Tennessee, which is also right on the border with North Carolina. I distinctly remember how gorgeous the drive east on I-40 was, to get there. Those North Carolina pines...

Buffalo Area Reeling from Snowstorm

November 18th, 2014

As predicted, the lee shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are being clobbered by lake effect snow right now.

Here’s a photo just posted to Facebook by someone stuck in traffic, obviously sitting under the main snow band coming off Lake Erie:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/Buffalo-snow-Jeremiah-William-1024x768.jpg

Cars stuck in a heavy snow squall on Tuesday morning, Nov. 18, 2014, presumably on the south side of Buffalo, NY (photo: Jeremiah William).

Already, 2 to 3 feet of snow are being reported, and the storm is expected to continue throughout the day. Local totals to 5 feet or more are possible…it all depends on how long the snow bands stay anchored over one spot.

Here’s the advice just posted by NWS Buffalo on their Facebook page:

“Travel within the lake effect band is IMPOSSIBLE, if you attempt to travel through the band you WILL GET STUCK. If you live in the south towns STAY PUT! If you live in the north towns DO NOT try traveling to the south towns.

I’m sure we will be hearing similar stories from the Watertown, NY area (to the lee of Lake Ontario) as the day progresses.

I will post a color image of the snow squalls from the MODIS satellite imager when it becomes available today…satellite overpasses are around 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

• Like 1

Tull, how are they on the ice? Do they have good grippers?

They do well, better then a lot of boots out there. Here's the one I have and as you can see they have the nice bottoms, they have other bottom on other boot, but this is the good tread.. But as any thing ICE is Nasty..

http://www.sportsauthority.com/graphics/product_images/pTSA-9692736dt.jpg

Buy some ice grippers. I use them on my wading boots when fishing during winter time. They work great!

• Like 1

November 18th, 2014

As predicted, the lee shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are being clobbered by lake effect snow right now.

Here’s a photo just posted to Facebook by someone stuck in traffic, obviously sitting under the main snow band coming off Lake Erie:

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/Buffalo-snow-Jeremiah-William-1024x768.jpg

Cars stuck in a heavy snow squall on Tuesday morning, Nov. 18, 2014, presumably on the south side of Buffalo, NY (photo: Jeremiah William).

Already, 2 to 3 feet of snow are being reported, and the storm is expected to continue throughout the day. Local totals to 5 feet or more are possible…it all depends on how long the snow bands stay anchored over one spot.

“Travel within the lake effect band is IMPOSSIBLE, if you attempt to travel through the band you WILL GET STUCK. If you live in the south towns STAY PUT! If you live in the north towns DO NOT try traveling to the south towns.

I’m sure we will be hearing similar stories from the Watertown, NY area (to the lee of Lake Ontario) as the day progresses.

I will post a color image of the snow squalls from the MODIS satellite imager when it becomes available today…satellite overpasses are around 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.

I have a cousin who lives in Orchard Park, who I've been meaning to call for a little while now.

• Like 1

November 18th, 2014

Any person dumb enough to drive a car in that situation deserves to be stuck. :facepalm:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 3

November 18th, 2014

Any person dumb enough to drive a car in that situation deserves to be stuck. :facepalm:

I think this is more of a case of people trying to get home before the storm hit and ended up getting caught while the snow intensified as they were trying to reach their destination. A lot of people have been stranded on the roads since last night. There's not too many people who will look outside at two or three feet of snow and intentionally say "I'm gonna try and get somewhere in this".

This huge lake effect snow band is mainly staying in south Buffalo on through to the south towns where they normally get a lot of snow anyways but even this is an insane amount for them. I work just south of the city and was told not to come in today because it's not worth it since there's driving bans from south Buffalo all the way through most of the towns south of the city. Our overnight guys where I work are stuck there because the morning guys were unable to get there to relieve them due to the bad weather. The storm is supposed to stick around for another few days so who knows how long they'll be stuck?

I live in the northern part of Buffalo and it's clear with very little snow on the ground right now. It's amazing to think that just 10-15 miles away from me there's this huge winter storm happening yet nothing is hitting up here yet. My area won't be spared though as the band is supposed to move up north by tomorrow and they rest of the city could see up to a foot of snow. These last two winter's have been insane. I've lived in this area my whole life and have never seen snow storms like this before.

Edited by J2112YYZ

November 18th, 2014

No kidding. Amazing to think its only November. I hope the rest of the winter isn't so bad. It's currently 18 degrees here now with a wind chill of 2. This is January weather.

• Like 1

November 18th, 2014

I think this is more of a case of people trying to get home before the storm hit and ended up getting caught while the snow intensified as they were trying to reach their destination. A lot of people have been stranded on the roads since last night. There's not too many people who will look outside at two or three feet of snow and intentionally say "I'm gonna try and get somewhere in this".

This huge lake effect snow band is mainly staying in south Buffalo on through to the south towns where they normally get a lot of snow anyways but even this is an insane amount for them. I work just south of the city and was told not to come in today because it's not worth it since there's driving bans from south Buffalo all the way through most of the towns south of the city. Our overnight guys where I work are stuck there because the morning guys were unable to get there to relieve them due to the bad weather. The storm is supposed to stick around for another few days so who knows how long they'll be stuck?

I live in the northern part of Buffalo and it's clear with very little snow on the ground right now. It's amazing to think that just 10-15 miles away from me there's this huge winter storm happening yet nothing is hitting up here yet. My area won't be spared though as the band is supposed to move up north by tomorrow and they rest of the city could see up to a foot of snow. These last two winter's have been insane. I've lived in this area my whole life and have never seen snow storms like this before.

I understand them wanting to get home,

But with that much snow falling in such a short time your chances are very slim at best. Stay where you are and wait it out is the best thing a person can do.

• Like 2

In the early eighties, I drove home from work in a storm like that once. I finally gave up about three miles from home, went into a diner, called a friend to come rescue me, then ordered a vodka gimlet. On the rocks.

:ebert: :cosmo:

• Like 1

November 18th, 2014

No kidding. Amazing to think its only November. I hope the rest of the winter isn't so bad. It's currently 18 degrees here now with a wind chill of 2. This is January weather.

Winter getting old over a month before it starts.

• Like 1

November 18th, 2014

I have a cousin who lives in Orchard Park, who I've been meaning to call for a little while now.

I just heard on the news that the National Guard has been called up to help deal with the six feet of snow there.

Wow, my heart goes out to the people of Buffalo... no one deserves weather like that!

Same he

Wow, my heart goes out to the people of Buffalo... no one deserves weather like that!

Same here,

But the folks there know what it's like living there and should be well prepaired for it.

November 18th, 2014

I just heard on the news that the National Guard has been called up to help deal with the six feet of snow there.

When ever I see pictures like that, I'm so glad I have a big four wheel drive Tahoe. I've driven that thing through 2 feet of driving snow, and had no problems with traction. Visibility...that's a different story. :LOL:
  • Like 1

By the way, you guys complaining about temps in the 20s and 30s....I woke up to 8 degrees this morning, and the wind chill was below zero.

:pussy:

• Like 2

November 18th, 2014

When ever I see pictures like that, I'm so glad I have a big four wheel drive Tahoe. I've driven that thing through 2 feet of driving snow, and had no problems with traction. Visibility...that's a different story. :LOL:

Thats just it,

Most folks don't have a rig like yours and make a bad choice to go out and drive. The Visibility in this case is a person's worst nightmare!

By the way, you guys complaining about temps in the 20s and 30s....I woke up to 8 degrees this morning, and the wind chill was below zero.

Yeah,

20s and 30s are a dream come true up here this time of year. :D

• Like 2

Yeah,

20s and 30s are a dream come true up here this time of year. :D

It is not our fault that you guys choose to live in such ridiculously cold places ;)